Newly Hatched Veil Not Eating

elise

My viel is 6 days old and has not eaten. I tried flightless fruit flies and 1 week old crickets. She is still active, but I am concerned. Advice Please!!

You might want to expose her to some natural light. When I bred veils natural light seemed to stimulate their appetite. In addition try immobilizing a small cricket by slightly crushing its head. The shaking seems to get the attention of finicky eaters. Place the cricket on a leaf where the veil can see.

Just my two cents.
Ed

Thanks

Thanks Ed, maybe you could help with this problem also. My baby climbed up the wire to the thermometer and fell (about 14") into the container with my 5 week old bearded dragons (the same one with the eating problem). Apparently she fell on her head because it is black and she won't open her eyes. When I found her she was lying in a small puddle of spilled water from the dragon's water bowl. I thought she was dead, but she wasn't. I dried her off with a paper towel and she started to climb around. She is really wobbly. I tried to e-mail a reptile vet, but he has yet to respond. Any advice?

Regards,
Elise

Chameleons are known to leap off tree branches to avoid predation. So 14" doesn't sound too damaging (i may be wrong). A 6 day old veil on a hunger strike is a serious issue and can be the reason for the wobbly disposition. If she has gone more that two days without a meal I would try to feed her with some bug juice (ingredients on adcham website). Remember this does cause more stress and is near impossible to administer due to their small size. If this one doesn't survive make it a general rule to buy chameleons at the age of 3 months or higher to avoid these issues.

Regardless of whatever help or advice any of us give you, you must get your cham to a vet asap. She doesn't sound in a good way at all.

Do you have any photos of the injured head?

What set-up do you have her in?

Read this link to get an idea of the type of information you need to provide in order for us to help you: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

The blackness could be bruising from the fall you mentioned, but what would she have fallen onto? Isn't there some substrate in the dragons' cage?

You also said that she climbed up a wire before she fell into the dragon's "container". Is it possible she could have gotten too close to her heat lights? The blackness could be a burn.

Where did you get a 6 day old Veiled? I'm still unsure as to how she managed to get into a bearded dragon enclosure. How have you got the enclosure's set up?

The problem with baby chameleons is they are tiny and to try and force feed will do more harm than good,is the chameleon drinking??
if so,use a product call critical care and also avipro is also good.
Try putting the baby in a really small viv like a small critter keeper with just a few pearches and some plants and the food movement and colour are what is needed to trigger the feeding response,small lobster roaches move fast and my babys go mad for them.
Good luck

Newly Hatched Veiled Not Eating

Is the baby drinking at all? It should be in a very small cricket keeper type container with a tiny plant so it can drink water from the leaves. Getting it to drink properly would be the first step. Dehydration will cause everything to shut down. A dehydrated baby won't eat either. Any light source should be totally outside the cage. It should not be able to get into other cages/containers or roam around much. It should be in a quiet area where it can't see other reptiles or pets. This would be too stressful for a sick baby. It needs a stress free environment. The dark head color does not sound good. A visit to a good reptile vet would be the best thing to do, if possible. Keep us posted............

Update

Thanks for all the advice.
I brought her to the vet today. The vet said it looks like a burn and wants me to apply Sulfadiazine cream to her head and tail. The only reason I have such a young cham is that I hatched her. My male and female were 6+ months old when I got them so I am new to the baby trials. The vet also wants me to put a cool humidifier on them (2 girls so far) so they can stay hydrated. The vet also said to tube feed them chicken baby food. The tube feeding was almost a disaster. I tried to tube feed the one with the head injury and gave her a little too much (hard to judge) and she stopped breathing. I just kept praying and gently rubbing her chest and belly after about 5+ minutes she started breathing again thanks to Jesus. Praise God. I thought for sure I killed her, but God brought her back. So that was really scarry.

My viel is 6 days old and has not eaten. I tried flightless fruit flies and 1 week old crickets. She is still active, but I am concerned. Advice Please!!
its probaly cant see the creckets or its sick you can tall its color or the food is to big.

The tube feeding was almost a disaster. I tried to tube feed the one with the head injury and gave her a little too much (hard to judge)
Make sure you don't squirt the food down her throat - rather let it drip into the front of her mouth, so that she can swallow it herself.
Read this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/tiny-veiled-chameleons-2608/ - it deals with force-feeding hatchlings.

Good luck. With force-feeding, head burns and falls into dragon enclosures it really would be a miracle for that baby to survive...

Last edited:
Update on babies

Thanks for all the advice.
I brought her to the vet today. The vet said it looks like a burn and wants me to apply Sulfadiazine cream to her head and tail. The only reason I have such a young cham is that I hatched her. My male and female were 6+ months old when I got them so I am new to the baby trials. The vet also wants me to put a cool humidifier on them (2 girls so far) so they can stay hydrated. The vet also said to tube feed them chicken baby food. The tube feeding was almost a disaster. I tried to tube feed the one with the head injury and gave her a little too much (hard to judge) and she stopped breathing. I just kept praying and gently rubbing her chest and belly after about 5+ minutes she started breathing again thanks to Jesus. Praise God. I thought for sure I killed her, but God brought her back. So that was really scarry.

The baby died yesterday. When I left in the morning she was doing good. She climbed on a silk plant stem and was balancing (which was great considering she couldn't open her eyes). When I came home her arms and legs were brown. I picked her up and she was stiff. That was sad.
On the up side another veiled hatched and was totally out of the egg by 6pm. This baby looks really healthy!! All of her yolk was gone. She just had a little spot on the umbilical cord. She is still fat today! The second baby who is now 4 days old just drank water from a leaf. So that is great! Maybe they both will survive. I only have 1 egg left. Hopefully this one is alive.

On the up side another veiled hatched and was totally out of the egg by 6pm. This baby looks really healthy!! All of her yolk was gone. She just had a little spot on the umbilical cord. She is still fat today! The second baby who is now 4 days old just drank water from a leaf. So that is great! Maybe they both will survive. I only have 1 egg left. Hopefully this one is alive.
That's good to hear. Try not to let the others get burnt and fall into the dragon enclosure...

The baby died yesterday.
On the up side another veiled hatched and was totally out of the egg by 6pm. This baby looks really healthy!!

I am sorry to hear about the veiled. You tried very hard to keep her alive. I know the other 2 siblings will do great. :) Post some pictures of these 2 guys when you get a moment.
Genie

So sorry about the little one :(

So sorry to hear about the little one that died. I kind of expected it. It is so hard to force feed them when they are so small. They usually end up inhaling just a tiny part of it which will cause a respiratory problem in the end. Just take comfort in the fact that you tried to help it survive and learn what you can from the situation. It's all a learning experience. Do post pictures of the babies :)

Update

Both of my baby girls are eating on their own now!!:) One is 11 days old and the other is 5 days old. I though the elder wasn't going to eat on her own, but she suprised me! Now she is a little piggie, they both are lol. I am so happy they are doing better. I also have a cool humidifier on them to keep them more hydrated.:) They are both drinking off of leaves also.

Back
Top Bottom