Beardy100

Hello, I have just joined this site and I’m after some advice please.
I have bought a 60x45x45 Exo Terra, I have all the substrate, plants, wood, vines, UVB bulbs, canopy, thermometer, hygrometer and I’m all ready to go except I’m unsure about the basking light.
Do I need this?
If so what holder do I need?
Do I leave it in over night?
Can I get one that doesn’t give off light?
What watt?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Hello, I have just joined this site and I’m after some advice please.
I have bought a 60x45x45 Exo Terra, I have all the substrate, plants, wood, vines, UVB bulbs, canopy, thermometer, hygrometer and I’m all ready to go except I’m unsure about the basking light.
Do I need this?
If so what holder do I need?
Do I leave it in over night?
Can I get one that doesn’t give off light?
What watt?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
That size enclosure is simply not big enough for a panther or veiled chameleon.

Please take a look at the BASIC care sheets https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Basking lights are essential not only for heat but the light that stimulates the chams basking responses. You should never have lights on overnight plus a drop in temps is required overnight.

I appreciate you are trying to set up before getting your cham, which I applaud but it seems very much like you need to do plenty more research in order to provide what these animals need and not be buying to a budget.

All the basic info is here, just take it in and have a re think about what's required. Then if you have specific questions or worries, there's plenty of great folk here to support you.

Thank you for your reply. I will get a larger enclosure tomorrow.
If I get one that’s 90cm tall which is what the care sheet says is ok, what watt bulb will I need

Every setup is slightly different. Some folk use ordinary household bulbs, personally I use 100 watt normal (not coloured) basking bulbs. All my basking bulbs are ABOVE the screen and not on it. I also use a dimming thermostat with the probe at the basking spot which automatically adjusts the temps for me. More cost but I use these on every reptile setup I have (6 off).

This is where setting up before hand really helps. You have time to adjust things before you put your cham in. Take some time on this and it will pay off.

Just a quick word on UVB. You need to use the tube type T5HO units and NOT coil type bulbs. This is very important. Personally I use 6% Arcadia units sat on top.

Take a listen at this podcast which is really useful at this stage. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/114-setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/

Back
Top Bottom