Newbie with questions...

RayenaeTargaryen

I recently purchased a vieled chameleon, about 3 weeks old. I read through the FAQs & the Chameleon Care thread and got a few answers to some questions that I had but I still have some more.

1. Should the heating lamp be on along with the UBV light or should they be on at separate times?

2. I have seen her eat maybe two crickets a day since I have had her. Is this normal or should she be eating more? After reading the Care section, I know I have to change how I'm feeding her.

3. I think it would be best to cup feed her rather than free range. Do I just simply place the food into the cup and hope she will go for it?

4. I mist her cage often. Is it possible to do it too often? It seems to dry pretty quickly (I live in FL), but I don't want to over do it.

Uhm...I think those are the only questions I have for now. It would be awesome if someone could answer these for me. Pi (my chameleon) and I would really appreciate it. :eek:

I have the UVB light on the same timer as the basking light. How big are the crickets that you are feeding her? Depending on how big they are she might be getting enough to eat. But pinheads I think one that young should be eating around 8-10 crickets a day. Though I am not well versed in the tiny ones... not yet at least XD I do know that when they get to be 3-4 months they can eat around 18-20 crickets sometimes. You might have to teach her to cup feed, though I don't cup feed so someone else will have to answer that question. It is possible to mist too often, just make sure everything dries well between mistings I mist every three hours for 3 minutes and sometimes add some extra hand mistings if it's really hot.

I recently purchased a vieled chameleon, about 3 weeks old. I read through the FAQs & the Chameleon Care thread and got a few answers to some questions that I had but I still have some more.

1. Should the heating lamp be on along with the UBV light or should they be on at separate times?

2. I have seen her eat maybe two crickets a day since I have had her. Is this normal or should she be eating more? After reading the Care section, I know I have to change how I'm feeding her.

3. I think it would be best to cup feed her rather than free range. Do I just simply place the food into the cup and hope she will go for it?

4. I mist her cage often. Is it possible to do it too often? It seems to dry pretty quickly (I live in FL), but I don't want to over do it.

Uhm...I think those are the only questions I have for now. It would be awesome if someone could answer these for me. Pi (my chameleon) and I would really appreciate it. :eek:

1. Heat and UVB at the same time, 12 hours on, 12 hours off (full darkness at night).

2. That is normal since you have just gotten her. She is getting used to her environment and is probably stressed. She will eat up to 10-15 later when she is more comfortable.

3. Hang the cup somewhere below the branches so she can walk over and simply shoot the bugs out of the cup.

4. Get a humidity gauge if you want, but most of the time just mist 3 times a day making sure that you mist long enough to form water drops on the leaves and that should be enough.

Thank you Jimmy, had no idea 3 week olds ate so much like the 3-4 month olds. Baby chams are such little pigs <3

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm getting a little worried about her eating habits, and since this is my first chameleon I'm unsure of how to go about handling some of this.

She seems to get really close to a cricket to eat and then she just sorta' turns away from it and doesn't eat them. I can't exactly force feed her but she looks skinny in my opinion. It's almost like she'd rather be friends with her food than eat it.

Can you post any pictures of her? And how big are the crickets? They might be too big for her and she might be intimidated.

Back
Top Bottom