newbie questions about humidity and spraying

campbell

I just bought my first 3 mth old panther chameleon. I'm keeping
him in a 20 g aquarium with silk and plastic plants. He's eating
1 or 2 crix a day. the temp is around 81 day to 69 nite.
I have a basking light for now but ordered a 100w MV buld
(should have it soon) and a 75 w haet bulb at nite ( 2' away).
Anyhow I read I should spry him 2 to 3 times a day. The first
day he was licking glass. Now he's kind of wigging out when I spray.
Should I back of the spraying? And I'm thinking about adding a plant.
I read the plant DB and I think a small Shefflera arboricola or a
red margin Dracaena or Neanhe Bella Palm. Which one do you think?
I read the Dracaena is slightly toxic, not sure??
Thanks a Ton!

You really need to read raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com - even if it's a panther, it still helps.

I use a ficus and a hibiscus... to be on the safe side.

Go with the shefflera..or two or three! Live is better, silk absorbs the droplets, plastic dosent 'hold' them well. Cover the soil to prevent it ingesting any, large smooth pebbles are good.

If he dosent like being misted, mist the plants more. Try a dripper system too.

P.s he should be eating far more than that. Check its enviroment, temps, hydration. Be sure it can easily find the food.

Hey Cam, welcome to the forums!
Before you get eaten alive (just kidding) I suggest you carefully read http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com and apply the info to your setup. You can adjust a few things for your panther (drop the heat a bit) but this site will help get you on track.

MV for a glass tank may roast your little one. If you insist on a glass tank, I might suggest a screen tank topper. Better yet, get a full screen enclosure.
All other questions (and more ) will be addressed on Brad's blog.

Good luck!

I just bought my first 3 mth old panther chameleon. I'm keeping
him in a 20 g aquarium with silk and plastic plants. Go with the Schefflera-washed and repotted in organic soil. He's eating
1 or 2 crix a day. He should be eating 10-15 1/4" crickets.the temp is around 81 day to 69 nite. This would be fine but make sure you have a digital thermometer of temp gum-analog dial type thermometers are crap.I have a basking light for now but ordered a 100w MV buld This is way too much for the tank-if you get a screen cage-and you should-this could be adjusted to work though I am not a fan.(should have it soon) and a 75 w haet bulb at nite ( 2' away). You do NOT need night heat unless your temps are dropping into the low 60's.Anyhow I read I should spry him 2 to 3 times a day. The first
day he was licking glass. Now he's kind of wigging out when I spray.
Should I back of the spraying? You should keep spraying.And I'm thinking about adding a plant.
I read the plant DB and I think a small Shefflera arboricola or a
red margin Dracaena or Neanhe Bella Palm. Which one do you think?
I read the Dracaena is slightly toxic, not sure??
Thanks a Ton!

The Raising Kitty blog is excellent-read as suggested.

Okay... so I read the article as suggested. Oh thank you all for replying as this
is very important to me. I understand from the article, since I'm using a glass tank, I should lightly mist and keep temps down. Other than that I think I'm doing it right. I'll try putting more than 5 crix in at a time. If I do use a
real plant I heard the crix can hide in the dirt an come out at night. So what can I do to avoid this or should I not worry about this? I can put large smooth rocks or maybe a screen over the soil???? Am I attempting the impossible by keeping him a glass tank and soon to be using a 100 w MV bulb? That's what the breeder uses???

Uhm, Well You should have a dripper, and continue spraying 4-5 times a day...

Welcome to the forums..

I am absolutley sure, you should get a screen cage.. Uhm... im pretty sure that chameleons about 3 months eat quite a few crickets, because they are growing,

I am new to this too, So.. Welcome to the forums!

And, about the soil thing, dont worry about it, just put rocks over it so the crickets cant go into it and you will be fine.

I heard the crix can hide in the dirt an come out at night. So what can I do to avoid this or should I not worry about this?

you could provide a shallow container with fresh carrot/greens/gutload on the cage floor for crix to gather at, less chance of them 'bugging', lol the cham. This is what I do. ofcourse, dont add more than 15-20 or so at any time. keeps them gutloaded too.

And, about the soil thing, dont worry about it, just put rocks over it so the crickets cant go into it and you will be fine.

That wont stop them climbing in the pots drainage holes though, most dont have mesh in the bottom, but you could re-pot them (as Brad suggest) and add mesh. They only get into soil for moisture though so I wouldnt worry.

I think I will try the sheflera. I'll repot it using organic soil with a screen on bottom. Where can I get organic soil, Home Depot? Or any nusery? Are they
all safe? What to wash it with? Plain water? For that matter what's safe to clean the bottom of tank with? I've just been wipeing with damp tissue. Did I mention I just got him 3 days ago? Don't you think I should cut him some slack on the only eating a couple crixs and give him some time to get used to his new home before he starts eating like a horse?
Thanks a ton! You info is greatly appreciated!

Very well put but, your chameleon is growing they need lots of food, mine when it was 3 months would eat around 12 per day, now its down to 8, My cham i will feed 2-3 in servings, so that way when shes full, theres like, 1 maybe 2 crickets roaming..

For your chameleon to feel comfortable, i think he should be fed his diet that he will stick to (8 - 12 per day, or until hes full) , So then he will be used to his diet.. Remember not to load up his cage with too many, crickets will bite/bug your cham when hes trying to sleep, and also crickets will try to eat your chams feces, and then your cham eats the crickets... So Do not load it up :p

And to was the plant lots of people wash with non toxic dish soap, and water and wash like 3x and rinse all the soap off, clean the roots with water (Not sure if you use soap here, I would use it..) and rinse VERY well... Then plant in organinc potting soil, and put rocks over the soil, so that crickets dont go into it..

Im rather new to this too, And im sure someone will correct me, if i am wrong

Welcome to the forums! and goodluck with your new Family member! :p

Any Questions feel free to ask - Were here to help..

-Levi

He is growing, let him eat like a horse, Make sure you gut load and Dust his food.
Another Hint: As mentioned before, Get a much bigger screened cage for the Growing little monster:)

I am not a big proponent of letting baby chameleon eat as much as they like.
It's too risky, imo.

An overweight chameleon is as bad as an underweight chameleon.
Moderation.. moderation moderation is the key.

but, yes 1 - 2 crickets/ day is not enough.
But, I wouldn't let him eat 40 or 50 crickets just because he wants to.

He is growing, let him eat like a horse, Make sure you gut load and Dust his food.
Another Hint: As mentioned before, Get a much bigger screened cage for the Growing little monster:)

LOL 'Growing little monster' :rolleyes: Hahahah i dont know why, but that comes off as really funny to me.. Haha :p

Whats risky? :confused:

risk of getting him Over weight and also getting MBD.
1 article from Kammers:
The very real risk of overfeeding during this life stage is a high potential for MBD (metabolic bone disease) by misjudging the calcium ratios to food intake. It's too difficult to manage proper supplementation when offering large volumes of food. By growing your chameleon slowly and steadily through this period of their life, you are much more likely to provide them with strong, dense bones as opposed to weak, brittle bones from accelerated growth rates the chameleons can't keep up with.

Female veiled, and about |_______| <- That size of crickets. :p

That would be the biggest there, most likely ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom