Newbie question on watering a baby cham

shedevil7953

I see all kinds of postings about proper hydration. I took out the substrate and am using plain old newspaper. If I mist for 5 minutes or until he starts to drink, the bottom of the tank would be soaking wet. He's still a baby so I've got him in a 10 gal. tank. I've been misting just until I see the run off on the plants. I've only seen him drink one time and that was the 2nd day I had him. I've also been misting the cham but not too long because I can tell he's not crazy about it. I've also tried the drinking cup with pinhole dripping into another cup below it but he just looked at it. I think he didn't care for the cup in the tank catching the water. Should I keep trying that method?

Thanks.

Last edited:
with a baby i would have the lower cup screened off (avoid drowning) and the idea is to have water dripping onto leaves then to cup not neccessarilty drink from bottom cup. how old is he?

with a baby i would have the lower cup screened off (avoid drowning) and the idea is to have water dripping onto leaves then to cup not neccessarilty drink from bottom cup. how old is he?
okay, got it. I need to reposition the tank so the leaves catch the water then drain off into the cup. I posted pictures over the weekend and was told he's probably 3 months old.

i believe a three month old needs a screen cage so it might be time to consider this

Good luck

Sean

Good News!

I bought 2 small potted pothos yesterday. Brought them home, washed them up thoroughly. Misted right after I put them in with Sage. Not only do the water droplets stay on the real plant vs. the silks, but the baby intuitively knew exactly what to do! He went over to one of them and took a chunk out of a leaf! Not just once, 3 times! I'm thrilled to absolutely know he's getting his water. Hopefully, the pothos will help to increase the humidity level too. Thanks so much for all of your help! :D

Back
Top Bottom