Newbie mom

LGee

I just ‘adopted’ Roger, my juvenile veiled, male chameleon yesterday. I’ve done a ton of research on his species and I believe he has the perfect enclosure set up but just looking for clarification on feeding. He’s about 3” long from nose to bum (tail not included). The Reptile Store (literal name) told me I should feed him 6 crickets (one size up from micros) every other day. They told me that they fed him yesterday but I offered him 6 today through cup feeding method and he gobbled them up within minutes. I obviously don’t want him to get obese, but is this enough for my little alien?

I feed them as much as they will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding and leave one or two crickets in the cage for a snack.
You can tell when they're getting fat and if they do...just slow down. You don't want them to head towards MBD.

You might want to answer the questions in the how tomaskmformhelp thread near the too of the health forum so we can help you better.

I just ‘adopted’ Roger, my juvenile veiled, male chameleon yesterday. I’ve done a ton of research on his species and I believe he has the perfect enclosure set up but just looking for clarification on feeding. He’s about 3” long from nose to bum (tail not included). The Reptile Store (literal name) told me I should feed him 6 crickets (one size up from micros) every other day. They told me that they fed him yesterday but I offered him 6 today through cup feeding method and he gobbled them up within minutes. I obviously don’t want him to get obese, but is this enough for my little alien?
Please fill out this form so we can better help you. Provide pictures of your entire enclosure lights included!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 3-4 months old?
  • Handling - giving him time to settle in first, but has eaten off my hand as well as from a cup.
  • Feeding - Have been feeding calcium dusted crickets but picked up a small amount of Phoenix worms, silk worms and butter worms as treats
  • Supplements - have Rep-Cal without D3, ZM repti calcium with D3 and ZM Reptivite
  • Watering - have been manually misting 3-4x per day but got the Exo Terra Solo Monsoon contraption which seems like a piece of crap to me but he loved it
  • Fecal Description - Nicely formed # 2’s and white #1’s
  • History - no previous history. Came from a breeder that the store deals with exclusively. As far as the store is concerned, they keep their adoptable (hate the word retail as they are living, sentient beings) in a very healthy environment.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze large size for now. Plan on moving him up to the XL once local suppliers have stock in.
  • Lighting - Flukers ceramic 8.5” dome with 50 watt halogen bulb, Sun Blaster T5HO combo with reflector
  • Temperature - Cage floor is 72 degrees, basking area is around 85-90 (use a temperature gun), lowest overnight temp is 70 degrees.Lowest overnight temp?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Humidity ranges from 31 to 50
  • Plants - putting in tomorrow after cleansing them: money tree (tall), compact dracena and hibiscus
  • Placement - in the living room by a wall corner. Currently on an end table but getting a higher table for him tomorrow. His placement is off side of a window which he loves (basks in natural sunlight in the morning and loves it)
  • Location - southern Canada

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

I’d love to see a pic or your little one and the enclosure too! You’ll probably want to post a pic that includes the lighting for correct distance. Your form looks pretty good, although 90 seems a bit warm for his age but someone with more experience with your type of chameleon will chime in soon. Your chameleon will also benefit from higher humidity at night but your day humidity looks good. CaskAbove.com has feeder schedules, light distance info, setup and supply and maintenance lists that might help you with your new baby. Hope this helps and Welcome to the fam! ☺️

I’d love to see a pic or your little one and the enclosure too! You’ll probably want to post a pic that includes the lighting for correct distance. Your form looks pretty good, although 90 seems a bit warm for his age but someone with more experience with your type of chameleon will chime in soon. Your chameleon will also benefit from higher humidity at night but your day humidity looks good. CaskAbove.com has feeder schedules, light distance info, setup and supply and maintenance lists that might help you with your new baby. Hope this helps and Welcome to the fam! ☺️
D994B3DA-2C6E-43CE-AD97-9A5490A73097.jpeg

Attachments

• 26BEC6E3-3E93-42DB-8906-8F166F1BCEA6.jpeg
    26BEC6E3-3E93-42DB-8906-8F166F1BCEA6.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 79
  • BE66EBBD-7B1B-484D-B84C-FADEE9E06A9F.jpeg
    BE66EBBD-7B1B-484D-B84C-FADEE9E06A9F.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 84
  • FE818305-3431-45F8-8415-3758C87F3964.jpeg
    FE818305-3431-45F8-8415-3758C87F3964.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 253A8122-4E4C-479E-BE46-7075672B6801.jpeg
    253A8122-4E4C-479E-BE46-7075672B6801.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 78
So let me introduce lil Roger and his set up ❤️ The last thing I need to add to his enclosure is the money plant but he had a lot of stimulation today so I didn’t want to stress him out as I’ll need to remove him from enclosure and rearrange artificial vines and branches to accommodate the plant. Considering it is only a full day 3 of him being home, he seems to be adjusting beautifully and he’s melting my heart with his little routine. He LOVED the 2 silk worms I fed him after his crickets this morning!

You need to take out any and all fake plants and you’ll need lots foliage. Neptune the Chameleon has lots of good videos so definitely check her out. You can get branches from outdoors no sap and clean them. You’ll need many new plants as well. Can I see a picture of the back of hid feet to identify if he is a boy?
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://m.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?disable_polymer=true&itct=CA4Q_FoiEwiY7vrInYvvAhVD1MQKHU1-D24%3D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMzM6Zuzpg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJ9jKXCGoE

Attachments

• 778FD659-1F7F-42BF-9B0C-5981813F050E.jpeg
    778FD659-1F7F-42BF-9B0C-5981813F050E.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 7F6B9C2C-F4D8-4A88-8E03-E8E747E77A00.jpeg
    7F6B9C2C-F4D8-4A88-8E03-E8E747E77A00.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 74
  • AC6A15DB-7F29-43F9-BDDD-4BD8E648F4BE.jpeg
    AC6A15DB-7F29-43F9-BDDD-4BD8E648F4BE.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 4338951F-DA0B-4B78-9B7C-ED706B20C79D.jpeg
    4338951F-DA0B-4B78-9B7C-ED706B20C79D.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 68
You need to take out any and all fake plants and you’ll need lots foliage. Neptune the Chameleon has lots of good videos so definitely check her out. You can get branches from outdoors no sap and clean them. You’ll need many new plants as well. Can I see a picture of the back of hid feet to identify if he is a boy?
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://m.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?disable_polymer=true&itct=CA4Q_FoiEwiY7vrInYvvAhVD1MQKHU1-D24%3D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMzM6Zuzpg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJ9jKXCGoE
Thank you so much for the info! I’m having a really hard time finding live Pothos vines in Canada at the moment, so put in fake plants on the top so he has something to drink from and hide in. He has a live dracena and hibiscus at the bottom. A live Money plant will go in tomorrow but it means that I’ll have to put him in his little carrier for 20-30 minutes while I reorganize. Just FYI, I spent almost 3 hours today meticulously washing (and then rinsing & rinsing) his live plants, plant rocks and cork wood. I also re-potted plants into organic soil and pinned substrate netting over it prior to putting rocks on top. I hope this is proper!

My feedback in Red/bold

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 3-4 months old? Are you sure of the gender? Can you post a picture of the back of his feet please!
  • Handling - giving him time to settle in first, but has eaten off my hand as well as from a cup. Just do cup for now he’s settling in like you said and once he does you can start hand feeding
  • Feeding - Have been feeding calcium dusted crickets but picked up a small amount of Phoenix worms, silk worms and butter worms as treats I don’t recommend butter worms so no more of those, Phoenix worms/bsfl and silkworms are staple feeders as well as crickets. Treats are like hornworms, super worms, and wax worms etc.
  • Supplements - have Rep-Cal without D3, ZM repti calcium with D3 and ZM Reptivite Does the reptivite have D3?
  • Watering - have been manually misting 3-4x per day but got the Exo Terra Solo Monsoon contraption which seems like a piece of crap to me but he loved it Misting should usually only be once before lights turn on and once before lights turn off for 2-5+ minutes. If you have a hard time retaining humidity you can add shower curtains to the sides of the enclosure. I don’t recommend monsoons like you said they are crap. Mist kings are more recommended and worth it!
  • Fecal Description - Nicely formed # 2’s and white #1’s He should be tested for parasites at the vet. Drop off two more droppings in case they missed anything as well.
  • History - no previous history. Came from a breeder that the store deals with exclusively. As far as the store is concerned, they keep their adoptable (hate the word retail as they are living, sentient beings) in a very healthy environment. What store? I guarantee you if they’re selling them to pet stores they do not
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze large size for now. Plan on moving him up to the XL once local suppliers have stock in. You can get the XL but I recommend the DIY one it’s better quality but whichever will work. The minimum size is 2x2x4 but bigger is better!
  • Lighting - Flukers ceramic 8.5” dome with 50 watt halogen bulb, Sun Blaster T5HO combo with reflector Ok so that’s not the right basking bulb so I’d change it to a regular incandescent house bulb wattage varies but I use a 75 watt and it provides the correct temperatures but as long as the wattage you get provides good temps you’re good.
  • Temperature - Cage floor is 72 degrees, basking area is around 85-90 (use a temperature gun), lowest overnight temp is 70 degrees.Lowest overnight temp? Basking is WAY TOO high especially for a baby 80°F max
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Humidity ranges from 31 to 50
  • Plants - putting in tomorrow after cleansing them: money tree (tall), compact dracena and hibiscus Pothos are great as well! Provided a chart for more plants
  • Placement - in the living room by a wall corner. Currently on an end table but getting a higher table for him tomorrow. His placement is off side of a window which he loves (basks in natural sunlight in the morning and loves it) I don’t know if he “LOVES” it. I’d try moving him away from the window they can cause stress to a chameleon. Is the living room filled with people and lights at night and things like that?
  • Location - southern Canada

--------------

Please Note:
Idea on how you could do it. It’s just an idea you can use it as a reference. To attach branches and plants here I recommend Dragon strand Ledges they have some for repribreeze cages but I recommend you get the new enclosure ASAP so you don’t have to spend more money getting the right sizes. This is the DIY one I was talking about. Read through the chameleon academy link I put before and read through their entire page if you can they have the most accurate up to day info. Read through the husbandry program and listen to podcasts! https://www.diycages.com/collections/vertical-screen-reptile-chameleon-cages/products/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage
https://www.chameleonschool.com/safe-plants-for-chameleons/

Attachments

• DF6F0914-CD6D-43FF-9B4B-B7E17B5E01CC.jpeg
    DF6F0914-CD6D-43FF-9B4B-B7E17B5E01CC.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I so appreciate you’re advice!
He’s definitely a male as he has spurs. Just being respectful to not photograph him too much since he’s acclimating.
His crickets (other than worms) have been dusted with calcium and got a dusting of calcium with D3 today. I plan to dust every day with calcium and rotate Saturdays with calcium +D3 and multivitamins.

He’s definitely a male as he has spurs. Just being respectful to not photograph him too much since he’s acclimating.
His crickets (other than worms) have been dusted with calcium and got a dusting of calcium with D3 today. I plan to dust every day with calcium and rotate Saturdays with calcium +D3 and multivitamins.
Do the multivitamins have d3?

Re misting, I allow him to warm up in the morning for 30 mins before he gets misted. After that has dried up a bit, I cup feed him with crickets and have experimented with putting worms on the top of my hand.

Yes, I have 3 for him. Calcium, calcium with D3 and multivitamin.
Yeah but the multivitamins do those have d3? Can I see a picture? The schedule was good if the multivitamins don’t have d3. There are multivitamins with d3 and without that’s why I’m asking.

Back
Top Bottom