newbie heat advice pls

nimax67

OK so I've bought the reptibreeze cham start up kit that comes with the mini deep dome lamp fixture. It has the 5.0 UVB light and the 40 watt daylight blue bulb. What is best for general/night heating? My room temp can sometimes below 16C (60F across the pond) in winter, so am concerned about maintaining general/night heat with the mesh sides. Should I get a second heat lamp and if so, what type? Infra red, moonlight, ceramic, what? I want to get it set and ready and running perfect before I get him home. Please advise?

If you are only down to 60F, you don't need any heat at night. Your cham is fine down to almost 10C/50F without extra heat at night so long as he has a basking spot in the morning to warm back up. Cooling down at night is actually good for them.

+1 for the night temp drop. I don't start to worry till I see mid 50's (13C) in their outdoor cages. As long as it's warm and have access to a proper basking spot during the day . If it does start to get colder than you feel is safe, a ceramic heat emitter (out side the cage) or heat pad (under the cage) on a thermostat, for radiant heat, would be best. (IMO)

Chams actually do well with a nighttime heat drop, and if it's a girl, slightly lower temps can delay egg laying and thus prolong their life.

Back
Top Bottom