Chameleon mad when heat lamp is turned on

:unsure: Following this and think in the future I shall err on the side of caution and just provide the vague statement that colored lights are not ideal for sensitive reptile eyes.
I dunno it was the one bulb in the cham kit that Bill said could be used... And in the info he put out after the class it says nothing about replacing the bulb for heat that comes with the kit https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleonkit/ I would think if the blue daylight bulbs actually were harmful then it would be something he would mention to replace.

I'm just trying to figure it out so I understand why that light is ok....trying to make sense of it all...because I know that different colors of light affect different things. Sorry if my curiousity upset anyone.

I'm just trying to figure it out so I understand why that light is ok....trying to make sense of it all...because I know that different colors of light affect different things. Sorry if my curiousity upset anyone.
It most definitely is a good thing to have nailed down. Unfortunately it is confusing to those of us (me) who know that there are different colors in light spectrums (even though our human eyes can’t see most) and what that all means to chameleon vision. I can’t recall where/who said what about blue lights, but I have seen both sides said to be correct. Somewhat recently I watched a YouTube video in which it was said that all colored lights are bad for reptile eyes...or was it an article I read?

I know I've weighed in on conversations about colored lights and I think I've said they aren't good too. There are so many eye issues with chameleons that don't seem to be solved that I'm wondering how much of it has to do with our lights. Since we can't see the difference in how much of what color spectrum is in each light we might be accidentally playing a part in these eye issues....which is why I'm pursuing it so much...and likely being annoying or upsetting to some.

It took me years of pursuing the question about the need for balance between vitamin A and D3...I expect it will take me years to figure this out too...and it's never easy cause I don't have a lab to study things in and not enough science background either.

Sorry for derailing the thread @AustinDc1205 ...I'll let it get back on course now.

I know I've weighed in on conversations about colored lights and I think I've said they aren't good too. There are so many eye issues with chameleons that don't seem to be solved that I'm wondering how much of it has to do with our lights. Since we can't see the difference in how much of what color spectrum is in each light we might be accidentally playing a part in these eye issues....which is why I'm pursuing it so much...and likely being annoying or upsetting to some.

It took me years of pursuing the question about the need for balance between vitamin A and D3...I expect it will take me years to figure this out too...and it's never easy cause I don't have a lab to study things in and not enough science background either.

Sorry for derailing the thread @AustinDc1205 ...I'll let it get back on course now.
If people don't ask questions you can't find answers

Maybe shooting Bill Strand a message. I’m sure it’s got to be something that may have come up already or would be a great subject to explore. He does know some who have the labs, backgrounds and such to investigate.

You would never upset anyone. ever!

This is the exact bulb. Zoomed, Zilla, and Fluckers makes one. But the one that comes in the kit is the zoomed brand in a 60 watt.
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-dayli...MIx667lemC-gIV4w59Ch3tmA8JEAQYASABEgI-Y_D_BwE

Welcome! I know you are getting a lot of info here. Just want to let you know that the dual light fixture is not a waste as you can use one socket for the basking bulb and the other for a plant light bulb which your plants will need. There is no way around getting a 24" linear uvb. improper uvb leads to sickness, metobolic bone disease and possible death. If it over hangs thats fine as you may upgrade to a larger cage once he is full grown. all plants should be live and the only vines i trust are made by flukerfarms.com with no leaves! They have 3 different sizes that can help you create a jungle gym for your cham. Chams like to go as high as possible for safety. They are tree dwellers and will rarely go to the floor. So look at a lot of setups and go to the recommeded links. Here on the forum we understand hiw much misinformation is out there so companies can sell unneeded products. Best of luck. Of my cham opens is mouth wide and twists around every mirn under the heat lamp. Your cham is not disliking the light, he is just doing stretches and color changes as his morn routine. If he hated it he would not go under it. You need to offer additional handout spots to. One is not enough. You will get there it just takes time and commitment!

This is his enclosure of right now. The heat lamp is turned off
Hiya! So based on this pic you’re gonna need WAY more coverage. Real
plants only. If he has the option to go underneath leaves and thermoregulate he may tolerate the heat light better. He most likely feels exposed and can’t get much variation in temperatures because there’s no areas of shade or coverage.

Oh my 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ That kit was so expensive
I did the same thing. It’s a bummer but the best option for your little guy is to get it the right equipment. I started with the most essential stuff first and slowly replaced things over the span of a month or so. Start with the UVB light so your little ones doesn’t develop MBD. We are all here to help you along the way so please ask as many questions as you need. We all want you and your Chameleon to have the best experience.

Is he doing it in the morning? Mine does that. Every morning. I think the puffing up is him trying to get as much heat as possible. Going dark- also absorbing heat. The gaping I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe yawning or showing dominance?
Mine puffs and us dark black when he goes to his basking branch and I freaked out at first and sent a pic to my breeder who reassured me that this is how the absorb heat

Back
Top Bottom