Newbie from Cleveland!

Tatooineboy

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and new to the realms of chameleon owning. I just got my very first chameleon this weekend, so I'm now a proud owner and parent :)

Hope to talk to you guys and gals later!

Thanks!

l_6b12e1931f81ebcc097c4b32e325bc5b.jpg

Welcome Cleveland and congrats on your new baby boy. What is his name? What made you get a cham? Have you done your research? Just a few questions for ya.
Debby

Thanks!

I've always had an admiration for Chams since I was little, but my parent's weren't sold on the idea. So after college and settling here in Cleveland, I decided to go ahead with the idea and get one. I did a bit of reading on the animal, bought the supplies (lights, fixtures, plants, food), and found a local breeder.

I found this website today, but wish I had found it earlier. The cage I have now for him is a bit too big, so I'll just divide in it two and use the upper half. This way, he'll be able to find his food better.

His name is Baron :) I hope to post some pictures of him soon.

READ READ READ!!! Adcham.com, chameleonnews.com, flchams.com, bluebeastreptiles.com, Any websites under site sponsers. Or just post a question on this thread. Do you have any questions in mind?

I have another thread under Housing, too. I have reduced my cage (4'x2'x2') to half of its height because I was afraid (and some members here agreed) that it was too large and Baron (my cham) was not finding his food.

Another issue I have is that I made a cup feeder (carved-out old milk container w/ screening) to hold the crickets, but they seem to climb and jump out of his regardless.

Additionally, when I bought the cage, it had wire mesh for its walls. I wasn't thinking when I bought this that the crickets would be able to escape- which many did- so I reinforced the wire with additional window screening, so they can not escape. When I cut out the screening, I left enough along the outside of the framework so that I could seal the edges with tape. Then I used cable ties to attach the screening at the four corners of every side to make it tight.

Other than those issues, he seems to be doing okay. He is a bright green when "hiding" in the leaves and branches, but then turns a few shades darker when he starts to crawl outside the safety of these plants. Baron is very shy when I'm around and dips back into the leaves when I go to check-up on him. His stool is solid and white/black.

I hope to post more pictures of him, but he is camera shy. Once I get the camera activated, he is already trying to hide. lol

Umm for feeding issues, I would use cup feeding to feed him. As for the cage the 4' X 2' X 2' it should be good for his whole life LOL. Umm you might either want to change the cup feeder than. Take a plastic cup and use that. That might work. Hope this helps

Yeah, I'll just remove the bottom of it when he becomes bigger, then he'll have the entire 4' height.

For this cup feeding, all I am doing is carving out a potion from the side of the cup, attaching some screening and let the crickets sit at the bottom? Won't they jump out?

Back
Top Bottom