New Vieled Chameleons!

Lizzybug27

Hello everyone! I am new to chameleons and to this forum!

I have recently purchased a juvenile vieled chameleon. I know I have read that they can be the grumpiest, and rudest chameleons, so I have been trying to tame him by hand feeding him. However, lately he has been running away from my hand, and today for the first time he hissed at me.

When I feed him I usually let some of the crickets go, and then hold the rest of them for him to eat out of my hand. I never make him crawl onto my hand when feeding him though, could that be a problem? I also feed him mealworms by hand every once in awhile.

Is there anything else I could do to help taming him? Or am I doing it wrong?

Thank you guys!

congrats on your purchase. how long have you had your cham? it takes time and patience. every cham is different and dont expect him to like handling at all or ever. ive had my guy for two months and he just stopped puffing up and running away from me. but still no handling, i would say he now tolerates my presense lol. be patient and consistent. also, no mealworms. grab some super worms instead. good luck

congrats on your purchase. how long have you had your cham? it takes time and patience. every cham is different and dont expect him to like handling at all or ever. ive had my guy for two months and he just stopped puffing up and running away from me. but still no handling, i would say he now tolerates my presense lol. be patient and consistent. also, no mealworms. grab some super worms instead. good luck

Haha, yea! I've had him for about a week now, so it makes sense that he's being angry with me. It's just always scary as a new pet owner, dont wanna do anything wrong! Thanks so much!

Maybe try hand feeding before free ranging crickets. Use his hunger as a motivational tool.Hunger will override fear eventually. Dont starve or withhold, just hand feed first. If he takes 1or 2, then let the rest go and repeat next day. Keep us posted and welcome!

I have a juvenile Male veiled, and hes a shy and grumpy fellow to. I've been told the older they get (bigger) the less threat you are because you wont be as big. I've had mine 4 days and yesterday he let me touch his toe before he jerked away real quick (looked like he said eww germs!) Lol. But hes been approving. I dont let him eat from my hand because he sees my hand hes gone, but he has came closer to me when I held the egg carton and let him get a few crickets off. Now my female veiled took some time to, every morning I would go talk to her while I mist her enclosure, i would watch her eat and give her a horn worm for a treat the next day and slowly work my way toward her everyday. Now she sees your hand she just walks right on up. Takes a little time but they (some) warm up to you.

Back
Top Bottom