New Veiled Chameleon

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - chameleo calyptratus, age unknown, sex unknown, it has been 1 month
Handling - twice a week
Feeding - pinhead crickets, twice a day, i use tetra calcium with no d3
Supplements - tetra calcium, once a month
Watering - flukers water dripper, 3 times a day, I do so my cham drink
Fecal Description - he is a lite green most of the time and his droppings are normal, no he hasn't
History - he hasnt been eating lately

Cage Info:
Cage Type- glass 18 by 18 by 18
Lighting - well i dont have a light but i use exo terra night glo 20 watt
Temperature - i keep it at 80 to 83 degrees
Humidity - i keep it at 70 to 80%
Plants - no i am not useing live plants
Placement - i have it near my window and no cars pass by most of the time
Location - Horizon City, TX

Read up on the stuff posted ASAP! just from watching the video like another posted I don't see a UVB light, he HAS TO HAVE this.

I also don't see a temperature gauge, for a reptile (and particularly a chameleon) temps are not something you can just guess at, they are cold blooded so what heat/cooling you give them is the only heat/cooling they have. you can save some on a temp gauge by getting one at a home improvement store (like home depot or lowes) get one that also shows the humidity.

there is alot more you need to change around (read the blog veildedchams linked). chameleons are not easy pets and there suplies cost a good bit, if you can't aford it IMO you should look for some one who can take care of it and either sell it or give it to them, maybe when your older and money is less a issue you'll be able to keep one.

as it is if you don't (or can't) make some real changes you chameleon will get sick and die.

Andrew, you need to get a uvb light ASAP. Chameleons cannot live without it. Either that or get him outside in the sun until you can get a light, but do not put that glass cage in the sun, it will get too hot. He is a young chameleon and they cannot go a long period of time without food like a healthy adult can. Why is he not eating, because you have no food? As I said, if he is getting sun through the window it is only gonna produce heat but he will not ge the benefit of UVB through the glass. you need to dust your crickets every day with the calcium. Also get a calcium WITH d3 and use that twice a month and also get a multivitamin to use twice a month too. You need to feed your crickets fresh fruits and vegetables.

Chameleon Info:

seeing that your from the south on the gulf of texas your in good for temp when its 70+ degrees out and sunny put the little guy out for an hour that will let you cancel out the vit d. it will be getting it naturally. and you will only really have to do that once a week. 2 i use zoomeds cages and let me tell you buy them off of amazon you will save big money on it. average store for the big ones is 170-199 dollars on amazon 84 bucks brand new. but you can get a smaller one like the 18*18*30 inch cage for now. when they hit their growth spurt they get big fast and thats when the aggresiveness kicks in on their territory they will get over it soon just put you hand next to them like i do with mine ad they will soon learn their hissing doesn't scare you or know your not going to harm them. my 2 1/2 year old will either get on my hand or not either way i don't force him i leave that up to him. have fun an enjoy your little guy. and if you want to know more just call any or go into any reptile store most of them will answer any questions you ask but that glass case has got to go they need the breeze with a screen cage homie!!!

Horizon city is NOT the gulf, it is just outside city limits of El Paso, VERY VERY DRY AREA, sandstorms and the lot. 5% humidity average.

El Paso/Horizon City area is the furthest west you can get in texas, its on the part of texas that points west. On the mexican border.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - chameleo calyptratus, age unknown, sex unknown, it has been 1 month
Handling - twice a week
Feeding - pinhead crickets, twice a day, i use tetra calcium with no d3 how many crickets, a veiled this age should be eating alot, give him as many as he will eat
Supplements - tetra calcium, once a month he needs calcium with out D3 every feeding, calcium with d3 2x a month and a multi vitamin (such as herpivite or reptivite) 1 or 2x a month
Watering - flukers water dripper, 3 times a day, I do so my cham drink
Fecal Description - he is a lite green most of the time and his droppings are normal, no he hasn't green? the chameleon or his poop? the poop should be brownish with a white tip thingie, if the white part is yellow or orange he isn't drinking enough
History - he hasnt been eating lately

Cage Info:
Cage Type- glass 18 by 18 by 18 screen would be better (easier to heat with out cooking him, and fresher air)
Lighting - well i dont have a light but i use exo terra night glo 20 watt you HAVE TO HAVE a UVB light. the best kind is the long tube reptisun 5.0 make sure there is no glass or plastic betwen the UVB light and the chameleon, just screen (UVB will not go through glass or plastic)
Temperature - i keep it at 80 to 83 degrees this should be the basking temerature (a branch 6-12 inches under the heat light) the rest of the cage needs to be cooler, about 70-75
Humidity - i keep it at 70 to 80%
Plants - no i am not useing live plants

marked some things in red that need changed, there's more others will chime in on I'm sure as well.

I'll say again read the blog linked and other info on veild chameleons on this site and you will see some things you need to change (and they need changed NOW)

Horizon city is NOT the gulf, it is just outside city limits of El Paso, VERY VERY DRY AREA, sandstorms and the lot. 5% humidity average.

El Paso/Horizon City area is the furthest west you can get in texas, its on the part of texas that points west. On the mexican border.

you can still take him out side when it's warm enough (not in the glass cage tho, it will cook him), just make sure you spray him down, also it would be best if you had a live plant he could hang out on (like a pythos which is also called devils ivy) just make sure the soil is covered so he don't eat it and the leaves are washed in case they had bug spray on them.

don't leave him out while your not there tho as birds/cats could get him

if you can you should get him outside some as it will give him natrual UVB (from the sun), you'll still need a UVB for inside but this might help till you can get one.

seeing that your from the south on the gulf of texas your in good for temp when its 70+ degrees out and sunny put the little guy out for an hour that will let you cancel out the vit d. it will be getting it naturally. and you will only really have to do that once a week. 2 i use zoomeds cages and let me tell you buy them off of amazon you will save big money on it. average store for the big ones is 170-199 dollars on amazon 84 bucks brand new. but you can get a smaller one like the 18*18*30 inch cage for now. when they hit their growth spurt they get big fast and thats when the aggresiveness kicks in on their territory they will get over it soon just put you hand next to them like i do with mine ad they will soon learn their hissing doesn't scare you or know your not going to harm them. my 2 1/2 year old will either get on my hand or not either way i don't force him i leave that up to him. have fun an enjoy your little guy. and if you want to know more just call any or go into any reptile store most of them will answer any questions you ask but that glass case has got to go they need the breeze with a screen cage homie!!!

are you saying one hour of uvb total outside and then you do not need a UVB light in the cage? Do you think chameleons in the wild only get one hour of sunlight a week? He has no UVB light at all. Taking his cham out for one hour a week is not enough. I just don't want him to be misled that he does not need a light and can take his chameleon outside for one hour a week. That is why we leave our UVB lights on in our cage for 12 hours a day. Just want to clarify that.

ok guys now i know what i have to do for him to be a good cham thanks for all your help cuz without you he will pass away and i dont want that to happen so thanks again

Andrew, glad you are going to make the necessary changes. If you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask. I did not mean to come off harsh, I just want your chameleon to have a happy and healthy life and I am glad that you do too!

Last edited:
Andrew, glad you are going to make the necessary changes. If you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask. I did not mean to come off harsh, I just want your chameleon to have a happy and healthy life and I am glad that you to tto!

As carol said, i'm happy you're willing to do what is right for your chameleon. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

natural sun and the lights give out different things i asked around alot and told this before i got mine. I did my research but different people tend to have different methods. kinda like the fake and bake we people do. when the weather warms up i'll start putting mine outside. when i was stationed in hawaii i never had to have a lamp they did fine just sitting by the window and having 80 degree temps year round. but i do mist mine 3-4 times a day depending how hot it actually gets in my chameleon room.

is it good and my mom is takeing me to petsmart so i will ask her for more vines but is it better than the first time?:confused:

yeah but deffinatly try and get the reptibreeze cage instead at first i thought you said houston texas. be careful with him at that age when handling him their legs are really fragile and can break easily and their balance isn't that good or built up when trying to let them get back on the branches.

well just roght now i cleand his terrarium and i fed him about 10 crickets right now here are some pics
View attachment 34559

View attachment 34560

View attachment 34561

Andrew, I would get rid of all that stuff in the bottom of the cage(the dirt, mulch, whatever it is). Your chameleon might eat that and it could become very ill if so. Leave the cage floor bare. You need to get some more foilage in there for him to climb around on. Places for him to hide so he can feel secure.

natural sun and the lights give out different things i asked around alot and told this before i got mine. I did my research but different people tend to have different methods. kinda like the fake and bake we people do. when the weather warms up i'll start putting mine outside. when i was stationed in hawaii i never had to have a lamp they did fine just sitting by the window and having 80 degree temps year round. but i do mist mine 3-4 times a day depending how hot it actually gets in my chameleon room.
let me recorrect myself uvb artifical light no nutrients from it so hence the dusting of the crickets and worms. sun natural light getting their vitamin D naturally and once a week outside is enough. kind of like a fake and bake tan from a salon in the winter you might be tan but we all know that its not real plus your not getting your vitamin d like you would out in the sun!!!

Back
Top Bottom