New veil chams cage

randomryan007

so we got a 6-9 month old male veil cham. he has a cage thats kind small. and doesn't seem to happy. so since my wife and I are pretty handy we started building him a nice BIG home. so lets start....

first I thinking 6 2x2's where going to be a enough and a box of screws and some wire screen, forest green paint and some spray paint, witch i found at home depot. brought it all home. my wife and i sat there looking at the material i just brought home.

we measured and marked and measured and marked and measured some more. brain storming back and forth till we came up with some thing.

so this is what we did we cut
4 6ft pieces for the up rights.
4 4ft pieces for the front and the back
4 2ft pieces for the sides

and now a trip to homedepo again.

pics to come...

and the adventure begins....

My apologizes for the mess

The basic frame
DSC02277.jpg

another shot of the basic frame
DSC02278.jpg

looks like that will be a nice big cage, im sure your cham will love it. keep the pics coming

Putting supports in
DSC02279.jpg

another shot
DSC02281.jpg

another shot
DSC02282.jpg

another shot
DSC02283.jpg

We plan on having 2 doors to enter the cage. if we decide later to split it into to cages we can. it stands 6ft tall inter dementions are 4ft tall by 4 ft long by 2 ft wide. we left space under the cage for drains. as I have decided to plumb this cage with 4 drains.

I am thinking of maybe putting supports on the bottom legs so that I can skin it to hide all the equipment but unsure right now.

the room where this cage is going has a swamp cooler. so I am hoping keeping the humidity up will not be a problem

Intermission.....

the green quad. I am having a hard time finding a used crank case for. that crazy little custom mini bike is fast as heck. thats just a glimpse of my toys. lol.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

thanks. my wife said she wanted a BIG enclosure. well I am sure its BIG. and I hope her cham don't get lost in it! LOL!

http://www.ecoprocote.com/TimberSoy-Natural-Wood-Stain-s/87.htm[/QUOTE]

You are going to spend a ton of money on something that the animal most likely won't come in contact with?
If you put the screen on the inside and plenty of vines and plants the animal will almost never come in contact with it.
Simply find a marine grade, water based, wood stain. Once dry there is no problem.

Minwax makes one, otherwise if you use non-boiled linseed oil like they use
on baby cribs and children toys it will work just as well.

The cage I am building I am using the Minwax, you can get it in about 40
different colors.

Best to you and your new habitat. I can't wait to see more pictures!! :)

I am looking into some either formica or sheet plastic for the back,bottom and sides. I am really going for a furniture look that catches the eye. as I really want something my wife can be proud of and that will be easy to maintain. I am really leaning toward a mist king for her set up . also would like suggestions on lighting. What size basking bulb would I need for this size enclosure ect. also I need to know if ficus tree's can bee topped and will the tree sprout new branches?

You are going to spend a ton of money on something that the animal most likely won't come in contact with?
If you put the screen on the inside and plenty of vines and plants the animal will almost never come in contact with it.
Simply find a marine grade, water based, wood stain. Once dry there is no problem.

Minwax makes one, otherwise if you use non-boiled linseed oil like they use
on baby cribs and children toys it will work just as well.

The cage I am building I am using the Minwax, you can get it in about 40
different colors.

Best to you and your new habitat. I can't wait to see more pictures!! :)[/QUOTE]

I am not putting the screen on the inside.

here's a pic of the screen on the outside...

DSC02292.jpg

I am going to use screen holders to hold The screen in place on the cage... so the screens can be removed if the screen needs to be.

I believe that 7 yrs of wood shop really paid off.

Back
Top Bottom