New UV light

Come up and see my cham like this... right under the UV light? What do you think this means? Her basking light is a little further back, so I’m confused on what she’s doing!

Typically, when you see a chamaeleon climbing on the screen, it means that there is something they are unhappy with in or outside the enclosure and are looking to find a more secure place. (but can’t get out to find one)

Offering more places to hide could be helpful. Check your temps as well, they may be off.

Last edited:
Typically, when you see a chamaeleon climbing on the screen, it means that there is something they are unhappy with in or outside the enclosure and are looking to find a more secure place. (but can’t get out to find one)

Offering more places to hide could be helpful. Check your temps as well, they may be off.

I use 1/2" mesh, and they use the screen as ladders to get to other branches etc. But yea you dont see adult chams climbing window screen. Wonder if it just found the perfect basking temp, and opp just needs to adjust the basking bulb?

I use 1/2" mesh, and they use the screen as ladders to get to other branches etc. But yea you dont see adult chams climbing window screen. Wonder if it just found the perfect basking temp, and opp just needs to adjust the basking bulb?
Okay I checked yesterday and it was at high 80’s, which is good right?

What is the temp in the new found "spot"? Maybe the cham wants the big boy mid 90's basking range.

My main consern is since he(or is it she?) can get directly under the uvb bulbs, that means it can get directly under the basking bulb. Thats why we kinda like the basking bulbs to be angled twards the cage vs directly sitting and firing down. Dont want to burn them feets.

As I am sure you want to create a healthy environment, I encourage you to visit Chamaeleon Breeder Podcast

Bill Strand has put together a wonderful collection of informative and educational podcasts revolving around care and husbandry. Episode 114 and 115 for your immediate needs.

Last edited:

I read somewhere that chameleons don’t have heat receptors on the underside of the belly. It was a while ago and could be outdated information

Last edited:
What is the temp in the new found "spot"? Maybe the cham wants the big boy mid 90's basking range.

My main consern is since he(or is it she?) can get directly under the uvb bulbs, that means it can get directly under the basking bulb. Thats why we kinda like the basking bulbs to be angled twards the cage vs directly sitting and firing down. Dont want to burn them feets.
It’s a she!

I read a few reviews. People who called zilla, where told to remove the plastic if you are placing the the hood on screen. So it does block "some" UVB. Its just so hard to get zilla information vs the bigger players. I dont even know how they get 25 watt out of a 18" T8.
The T8 25 is 15 watts.
25 is the UV level (from what I understand)
The light is stamped 15 watts.

The T8 25 is 15 watts.
25 is the UV level (from what I understand)
The light is stamped 15 watts.

guess its 25 µW/cm². Which is still pretty low. So id say its the same as a 15 watt T8 5.0/6%. So i wouldnt use it unless it was a "tank" that is like 18" tall, since UVB will be worthless by 8". Good for anoles,geckos etc.

guess its 25 µW/cm². Which is still pretty low. So id say its the same as a 15 watt T8 5.0/6%. So i wouldnt use it unless it was a "tank" that is like 18" tall, since UVB will be worthless by 8". Good for anoles,geckos etc.
Its hanging on the back of the cage. The Chameleons are never very far away from the light except at night and it's off then anyway.

Hi all. I’ve updated the enclosure a bit, sorry for the dark picture she’s asleep. My UV is laying across the screen right on top, is that ok? Want to make sure the light is good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi all. I’ve updated the enclosure a bit, sorry for the dark picture she’s asleep. My UV is laying across the screen right on top, is that ok? Want to make sure the light is good.
This thread is old, so you’d be better off starting your own thread for getting feedback and info. I will say the T5 HO Zoo Med 10.0 is too strong to be laying straight on top of the cage. Make sure to fill out the ask for help form in as much detail as possible, including pics of your cham, their lights, and their full cage- lights to bottom, in your new thread!

reptisun 10.0 is the same as an arcadia 12%. You need to keep the bulb at least 12" away from the chameleon. So if you have a filthy screen hanger, you need to keep the bulb a foot above the screen.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

This thread is old, so you’d be better off starting your own thread for getting feedback and info. I will say the T5 HO Zoo Med 10.0 is too strong to be laying straight on top of the cage. Make sure to fill out the ask for help form in as much detail as possible, including pics of your cham, their lights, and their full cage- lights to bottom, in your new thread!
I no longer use T8 lights
And I no longer advocate their usage.
I'm now using T5 HO 5.0
And I now own a UVB meter

Back
Top Bottom