New UV light

The t5HO desert light?

Im still a bit confused but will try to help again.

"tropical" is code for 6% or 5.0
"desert" is code for 12% or 10.0

T5 Is 30% more efficient vs T8
T5 HO is double the wattage per foot vs normal "T5" or "T8"

So you want a desert/12%/10.0 T8
or you want a tropical/6%5.0 T5HO

You do not want a desert/12%/10.0 T5HO. That would be way to strong and is reserved for experienced keepers with UVB meters, and very tall cages.

You do not want a desert/12%/10.0 T5HO. That would be way to strong and is reserved for experienced keepers with UVB meters, and very tall cages.
Ok this is so much more helpful!! I had no idea what any of those numbers meant. I’m keeping my Tropical T8 5.0 for now. If that’s not good enough, is there a link you could send me to purchase the one I need?

Just out of curiosity, have you measured the output of compact fluorescent bulbs? A 26W 10.0 bulb, for example? The Zoomed chameleon kit comes with a 13W 5.0 and everyone tells people not to use it, but what if someone used the 26W 10.0 CFL to get by for a while? I wonder what the actual UVB measurement of that is. You can get that bulb for $14 versus the Zilla desert fixture for $38 (price matched from Petco's website). I realize this isn't an ideal scenario, but if someone wanted a quick option to get by for a while before they spent $50 on a T5 fixture and bulb...

Ok this is so much more helpful!! I had no idea what any of those numbers meant. I’m keeping my Tropical T8 5.0 for now. If that’s not good enough, is there a link you could send me to purchase the one I need?
Did you get yours at Petco? They price match from their website so the "desert" Zilla T8 fixture would be $38. Or you can order a Zoomed T5 fixture (with bulb) on amazon for $50 for the 24" or $36 for the 14" (bulbs are slightly shorter than the fixture). Those T5 fixtures come with 5.0 bulbs.

Like darkfrogkeeper said, either return the tropical and get the exact same thing in desert. Or spend a bit more money and get the zoom med T5HO for $10-20 more if you can get a full refund.

https://zoomed.com/t5-reptisun-led-uvb-terrarium-hood/

Just out of curiosity, have you measured the output of compact fluorescent bulbs? A 26W 10.0 bulb, for example? The Zoomed chameleon kit comes with a 13W 5.0 and everyone tells people not to use it, but what if someone used the 26W 10.0 CFL to get by for a while? I wonder what the actual UVB measurement of that is. You can get that bulb for $14 versus the Zilla desert fixture for $38 (price matched from Petco's website). I realize this isn't an ideal scenario, but if someone wanted a quick option to get by for a while before they spent $50 on a T5 fixture and bulb...

The only cfl's that work in a cage that is taller than 1ft, are the arcadia ones that are not curly. They used some black magic to bend them around and use a special hood reflector.

The normal curly CFL's put out almost no UVB, aka a 26 watt 10.0 cfl will put out as much UVB as a 13 watt linear, only on that 1 square inch spot directly under the CFL, vs getting the same amount for the entire length of the linear tube. I dont have my sheet infront of me, but it was something around 75-80% reduction in UVB per watt going from a T5 to a curly CFL.

So its really hard to go by "measurements". Yes if you are Really good at setups, you could convince the cham to stay in the perfect zone of the CFL, you could use the $14 vs the $50 T5.

So you treat a $14 CFL like a "basking spot" for UVB vs getting a linear (T8 or T5) and have an "entire area / level" of the cage for UVB.

Now UVB CFLs do have there place, but they are for "tanks", anoles, geckos, anything that thrives in a 10-20 gallon long. You certainly done want to grab a 20 gallon long, and pop on any T5HO on it, without a meter. 9/10 you would end up with too high of UVB for that lizard.

The only cfl's that work in a cage that is taller than 1ft, are the arcadia ones that are not curly. They used some black magic to bend them around and use a special hood reflector.

The normal curly CFL's put out almost no UVB, aka a 26 watt 10.0 cfl will put out as much UVB as a 13 watt linear, only on that 1 square inch spot directly under the CFL, vs getting the same amount for the entire length of the linear tube. I dont have my sheet infront of me, but it was something around 75-80% reduction in UVB per watt going from a T5 to a curly CFL.

So its really hard to go by "measurements". Yes if you are Really good at setups, you could convince the cham to stay in the perfect zone of the CFL, you could use the $14 vs the $50 T5.

So you treat a $14 CFL like a "basking spot" for UVB vs getting a linear (T8 or T5) and have an "entire area / level" of the cage for UVB.

Now UVB CFLs do have there place, but they are for "tanks", anoles, geckos, anything that thrives in a 10-20 gallon long. You certainly done want to grab a 20 gallon long, and pop on any T5HO on it, without a meter. 9/10 you would end up with too high of UVB for that lizard.
So question for you then. I do have an anole in a 20 gallon long. I could use a UVB CFL for him? Do you have a recommendation on brand/watt/type?

How tall is it? If it's more than 18" I'd recommend the slimline T8 desert from Zilla.
So, I do have the 18" zilla T8 tropical on it now. I noticed one of his eyes shut this morning, so I wonder if the UVB is too strong. I had just replaced the bulb a few days ago. I think the tank is probably about 18" but then there is a couple inches of substrate.

So, I do have the 18" zilla T8 tropical on it now. I noticed one of his eyes shut this morning, so I wonder if the UVB is too strong. I had just replaced the bulb a few days ago. I think the tank is probably about 18" bit then there is a couple inches of substrate.
How far is its basking branch from top?

Yes the plastic is a splash guard for fish/turtles. It filters out 100% of the uva/uvb, i dont know why they would even include it on a "UVB" light. On the other hand even the high end lightyourreptiles T5 HO hoods come with the plastic splash guard...

I'm not saying don't remove it, but has this actually been tested?

There is quite a few type of plastics and a specially designed acrylic that Filters Zero UVA or UVB.

It's pretty expensive though, it's used in tanning beds.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/categories/uv-transmitting

I'm just wondering which if any, Fixtures splash guards have been tested. We are insulting the company for providing something that could actually not block UVB and the plastic does exist.

I seen it stated all the time, and always wondered that. Because like you just said, if it blocks it, why ship it. Maybe because it doesn't and this is just don't use Glass Vivs all over again lol :p.

Last edited:
Maybe 5 inches? But he also hangs out on glass near top, probably too close.

Why is my $5 anole harder than my chameleon? Lol
If he does that a lot a 10.0 CFL wouldn't be a horrible choice for it. However the T8 tropical will do better in this case I would believe. Especially since Anoles love the sun and he's got a large enclosure for a little anole

There is quite a few type of plastics and a specially designed acrylic that Filters Zero UVA or UVB.

I'm just wondering which if any, Fixtures splash guards have been tested. We are insulting the company for providing something that could actually not block UVB and the plastic does exist.

I seen it stated all the time, and always wondered that. Because like you just said, if it blocks it, why ship it. Maybe because it doesn't and this is just don't use Glass Vivs all over again lol :p.
I believe Lexan allows UV to pass through, but it's usually thicker than the flimsy plastic used as a cover on the Zilla fixture from what I've seen.

I read a few reviews. People who called zilla, where told to remove the plastic if you are placing the the hood on screen. So it does block "some" UVB. Its just so hard to get zilla information vs the bigger players. I dont even know how they get 25 watt out of a 18" T8.

If he does that a lot a 10.0 CFL wouldn't be a horrible choice for it. However the T8 tropical will do better in this case I would believe. Especially since Anoles love the sun and he's got a large enclosure for a little anole
He hangs out more under his basking light than he does his UVB. So I was wondering if I put his baking light and a UVB CFL in a double dome if that would be better? You know, like exactly what we tell people not to do with chameleons, Lol.

So, I do have the 18" zilla T8 tropical on it now. I noticed one of his eyes shut this morning, so I wonder if the UVB is too strong. I had just replaced the bulb a few days ago. I think the tank is probably about 18" but then there is a couple inches of substrate.

T8 tropical will not hurt "ANYTHING" at any distance. Its the lowest output you can get, other than the really odd "2%" that are for night time herps, and i think those are just marketing and really are normal bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom