New Toy!

Great stuff!
I know Canon makes a coupling which allows you to mount your ring flash to the macro, hopefully it can double up and let you do the double lens thing as well.

Basically you mount your Macro lens like you normally do. Then using the coupler (make sure you buy one that matches the filter threads on both lenses) add the 50mm lens. Keep the aperture on the 50mm lens wide open or else you will get a black ring in your shots (this Aperture does not affect DOF).
You now have a camera with two lenses facing each other.
Adding the 50mm lens, lets you focus closer than your other lens alone will let you.
You operate your Macro lens like you normally do...it is just like adding a close-up filter(or a magnifying glass) on your existing lens.

I think you meant DOF....
DOF is Depth of Field. DOF on any lens is controlled by the Aperture, Focal length and Subject Distance.
The smaller the Apeture (larger number) the more DOF you get.
The closer you are to your subject, the less DOF you get. <<<<This is what you will experience, since you will be much closer to your subject. The ant shot was done with the ant less than 1/2 inch away from the lens.

Yes I did mean DOF lol.

OK so by changing the aperture on the 100mm can you increase the DOF on the ant? How is lighting? is it pretty dark through the view finder? Do you need to focus the 50mm?

They can be found at Fleabay.

Oh alright, I wasn't sure how to search for it. I had entered 'macro lens coupler' and a couple of other things but wasn't finding it. I even tried Google to see if I could find out how people refer to the device :eek: I guess ya just needed to enter the filter size lol. :eek::cool:

Sorry to sound stupid...but does it work just like the MACRO attachments of the film era? meaning, can I just hook it to my Nikon camera body, then hook my Nikon lenses into it?

Eliza,

That was not a stupid question. If I'm thinking what you are talking about, it's a different coupler that goes between the camera body and the reversed lens. I'm sure there are less fancy ones than this one:
http://www.srb-griturn.com/canon-eos-electronically-coupled-reversing-ring-73-p.asp

Here's a typical just reversed setup:

234731.jpg

Yes, I'm a bad person for hotlinking :|

Now the other thing you could be talking about is just ordinary extension tubes that go between the lens and the body to increase the distance between the focus plane and the rear element of the lens, thus, letting you focus closer than the lense's rated minimum focus distance. They are just hollow tubes aluminum rings with connectors for controlling the lens functions.
The look like these and not meant for using in a reverse setup although you could:

Kenko-Extension-Tube-Set.jpg

Last edited:
ok... got another Toy....... 100-400mm.....

100mm...

KevinZamp05_27_20102896RS.jpg

400mm

KevinZamp05_27_20102895RS.jpg

Took these shots from my computer chair looking at the EcoZone from across the room. the images are not edited at all, pure DL and then UL (i did change the rez...)

Back
Top Bottom