New to this..

DHamilton

Hello :)
My names Danielle I joined the forms a few days ago. Im interested in getting a chameleon, ive narrowed it down to
male jax
female veiled
or a senegal
any tips :D

ps- would love a panther buuut tooo expensive for first cham

My names Danielle I joined the forms a few days ago. Im interested in getting a chameleon, ive narrowed it down to
male jax
female veiled
or a senegal

Hi and welcome,

I'm not the greatest of people for advice on chams but I have a friend who's a breeder, he suggested to me that my first Cham should be a male as you don't have to worry about males becoming egg bound , which can occur wether they are fertilised or not.

Thats just what I've been told , obviously the decision is yours :) good luck

male jax
female veiled
or a senegal

Hello and WELCOME! Those choices would all be great chams! I would agree with sticking to a male due to the egg issues. Unless you've done lots of research and have tons of support, you could be setting yourself up for failure and heartbreak.

The ladies can be charming, beautiful and rewarding, but just like their human counterparts, they can be a pain! :D

Do your best research and planning and this community will do our best to give you the necessary tools to suceed! :)

yes ive read on that, that they can become egg bound, same with birds it seems and i have a female bird who lays eggs like no tomorrow lol.
i only considered a female for veiled due to the fact that i like the shorter veil but males are extremely impressive

what did you guys have for first chams?

what do you have now?

whats your preference :)

yes ive read on that, that they can become egg bound, same with birds it seems and i have a female bird who lays eggs like no tomorrow lol.
i only considered a female for veiled due to the fact that i like the shorter veil but males are extremely impressive

what do you have now?

We just got our chameleon a few months ago. I wanted a male because of the egg laying but ended up with a female! (they thought she was a male because she was big).

She's a little sweetie pie! Very very shy though we've never handled her.

Chaneleons are like a box of chocolates- They all have their own personalities. Friendly or not each one is special in their own little way :)

Added a link to pix of our girl https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/angiel-albums-teal-c.html

a male would be easier for a first because of the egg laying as stated. i love panthers. but i only have veiled and panthers. and my favorite chams are the ones that require experienced care and/or are rare lol
and dont write off panthers as too expensive. you would be surprised how cheap you can get them for depending on their bloodline and such.
there are some male veileds with shorter Casques than others.
but i would say have all the cage and stuff ready before you get it, i would suggest male, make sure its at least 4 weeks old. little babies can be touchy.
and READ. go through this forum and read as much as you can. this forum is better than any cham care book

what do you have now?

My 1st was a male panther. I lost him when his cage blew over in the backyard back in March.

I now have a male verrucosus named Chazam. Here he is:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chazam-went-ballistic-87763/ :D

I'm currently in the market for another male panther. :)

what do you have now?

My one and only is a male veiled named rembrandt he's about 6 months old now and doing well from what the guys here have told me :) which reminds me at about 4 months a male veiled will become a very moody teenager lol but don't worry it passes, not sure if the girls are the same perhaps someone here knows?

What kind of enclosure do you have or are you thinking of?

a male would be easier for a first because of the egg laying as stated. i love panthers. but i only have veiled and panthers. and my favorite chams are the ones that require experienced care and/or are rare lol
and dont write off panthers as too expensive. you would be surprised how cheap you can get them for depending on their bloodline and such.
there are some male veileds with shorter Casques than others.
but i would say have all the cage and stuff ready before you get it, i would suggest male, make sure its at least 4 weeks old. little babies can be touchy.
and READ. go through this forum and read as much as you can. this forum is better than any cham care book

I'd like to add that most breeders/owners would suggest 3 months old as a starting point. Not knocking you, just going by what others seem to agree on. Maybe 2 to 2 1/2 months would be ok... :confused:

I'd like to add that most breeders/owners would suggest 3 months old as a starting point. Not knocking you, just going by what others seem to agree on. Maybe 2 to 2 1/2 months would be ok... :confused:

I had mine at 8 weeks so I'm inclined to agree with you there

that would probably be best. its just hard to find chams at that age still up for sale at least in my experience. they keep selling them as soon as possible and its making for alot of dying cham pets bc they are too small. if my chams have eggs i wont let the babies go until they are big enough. even pet stores and selling tiny little babes only a few weeks old :'( breaks my heart
but yeah. back to point.
the cham you want is entirely up to you just make sure he/she is healthy and old enough to handle the move and stress

I'd LOVE a panther but i dont want to spend too much for a cham just yet, if i could find a panther male for around 100 id go for it, but right now i leaning towards a jacksons or veiled due to them being quite a bit cheaper, and still awesome looking. Panthers are my favorite, such a range of colors.

As for the enclosure, I'm not sure yet, i have to clear it with my land lord :( she said no snakes, so i started looking into chams, I think im going to start out with a smaller screen cage, and when a bigger one is needed build it my self, or build the first one even.

Veiled's are the more robust of the above species (ie they can withstand husbandry mistakes a little better).

Jacksons don't handle mistakes very well at all from what I read.

My advice would be a veiled. Females have a few extra requirements including the laying bin. Females lay eggs regardless of whether or not they are fertilised.

Here are some links you may find helpful:

JannB's laying blog
Dez's laying bin video
ChameleonsInMyHouse's Veiled care sheet
Thread on Jacksons care
FerretInMyShoes' Basics of gutloading
SandraChameleon's nutritional blog
Matthew Wheelock's Overview on calcium supplementation

I can't find much on Senegal care requirements. Found this, looks good but I can't verify any information:

Kristina Francis' Article

a cross breed panther such as an ambi/banja cross like mine is a bit more $$$ (kind of like a designer cross dog ie yorki-poo) but when that cross has babies they cost less than a normal cham bc just like the dog they are now considered mutts. but its hard to find those bc people dont cross locales very much because the whole point of a locale is to have the differences...
a good idea IMO for a cage is to get a already made cabinet, and cut out the center of each side like a cage and you can then seal and attach screen. obviously this is not a detailed instruction sheet, just something to think about and play with

thanks for all the info guys, if i get a veiled i probably will get a male for at first, id be to worried about the egg laying, and because its my first i probably should stick to the males. Does any one know the life expectancy of any of those ?

The little girls are just so sweet and they deserve a good home too not just to be used for breeding. If you want a female veiled then go for it. Just do your research. If you have any egg laying questions I'll be glad to help you. Here's my female veiled Sadie and her family tree. https://www.chameleonforums.com/sadie-s-family-tree-85096/

very beautiful cham where did you get her?
Edit-went through the thread and found it, they over some beautiful chams
I think I want a jacksons tho, or if i can find one a 'cheap' panther but if i dooo decide on a veiled itll deffiantly be female i like that they have more green, and the shorter chrest

I have had two veiled and now have a panther. The two veiled I loved but the panther is amazing. I am really enjoying him as I am much more confident in how to look after him due to finding forum. You have come to the right place and good luck in whatever you choose.

Just remember that none of the chameleons are easy or require less care than others. They all have different requirnments and as far as reptiles go, chameleons are among the most time consuming and require special knowledge. Thats why having a good herp vet and this forum are invaluable resources. Good luck and let us know what you decide. oh and remember the equipment is expensive and to set aside some $ for a vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom