New to this! Help Welcomed :)

XxSoSeductivexX

Hey all!

My son (9) has been begging me for a reptile. He wanted a bearded dragon because my sister has a bearded dragon. The little guy/girl (?) creeps me out, so that is not going to happen! Might be due to the fact that the thing poops on me every time i hold it :rolleyes: !!! ...OR because it mistook my sisters blue finger nail for a blueberry... :eek: the teeth on that thing!

We have decided as a family that a veiled cham is the best fit for us. We are all excited! :D My son is being so patient with everything, as i want to make sure we do this the right way. I went to a well known pet shop (no names! haha) and was told to buy one of those exo terra glass habitats, and from what i am reading, that's on the top 5 list of tanks not to buy for a chameleon! They also had a huge still water dish in their glass tank, which i hear is a no no from what i read. The Chameleons they had also looked thin, dark, and sickly. I've since found a small private owned reptile shop that is local. So that is where we will be buying our cham. Woo hoo! :D:D

As far as the cage goes, I am drawing "plans" and details. My current plan is 6ft tall, The habitat area will be 4ft 1in tallx 2ft deepx 2ft 3 in wide. I was going to make it all mesh with a wood frame, but i think if the front and lid are just mesh, it might keep temp/humidity better. The base will be 2ft3in wide 2ft deep by 1ft3in tall and will have a cabinet to hide the plugs, drain bucket, and such. I've decided to go with live plants and have chosen Pothos, hibiscus, and dracaena. I will also include branches for climbing... and for now, will manually mist. Not sure if i want a mister or something that drips. the one i see a lot of people buying is about $200 & I'll see if that's a logical purchase or if it is just good for someone who doesn't want to be bothered with manually misting. I'll have a false floor mid way for when we 1st get the cham, and will remove it so it has the full enclosure when it gets bigger. I am just hoping that the full size of the enclosure is big enough. Please let me know if it will be small. I did have it at 3 ft wide originally, but it seemed too big for the area it will be.

I am not sure about what to use for the side and back of the habitat to cover the wood. I originally thought maybe coconut husk, but read it's not good if they ingest it. Any suggestions?

also, any suggestion on lighting? I will be building a hiding area on top of the enclosure about 8 inches up so i can hide any lighting. i measured my sisters lighting, so it might be bigger or smaller depending on which lighting is good for chams.

Any other suggestion are more than welcomed :)

Thanks for reading this novel :p;)

Sounds like a great enclosure. For the lighting I would go to "light your Reptiles". I don't have a veiled so I won't comment on what type of light but the owner Todd will be extremely helpful. I just wanted to let you know I purchased a Climist mister for 99$ From Coastal Silkworms, it is the same as a Mist King. I lost my directions and even went to the Mist King website to hijack installation directions. The pieces were identical. I've been very happy with it. You will find it very helpful if you ever have to leave the house for more then 6 to 8 hours. As for the sides and back, I'd search living walls on the forum. That should give you some ideas to start with.

Welcome to the forums. I keep veileds along with my other chameleons and I would like to say that chameleons are not for children. If you as a parent want a chameleon then that's different. Bearded dragons are a good reptile for children. If you plan to take full responsibility then you have come to the right place to learn about chameleons. I'll attach my blog below for new keepers. It will tell you what all you need to get started with pictures and links to where you can buy each item. Most chameleon supplies can not be purchased at local pet stores. Another very important tip, do not buy a chameleon from a pet store. I know a small time breeder with baby veileds right now if you are interested. You want to start with a nice healthy animal to avoid problems in the future.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

For a mister/dripping war you will probably either want an automatic mister if you want one or the other, or if you are going to do hand misting, then you'll want both a pump spray bottle and a dripper.

With your plant choices you will probably want a plant grow light. For a basking bulb 60 watt-75 watt depending on if you get a girl or boy, you will also need a linear uvb bulb.

Your cage size sounds fine, but I wouldn't put a chameleon younger than 5 months in a cage that size.

Think carefully about whether or not a chameleon will be the right pet for a 9-year old. In general they are a pet that one doesn't touch which might not be what a 9-year old wants. Some tolerate handling, but in general it is incredibly stressful for them and they don't get used to it. Chronic stress supresses the immune system and they will get sick. Sick chameleons tend to die.

Think carefully about the species. A veiled is a really wonderful chameleon that is very tough and forgiving of your husbandry errors. They are not always easy to handle when they get mature. Some are, some aren't. A large cage will make any chameleon feel less threatened by humans and less territorial. I adore my two veileds, especially the male, but he is quite an imposing animal all blown up, gaping and hissing. He is definitely a no-touch animal and sometimes expresses his opinion rather strongly when I open his cage to put in feeders. If you are not prepared to have that cute baby grow up to a completely untouchable animal, I don't think a chameleon--any species of chameleon--is the right choice of pet for your family.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you get a male so you won't have to worry about egg laying which shortens the lives of females.

Personally, I hate screen caging because they inevitably climb on it and permanently damage (pull out) their toe nails. I like solid walls to keep in the humidity plus the over spray from the misters.

And, yes, a mister is the way to go.

Drainage is a constant problem that needs a lot of thought on how to deal with it--a lot of water goes into a chameleon cage.

Todd from Light Your Reptiles is very knowledgeable on lighting. Arcadia bulbs are the best and last the longest. A quad fixture will give you a UVB light, a plant light and two daytime bright lights. You will also need a basking light for warmth during the day.

reply to MamatoElvis

Sounds like a great enclosure. For the lighting I would go to "light your Reptiles". I don't have a veiled so I won't comment on what type of light but the owner Todd will be extremely helpful. I just wanted to let you know I purchased a Climist mister for 99$ From Coastal Silkworms, it is the same as a Mist King. I lost my directions and even went to the Mist King website to hijack installation directions. The pieces were identical. I've been very happy with it. You will find it very helpful if you ever have to leave the house for more then 6 to 8 hours. As for the sides and back, I'd search living walls on the forum. That should give you some ideas to start with.

That's great to know Mama! Thanks for the tip. $99 is a lot easier to go with than $200 after all i am spending! I'll definitely check out the forum too. Exactly when i needed! Thank you :D

Reply to jannb

Welcome to the forums. I keep veileds along with my other chameleons and I would like to say that chameleons are not for children. If you as a parent want a chameleon then that's different. Bearded dragons are a good reptile for children. If you plan to take full responsibility then you have come to the right place to learn about chameleons. I'll attach my blog below for new keepers. It will tell you what all you need to get started with pictures and links to where you can buy each item. Most chameleon supplies can not be purchased at local pet stores. Another very important tip, do not buy a chameleon from a pet store. I know a small time breeder with baby veileds right now if you are interested. You want to start with a nice healthy animal to avoid problems in the future.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hey Jannb! As the mom, of course i know i'll be the primary caretaker :rolleyes: hahaha. After doing a lot of research, i have to admit i am excited as well. He is a really responsible 9 year old though. He has a dog and she's still alive :) kidding! but, he knows that it is more of an "eyes on" pet than a "hands on" pet. He just adores them. We never jump into adding a member to the family, this is something he knows all about and what to expect. I made sure of that. He even had the option of a snake and passed. The veiled is "the one". I did find a reptile place that has everything. It is a "mom and pop" type place, which i find are the best ones. they have babies, young ones, and adults. but thanks for the info about the breeder!

PS... checking out your post now!

Reply to Andee

For a mister/dripping war you will probably either want an automatic mister if you want one or the other, or if you are going to do hand misting, then you'll want both a pump spray bottle and a dripper.

With your plant choices you will probably want a plant grow light. For a basking bulb 60 watt-75 watt depending on if you get a girl or boy, you will also need a linear uvb bulb.

Your cage size sounds fine, but I wouldn't put a chameleon younger than 5 months in a cage that size.

Thanks for the lighting info! On the cage size, i am putting a removable floor in it. I was going to put it 1/2 way... in case i get a baby cham, it will be 2ft tall by 2ft deep by 2ft 3ich wide. Is that still too big for a baby? I can always make different cuts at different points on the map and just move the floor to make it bigger as it grows? like the grooves in an oven that you move the racks on. :confused:

Thanks again!

Reply to jajeanpierre

Think carefully about whether or not a chameleon will be the right pet for a 9-year old. In general they are a pet that one doesn't touch which might not be what a 9-year old wants. Some tolerate handling, but in general it is incredibly stressful for them and they don't get used to it. Chronic stress supresses the immune system and they will get sick. Sick chameleons tend to die.

Think carefully about the species. A veiled is a really wonderful chameleon that is very tough and forgiving of your husbandry errors. They are not always easy to handle when they get mature. Some are, some aren't. A large cage will make any chameleon feel less threatened by humans and less territorial. I adore my two veileds, especially the male, but he is quite an imposing animal all blown up, gaping and hissing. He is definitely a no-touch animal and sometimes expresses his opinion rather strongly when I open his cage to put in feeders. If you are not prepared to have that cute baby grow up to a completely untouchable animal, I don't think a chameleon--any species of chameleon--is the right choice of pet for your family.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you get a male so you won't have to worry about egg laying which shortens the lives of females.

Personally, I hate screen caging because they inevitably climb on it and permanently damage (pull out) their toe nails. I like solid walls to keep in the humidity plus the over spray from the misters.

And, yes, a mister is the way to go.

Drainage is a constant problem that needs a lot of thought on how to deal with it--a lot of water goes into a chameleon cage.

Todd from Light Your Reptiles is very knowledgeable on lighting. Arcadia bulbs are the best and last the longest. A quad fixture will give you a UVB light, a plant light and two daytime bright lights. You will also need a basking light for warmth during the day.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that is why we choose a veiled. It may not have the colors others do, but it was the better fit and are beautiful despite not being colorful. It's funny that you mention their imposing/potentially aggressive nature... I made sure to show him videos so that he understood it wasn't just a cute googly eyed creature that changed colors. I think that is a big mistake a lot of people make! I told him he couldn't touch it at all, and he was fine with it. Although if it turns out to be fine with it, i will allow it with supervision. I wanted to set him up for expecting not to be able to touch it though so if/when he can, he will appreciate it ;)

We are getting a male, I did read what you mentioned, as well as people saying the males are more colorful. So it seemed like the best choice.

As far as the drainage, the bottom will have a drain and a bucket under hidden to catch the water. I have a washer machine pan that i cut and put a drain in... it's slightly tilted towards the drain, which will channel the water. I will check it every day to make sure nothing pools. Do you think that is sufficient?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that is why we choose a veiled. It may not have the colors others do, but it was the better fit and are beautiful despite not being colorful. It's funny that you mention their imposing/potentially aggressive nature... I made sure to show him videos so that he understood it wasn't just a cute googly eyed creature that changed colors. I think that is a big mistake a lot of people make! I told him he couldn't touch it at all, and he was fine with it. Although if it turns out to be fine with it, i will allow it with supervision. I wanted to set him up for expecting not to be able to touch it though so if/when he can, he will appreciate it ;)

We are getting a male, I did read what you mentioned, as well as people saying the males are more colorful. So it seemed like the best choice.

As far as the drainage, the bottom will have a drain and a bucket under hidden to catch the water. I have a washer machine pan that i cut and put a drain in... it's slightly tilted towards the drain, which will channel the water. I will check it every day to make sure nothing pools. Do you think that is sufficient?

I don't know who told you that veileds aren't colorful but that is wrong. If you buy from a good bloodline and take the proper care of them then they can be very colorful. You can go to my home page and see my past veileds in my albums and here are my current veileds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-beautiful-veileds-142194/

I don't know who told you that veileds aren't colorful but that is wrong. If you buy from a good bloodline and take the proper care of them then they can be very colorful. You can go to my home page and see my past veileds in my albums and here are my current veileds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-beautiful-veileds-142194/

WOW! Those are beautiful. I think maybe it was meant as not having reds, oranges, and such? I always thought they were just green and brown mostly. The coloring changes with age?

I don't want you to feel like everyone is trying to discourage you. We see a lot of unprepared owners that equal a lot of dead or dying chameleons. They are not difficult to care for but if you miss something it is devastating to your animal.

I'd like to second Jannb by suggesting you purchase your pet from her contact. You will be assured an animal that starts out very healthy. I've rarely seen chameleons cared for properly in a pet store. Mom and pop included. It is vital you start out with a healthy animal unless you are extremely experienced. Many sad stories on this forum about people who purchased from pet stores only to discover a few months down the road that they have a sick animal.

On a happier note. I have a six year old that does handle my Panther. Or should I say he walks on her. She's not a squealer or an arm waver. She knows not to grab at him. She has also hand fed and she knows not to move no matter how long it takes. She knows we don't parade our friends in to stare at him. This defiantly has to be your pet but if you have the right kind of kid they can most likely interact. Again, I don't have a veiled but your guys personality will have to dictate how much interaction.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! No worries, we already know we are getting a veiled. We have went over everything and the shop we are getting our little guy from breeds all of their animals. So i am not buying it from a "pet shop". It is a "no bulls*#&" specialty shop. I'll keep a status update on the enclosure, as i am building it starting today. I really just need help on what goes into the enclosure. We are not in a rush to put a cham in ... and i am a perfectionist, so i will be putting a lot of thought into it. I've never had a chameleon before, but ive had other reptiles growing up. It doesn't mean i can't get the hang of it! :) I will! Thanks again! :)

Thanks for the replies! No worries, we already know we are getting a veiled. We have went over everything and the shop we are getting our little guy from breeds all of their animals. So i am not buying it from a "pet shop". It is a "no bulls*#&" specialty shop. I'll keep a status update on the enclosure, as i am building it starting today. I really just need help on what goes into the enclosure. We are not in a rush to put a cham in ... and i am a perfectionist, so i will be putting a lot of thought into it. I've never had a chameleon before, but ive had other reptiles growing up. It doesn't mean i can't get the hang of it! :) I will! Thanks again! :)

You might like to look through these threads to get ideas about what to put on the inside of your enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/official-enclosure-picture-thread-49688/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/official-enclosure-picture-thread-2-post-your-pics-94781/index8.html

Yea,there's lots of different ideas on here on how to do what ya need and have it look good :) I got alot of ideas from thus forum for sure.

...It's ONLY been almost a month!!! lol

Well, I work full time & my son plays sports... but almost ALL of my free time has gone into making this cage from scratch!!! Holy moly there is a bunch to think about! :eek: Finding safe stains, wood that wont warp, and a good poly... I found a natural one made of whey... not exactly cheap so i hope it is good! :confused: I couldn't find anything bad about it. I am still questioning a good sturdy bottom with a drainage system. So far, a washer machine dish/pan seems to be what a lot of people use. In LxWxH...Cage is about 25inX25inX4ft and then the base "cabinet" is 25.5inx25.5inx18in. It's not as big as i wanted it, but when i measured the area, that is what it needed to be. I think it's a good size. My son picked a "green tea" colored wood stain... water based. I think i did OK for my first time building anything out of wood... ever... so we won't use it for firewood :)

At least, I can cross building a cage off my bucket list! (WELL almost :D ).

I will post pictures when it's complete and when i start actually putting plants and such in it.

I guess i do have a few questions:
-A few options for the bottom/drainage. (i will be using a bucket, so something that i can just cut a hole in and put a drain)
-What would you glue the bottom of the enclosure with? Is there something completely safe i should use over anything else (that is waterproof too)?
-As for screen, is there anything wrong with fiberglass other than bugs biting through it? I have fiberglass in now, but i can switch it out at any point.

Thank you all, as always :D
<3

1st Day

Okay, my son picked out his Veiled... Welcome "Ninja". :)

I feel like he's too thin... but we are partially Italian... that won't last long :p

I did notice he was under the basking light and he had his eyes closed at one point and his mouth open. What gives? :confused: :confused:

Temp under the basking light is high/mid 80 then low 80's into the small pothos. Rest of the cage is low/mid 70s. Is that okay?

Now hopefully he continues to enjoy his new home!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ninja.jpg
    Ninja.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 262
Random pics of the enclosure

12079695_10206191708046351_695499058641795170_n.jpg

12141614_10206170501396198_3306491130312625641_n.jpg

12167119_10204728258153643_1999317717_n (1).jpg

The bottom has a drain.

Still adding to it slowly... it's a big space so there is a lot to fill. The bottom is covered by a huge pothos plant & a tiny hibiscus (not flowered yet)... i'm scared the little guy will fall so i want it there to break his fall.

What else should i add?

Attachments

• 12167119_10204728258153643_1999317717_n.jpg
    12167119_10204728258153643_1999317717_n.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 98
Lots more vines, branches and plastic/live plants to give coverage and to add horizontal pathways for your little one. I would add it to the point of it getting hard to find your little one. That's what I tend to do, they like it to be full, especially at that age because they tend to be more timid when babies.

Back
Top Bottom