New to the world with an issue

I do not know water intake and have read I may not see him take any.

Its my opinion you should ensure you see it drink atleast once a day, especially with so small a lizard. You can acomplish this with 5 mins of hand misting above its head.
It may take several minutes for the little one to get the idea, but you should, after a few minutes see it begin to lap and swallow.
When its satiated you will see it raise its head skyward and swallow.
Beware: never be tempted to spray/mist directly into its mouth, this is dangerous as if it inhales water it can prove fatal.
Alternately you can drip water over its snout from above till it drinks its fill.
Hydration is of the highest importance with small animals of any kind, it aids the function of digestion aswell.
You should watch those white poops (these are solid pee), they should for the most part be white. If they turn yellow or darker it indicates the animal isnt getting enough.
Also ensure that while awake the eyes are well protruded rather than sunken and the skin is soft and pliable, not permanantly wrinkled.
cheers :)

Im afraid those pics do alarm me some mate, is it able to stand properly?
Does it hold that back leg like that alot or did it just fall over as you snapped the pics?
its little legs do look oddly splayed in one of your earlier pics aswell.....
can your phone do video that you could upload to youtube by any chance?
watching its movements may be more revealing than still shots if thats possible....

Its my opinion you should ensure you see it drink atleast once a day, especially with so small a lizard. You can acomplish this with 5 mins of hand misting above its head.
It may take several minutes for the little one to get the idea, but you should, after a few minutes see it begin to lap and swallow.
When its satiated you will see it raise its head skyward and swallow.
Beware: never be tempted to spray/mist directly into its mouth, this is dangerous as if it inhales water it can prove fatal.
Alternately you can drip water over its snout from above till it drinks its fill.
Hydration is of the highest importance with small animals of any kind, it aids the function of digestion aswell.
You should watch those white poops (these are solid pee), they should for the most part be white. If they turn yellow or darker it indicates the animal isnt getting enough.
Also ensure that while awake the eyes are well protruded rather than sunken and the skin is soft and pliable, not permanantly wrinkled.

Well if he makes it through this I will be sure to do so. I will confirm the solid pee's were not yellow and droppings were all solid. He's definitely in rough shape and has been laying on his side. And still no movement. He did turn bright when handled for pics and is back to a dark green now. Though he does appear to be flattening himself (from what I've read this is to collect more rays).. It seems to just be a waiting game. Should I turn off the light for tonight?

Thanks everybody for the help so far. Hope the little guy pulls through.

They do that on occasion under basking lights yes, but it would be considered odd and alarming for it to do elsewhere/when.
Has he fallen off a branch or anything that you know of?
Possibility it may have injured/stunned itself while you wernt there?
Im hoping for you thats its nothing at all and its just a weird little lizard but something seems not right.

Im afraid those pics do alarm me some mate, is it able to stand properly?
Does it hold that back leg like that alot or did it just fall over as you snapped the pics?
its little legs do look oddly splayed in one of your earlier pics aswell.....
can your phone do video that you could upload to youtube by any chance?
watching its movements may be more revealing than still shots if thats possible....

He has not been standing right all day and not standing at all for the last couple hours. No video on the phone - though that would not do much because he hasnt move since I put him back in the cage.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/mackinback/Cham10.jpg

You should turn the lights off every night. Have he been in the lights 24/7? That would be bad.

Chameleons need a cool dark night.

Turn off the lights, back them away from the enclosure for tomorrow.

Something is deinately wrong with those litle hind limbs, I know maybe it didnt cost you much but I think it might be worth having a vet examin him on mon morn if you can, especially if its not moving around and active in the morning, then sooner if possible.
At that age little bones are easilt broke/fractured from the slightest fall.
If he cant move or isnt inclined to, perhaps place him on the floor of the cage where atleast he cant fall off the plant.
Wishing the best for you,

No I have a day and night bulb. Each are on for 12 hrs. Will be taking out the night time light now. He hasnt had and falls that I am aware of. The rear legs issue started when I took him out for a daily handling. Almost looked like a seizure.. Or just playing dead? But the rears have been acting weird since.
I'll just have to wait till morning and figure out what to do. He finally moved though. He is no right side up but still not gripping onto anything.

Yeah, you don't need anything at night unless your house gets really cold (like, you would pull a robe on and slippers to go to the bathroom). Even then, you just need to add heat, no lights.

Mist, mist, mist.

They do play dead when being held against their will. However, those pics are a bit scary. There's something more going on.

Well I just wanted to add an update. It seems my little guy is doing better.. We decided his shedding was a big problem for him so we helped him out some. Especially in the feet area as he wasn't doing much with it. He is almost completely shedded and is moving around more. Still don't think he has been eating and there are no droppings.
Now the only thing a little out of wack is his rear leg tends to grab onto his front leg when climbing. I didnt notice this before.
But we'll feed him tonight and see how he does.

By the way do chameleons go blind while they shed?

I think I just witnessed him drinking off a branch! Good things..

Back
Top Bottom