New to the Forum!!

MR PO

Hello everyone,

I'll be getting my first Chameleon soon! I'm currently in the process of setting up an enclosure and making sure all my ducks are in a row :D. Owning a Chameleon has been a desire of mine for some time now and it's finally a good time to take the leap and purchase one. I think I'm all set, just waiting on my cage to arrive (delivery is late from Amazon). Once it shows up I'll put everything together and check my temps and humidity levels before ordering the Chameleon

-PO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 174
It sounds like you have the right idea. Too many people get the animal and then try and figure out how to properly care for it.

Congratulations and welcome to the forums!

Thanks guys!

I'm looking at getting a Panther from Kammerflage Kreations, either a Sambava or Ambanja but I'm keeping my options open.

I do have a question about basking bulbs. I got a 100 watt bulb, I think it's too high a wattage, can I still use it and just raise it further away from the enclosure? Or is it best to get a 60 watt so I can rest the dome on the top?

I figured it doesn't matter as long as the temp in the enclosure is the right temp (80-85), but I thought I'd ask....

Welcome to the forum!! ^_^
It's wonderful to see someone checking in before they begin. Can't wait to see your new little guy!

Well played. Your doing research and not impulse buying a chameleon like so many do. Then they come the forum with bigger issues that could have been avoided. Good luck and enjoy the new cham!

Thanks guys!

I'm looking at getting a Panther from Kammerflage Kreations, either a Sambava or Ambanja but I'm keeping my options open.

I do have a question about basking bulbs. I got a 100 watt bulb, I think it's too high a wattage, can I still use it and just raise it further away from the enclosure? Or is it best to get a 60 watt so I can rest the dome on the top?

I figured it doesn't matter as long as the temp in the enclosure is the right temp (80-85), but I thought I'd ask....

Be sure to get a good digital temp gun because temps are so important with chameleons. You will need the size bulb that keep the temp correct. You can check this when you are testing out your setup before you get your chameleon.

Welcome to the Forums! As you have likely already noticed, there's a lot of useful information and friendly people who's brains you can pick :). A 100 Watt bulb seems a little high, unless you're in a very cold area. I would start at 60w and work your way up as needed. The basking spot should be around 85-90 for Panthers. The rest of the cage should have "levels" of different temperatures where your little guy/girl can go up and down to regulate temperatures. The rest of the cage should be from 85-75. You'll notice that when it's time to sleep, they usually head down lower in the cage to find a cooler perch spot. The night time temperatures can dip safely in the low 70's. Welcome to the never ending...obsessive hobby that is Chameleon Keeping :)

You're basically doing what I am as well. Got my cage put together and piecing other supplies as well before I buy my chameleon. I see you're in NC as well, I'm up in western NC so I think my biggest problem will be keeping the correct humidity. I saw there's a guy in hickory that breeds chams but haven't checked him out myself. Good luck with your setup!

Welcome to the forum. You are sure starting with the very best. Getting a chameleon from Kammerflage Kreations, is buying a Ferrari. Ed Kammer has breed panthers for many years. He produces top quality, color, and best of all they are very healthy or they would never be sold.

My ReptiBreeze cage arrived today! I've set everything up mostly.....Just have to add a feeder cup. I'll add pictures shortly so yall can check it out and let me know if I overlooked something ;). I have plant pots that take up the whole lower portion of the enclosure, not sure if that's a good thing or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ok so I can't figure out how to attach more than one picture but this is pretty much it. It's a 16x16x30 cage, I have two ZooMed temp/Humidity gauges in the cage one near the basking light another at the bottom, ZooMed T5 HO 5.0 UVB hood, 100 watt basking light, and I have 100 1/8-1/4inch crickets being Gut loaded potatoes and banana. I think all I have left is to attach a cup for when I feed him. I'll also be misting him 3 times daily until I invest in a automatic misting machine......if I forgot anything please let me know.

-PO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 122
Ok so I can't figure out how to attach more than one picture but this is pretty much it. It's a 16x16x30 cage, I have two ZooMed temp/Humidity gauges in the cage one near the basking light another at the bottom, ZooMed T5 HO 5.0 UVB hood, 100 watt basking light, and I have 100 1/8-1/4inch crickets being Gut loaded potatoes and banana. I think all I have left is to attach a cup for when I feed him. I'll also be misting him 3 times daily until I invest in a automatic misting machine......if I forgot anything please let me know.

-PO
Everything looks really good. As suggested above, you should start with a 60 Watt bulb as babies don't need temps as high as adults. Also you need to gut load your crickets with other highly nutritious foods. Bananas an potatoes aren't very good. What you feed your crickets goes into your chamelion.
Here's a link for suggestions https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
There's also sponsors on here that sell good gut loading food for crickets.
I got a 5 month Nosy Be from Kammerflage a few weeks ago and he's healthy and happy. His colors are already amazing! They were really great to work with and available for phone calls!! Highly recommend them. Make sure you post pics of your new baby when you get him :)

I have the same size ReptiBreeze for my little one and for me, in Florida, 60 WATT is too much. I'm using a 45 WATT right now and that can get pretty hot too lately. For what it's worth. I'm not sure about this and maybe you set it out just for your picture but shouldn't the cricket cage be kept away from the cage? Kinda like, look what you can't get. :p

Back
Top Bottom