New to ME Chameleon

UnicornTart

I have a little guy i picked up yesterday. I have all set up txt book, watched videos ect.
This guy is a rescue. they said he was 2 years old, and was kept in a small glass Aquarium.
SO needless to say he went right to the Pothos and snuggled up to it.
Mister timer set, Food was gut loaded, i put one in the dish to find it gone a hour later :)
This is my first Chameleon, Iguana and monitor lizard years back.

Now what. I am truly guessing he will be a long rehab, he hides once i walk in the room.

Last edited:
Welcome on here, and thank you for rescuing him, congrats! If you want us to check to make sure everything in your husbandry is 100% accurate, feel free to fill out this form in as much detail as possible, including pics of your cham, his full enclosure, and his lights. This is extra important because of how he was kept before. Do you have an experienced chameleon vet near you to do a wellness exam, x-rays, bloodwork, and fecal tests?

Hi and welcome. Pictures of your new baby would be nice plus your enclosure. What type of chameleon did you get ? It's great you chose a rescue . Filling out a husbandry form will help both you and the good members on here to assist in the best way possible 😀

Welcome on here, and thank you for rescuing him, congrats! If you want us to check to make sure everything in your husbandry is 100% accurate, feel free to fill out this form in as much detail as possible, including pics of your cham, his full enclosure, and his lights. This is extra important because of how he was kept before. Do you have an experienced chameleon vet near you to do a wellness exam, x-rays, bloodwork, and fecal tests
What list? And yes I have a vet not far away. I was gonna make a appointment today though seeing he runs from me I don’t want to get aggressive and pull him out for a few days

So this is his rehab home for now. First time putting together a enclosure like this
I lucked in to a Dragonstrand 23x30x48 (apparently a discontinued model) enclosure with a monsoon 2 mister used for 250$
The guys also included a smaller enclosure for when I need to clean this one.

all live plants but the pretty red thing my kid wanted in there (I will make it disappear one day 😉)
Humidity and temp pictured is at basking spot.

repti sun 24” T5 ho with 5 UBV in it.
I have a 30” to replace it will be delivered Friday.
Oh and the heat bulb and it has a compact
UBV in it. That also came with the enclosure. I see the bulb is blue. And understand it needs to be a white heat bulb?

6D6A899F-8B45-4174-A6D7-E71E23B2558E.jpeg

Attachments

• 08FEC211-76CF-4E26-AEAD-B0E2D508222B.jpeg
    08FEC211-76CF-4E26-AEAD-B0E2D508222B.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 82
  • FEFF395D-5656-4E67-90E2-0DE92ADDB01B.jpeg
    FEFF395D-5656-4E67-90E2-0DE92ADDB01B.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Looks like you are doing a good 👍 job. where the plants given to you by the previous owners? As you may already know yemans eat stuff not always stuff that is good for them. I like the red plant maybe a wandering jew

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-195931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-195931_Chrome.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 66
Looks like you are doing a good 👍 job. where the plants given to you by the previous owners? As you may already know yemans eat stuff not always stuff that is good for them. I like the red plant maybe a wandering jew
No. I acquired and cleaned the plants.
I received the little guy in a carb board box with what I would say is a snake hide out cave thing and a palm tree that would go in a aquarium. This guy I think has never seen alive plants before.

What list? And yes I have a vet not far away. I was gonna make a appointment today though seeing he runs from me I don’t want to get aggressive and pull him out for a few days
I'll post the form at the end.
So this is his rehab home for now. First time putting together a enclosure like this
I lucked in to a Dragonstrand 23x30x48 (apparently a discontinued model) enclosure with a monsoon 2 mister used for 250$
The guys also included a smaller enclosure for when I need to clean this one.

all live plants but the pretty red thing my kid wanted in there (I will make it disappear one day 😉)
Humidity and temp pictured is at basking spot.

repti sun 24” T5 ho with 5 UBV in it.
I have a 30” to replace it will be delivered Friday.
Oh and the heat bulb and it has a compact
UBV in it. That also came with the enclosure. I see the bulb is blue. And understand it needs to be a white heat bulb?

View attachment 303748
What is the distance from his UVB bulb to his basking branch? Yes, a white light for a heat bulb is best. You also don't need the extra compact coil UVB bulb, just the T5 HO one. You have a great cage and such a cute cham, too!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Vailed. Male, 24 hours
  • Handling - not at all letting him get use to new surroundings
  • Feeding - super worms, horn worms, roach. He ate two super and horned. Didn’t touch roach. Yes I fed the food over night then used the calcium powder on them. I have no schedule yet. He looks skinny and under fed. So taking it slow.

• Supplements - zoomed repti calcium with out D
  • Watering - monsoon 2 2m every 8 hour. No I haven’t seen him drink.
  • Fecal Description - brown, white, 1/2 the white has a slight pink color. No test yet
  • History - rescue

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - dragonstrand 23x30x48. A clear plastic on 3 sides. Screen top, bottom, and one side.
  • Lighting - zoomed repti sun T5. 730-7:30
  • Temperature - this is is the works. Need a few weeks to get it right. But I under basking should be 85 ish from research.
  • Humidity - in 24 hours have had it 65 last night and 40 in the day so working on how to maintain
  • Plants - Pothis, ficus, wondering jew,
  • Placement - placed in guest room on a table
  • Location - Atlanta ga

Hello, again! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I've attached helpful images and links below, as well:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Vailed. Male, 24 hours
  • Handling - not at all letting him get use to new surroundings
  • Feeding - super worms, horn worms, roach. He ate two super and horned. Didn’t touch roach. Yes I fed the food over night then used the calcium powder on them. I have no schedule yet. He looks skinny and under fed. So taking it slow. So I'm not sure how much you'll be feeding the superworms and hornworms, but both should only be used as treats. Hornworms can also be used as a hydration boost if needed, too. Which species of roach(es) do you have? The amount he should be fed depends on his age (I suck at guessing veileds ages, so someone else will have to chime in for that). What do you use in your gutlaod? Below, I've attached great feeder and gutload charts. The more variety the better, for both!

• Supplements - zoomed repti calcium with out D There are two schedules you can follow with the supplement you already have, either purchasing one more supplement or two more supplements. Schedule 1: Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for once every two weeks, when you'll use Zoo Med Reptivite With D3
  • Schedule 2: Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for one day per week, where you'll alternate weekly between Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3 and Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3, so that each is used once every two weeks.
  • Fecal Description - brown, white, 1/2 the white has a slight pink color. No test yet Are you planning on getting his fecals tested/going to a vet?
  • History - rescue

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - dragonstrand 23x30x48. A clear plastic on 3 sides. Screen top, bottom, and one side.
  • Lighting - zoomed repti sun T5. 730-7:30 What is the distance between your UVB bulb and basking branch?
  • Temperature - this is is the works. Need a few weeks to get it right. But I under basking should be 85 ish from research. Correct! What are you using to measure basking temps and ambient/overnight temps? What are your ambient and overnight temps, as well?
  • Humidity - in 24 hours have had it 65 last night and 40 in the day so working on how to maintain Veileds need a daytime humidity level of 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of that. At night, if the temps are at or under 65*F, the humidity can go up to 100%.
  • Plants - Pothis, ficus, wondering jew, Do you have anything covering the soil in the pots?
  • Location - Atlanta ga

You've done a great, great job! Only a couple minor tweaks, and you'll be perfect! Here are the links and images!

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 52
  • Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi there. So I have this exact same cage model. It is a great one. So a few things. With the UVB you have two options 24 inch fixture or 36 inch fixture. The 30 inch fixture you ordered basically is the same as your 24 because it holds the 22 inch bulb. What it will be is the fixture 30 inches with the bulb centered. If this is not a single bulb fixture let me know because you will need to possibly adjust distance or bulb strength. WIth a 36 inch fixture it holds a 34 inch bulb so you get about 2 inches of bulb over hang on the ends of the cage. Not a big deal though and this is what I use.

Now with your enclosure I can tell your distance is quite a bit farther then it should be based on your top front panel and where your branches sit below that. So which bulb strength are you using the 5.0 or the 10.0?

I would go ahead and pull your fake plants out. He may start chomping on everything once he realizes the live ones are edible.

Let me know if you have any questions about this cage. :) @ERKleRose has you covered on husbandry.

TY for the food list. Yah what i was giving him was the only items the per store had in stock. They said they get a new load of bugs today, so :) I will look in to reviewing the temps ect. but at hight is kinda hard since i am asleep ;) When i wake it does though seem to be a good temp, but low on the humidity. Like only 50% when i wake. I was wondering if i need to maybe set my mister to go off every 4 hours startign at lights out (8 pm) SO if goes off at midnight to get the humidity up.

Hi the govee mini wireless temperature/ humidity gauge is great. Which you can download and view on your smartphone or whatever and see all your readings 24/7. They do need to be placed somewhere in the enclosure where they dont get sprayed so you are not getting incorrect data .🙂

Ok so
Hello, again! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I've attached helpful images and links below, as well:

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - super worms, horn worms, roach. He ate two super and horned. Didn’t touch roach. Yes I fed the food over night then used the calcium powder on them. I have no schedule yet. He looks skinny and under fed. So taking it slow. So I'm not sure how much you'll be feeding the superworms and hornworms, but both should only be used as treats. Hornworms can also be used as a hydration boost if needed, too. Which species of roach(es) do you have? The amount he should be fed depends on his age (I suck at guessing veileds ages, so someone else will have to chime in for that). What do you use in your gutlaod? Below, I've attached great feeder and gutload charts. The more variety the better, for both!
Yes understand. the reptile store only had those. will have fresh delivery today. I used carrot, green, and mango. what i had in my frig. I will go shopping for my bugs tonight. My kid was surprised i made her share her carrots with the bugs LOL

• Supplements - zoomed repti calcium with out D There are two schedules you can follow with the supplement you already have, either purchasing one more supplement or two more supplements. Schedule 1: Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for once every two weeks, when you'll use Zoo Med Reptivite With D3
  • Schedule 2: Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for one day per week, where you'll alternate weekly between Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3 and Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3, so that each is used once every two weeks.
Cool, I will look in to this tonight and decice how to go about it.
  • Fecal Description - brown, white, 1/2 the white has a slight pink color. No test yet Are you planning on getting his fecals tested/going to a vet?
After my child goes to scout camp and I return from my GIRLS vaca, i will be doing what is needed with vet. I am just hesitant on getting the guy out since well i think he has had enough trama. wannat give him a week at least of no hands going at him.
  • History - rescue

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - zoomed repti sun T5. 730-7:30 What is the distance between your UVB bulb and basking branch?
Ok well at the moment from the TOP Dragon Strand bar to the top (Trying to decide how i put branches up higher and secure with out compromising the enclosure. I think that is 11-12 " though i have a Pothos in the top corner, and seen him in that. that puts him to close to the light i think. so need to lower the plant or move light diagonal. No i dont have a light meter. Cant afford a 250$ item like that at this moment. need a bit before i get one. So i did find a List. please see attached. about lighting posting and distance with basking spot. If you can tell me if it is accurate. I was told i needed a 10.0 UBV, sooooo 10.0 or 5.0?? that so confuses me. i have 10.0 shipping, but the bulb i have is 5.0 now.
  • Temperature - this is is the works. Need a few weeks to get it right. But I under basking should be 85 ish from research. Correct! What are you using to measure basking temps and ambient/overnight temps? What are your ambient and overnight temps, as well?
I keep a eye on it every few hours, i have a digital thing that does Humidity and heat, placed at basking branch lvl. though i did just order that digital one that reads to a app.
  • Humidity - in 24 hours have had it 65 last night and 40 in the day so working on how to maintain Veileds need a daytime humidity level of 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of that. At night, if the temps are at or under 65*F, the humidity can go up to 100%.
Past 24 i have had it at 41 in the day, Considering turning on mister for every 4 hours 8 pm and 4 am at night because i seem to hit maybe 60 humidity i have noticed it at in the morning. IDK, we will see how it goes once i get that new thingie
  • Plants - Pothis, ficus, wondering jew, Do you have anything covering the soil in the pots?
  • Location - Atlanta ga

You've done a great, great job! Only a couple minor tweaks, and you'll be perfect! Here are the links and images!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom