New to chams

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is my first post, I’m new to chameleons but far from a novice when it comes to herpetology. Anyway I recently received a male vailed as a rescue that was brought to a local shop by the previous owner who’s husbandry was very bad. He is doing great as far as settling into his enclosure I built for him 48x48x60, and he is eating well as I’m finding his daily stool in the same spot, but the frustrating part is that he has never let me see him eat. He only eats when no one is looking. To me watching my reptiles eat is one of the joys I get out of having them, so I guess I’m looking for advice on how to get the bugger to eat in front of me. He is extremely shy and doesn’t seem to like people at all.

Thanks Bill

Lol this is him running for cover when I enter my bedroom. He does come out and wander a bit if I lay on the bed and watch tv, but if I look at him he runs for the bottom behind the hibiscus.

View attachment 244640
Lol this is him running for cover when I enter my bedroom. He does come out and wander a bit if I lay on the bed and watch tv, but if I look at him he runs for the bottom behind the hibiscus.

The enclosure looks great! However, I think you're using the wrong type of UVB light. Is that a compact model?

It needs to be the linear kind, which is as long as your cage is wide, otherwise your chameleon will be deprived of proper UVB and develop metabolic bone disease over time

The enclosure looks great! However, I think you're using the wrong type of UVB light. Is that a compact model?

It needs to be the linear kind, which is as long as your cage is wide, otherwise your chameleon will be deprived of proper UVB and develop metabolic bone disease over time
Naw I have a t5ho towards the front, well actually two, one with a reptisun and one with a bulb for the plants. I do have a a compact one in the back corner, it was there while I waited for the t5s to show from Amazon, like two days. Just haven’t removed it yet lol.

Naw I have a t5ho towards the front, well actually two, one with a reptisun and one with a bulb for the plants. I do have a a compact one in the back corner, it was there while I waited for the t5s to show from Amazon, like two days. Just haven’t removed it yet lol. View attachment 244641

Oh okay, perfect!! That's one of the most common mistakes we see here, so I always like to double-check. I actually use the same reflectors that you do for the plant bulb

My cham did this too when I first got him. It all comes down to them think you're going to eat them. Chameleons require both of their eyes to focus on a target/bug to eat it. If they think you're going to eat them, they will always be keeping an eye on you and therefore won't eat in front of you. Once they realize you're not a threat then they will take their eyes off you and eat.

Biggest piece of advice is to just sit near your enclosure while you're doing other things. Whether you're reading a book, folding laundry, chilling on the forums, etc. Just don't make eye contact and stare at you're chameleon while you're doing this. Just go about your business and this will help build that trust you're looking for.

My cham did this too when I first got him. It all comes down to them think you're going to eat them. Chameleons require both of their eyes to focus on a target/bug to eat it. If they think you're going to eat them, they will always be keeping an eye on you and therefore won't eat in front of you. Once they realize you're not a threat then they will take their eyes off you and eat.

Biggest piece of advice is to just sit near your enclosure while you're doing other things. Whether you're reading a book, folding laundry, chilling on the forums, etc. Just don't make eye contact and stare at you're chameleon while you're doing this. Just go about your business and this will help build that trust you're looking for.
Thanks for the reply, that’s basically what I figured.

Oh okay, perfect!! That's one of the most common mistakes we see here, so I always like to double-check. I actually use the same reflectors that you do for the plant bulb
Welcome to the forum. And like others have said it will take time for him to become use to its new environment and you too. You also need to raise your heat bulb up and off the enclosure to prevent possible thermal burns from him when he might cage climbing on the top of his cage.

Back
Top Bottom