New to Chams got questions

GilaTequila

So I have been browsing the form for a few days now since I got my new veiled and have a few questions. First off a little back ground. I have been keeping and breeding reptiles since around 1999. I started with leopard geckos, corn snakes, and frog eyed geckos. I have kept just about everything except chameleons since then. Currently I have 0.1 red-tortoise, 0.0.1 ornate box turtle, 1.1 corn snakes, and 0.0.3 Gila monsters. I just picked up a male veiled chameleon from a local pet store.

Currently I have him in an aquarium and have been reading nothing good about them for these guys. It is a 29 gal so is more of tall tank but was made for fish so does not have the air flow of a screen cage.

Has any one had any success using small computer fans to create air flow while using tanks with only a screen lid?

I am planing on building a screen cage out of pvc and plastic hardware cloth for him when he gets older. After reading around the form it looks like I can go ahead and put him in that size cage now with out worrying too much about him finding the feed dish. Any one have any other opinions about this?

Is 1/2" square plastic hardware cloth to big?

I know bugs can escape but I cant seem to find any thing smaller than that except for regular window screen. Seems like some people use that and it works pretty well. Not real sure what I should use. Want to attach to pvc pipe frame with zip ties.

I have kept house plants for years so have quite a few to put in the cage. I plan on using a hibiscus I have had for a while as the main plant. I have some pothos to add as well.

My plant question is if hanging type planters were a good idea. I have some type of ficus in a basket. Also, I have an antler fern and blue fern I would like to put in there. I think they would do well with the high humidity. Any reason not to add those two?

The truth is by the time you buy the PVC pipe, screen or hardware cloth, means to attache that, etc....you can just buy a repti breeze from one of the online sponsors.

I am a big DIY guy when it comes to needs that cannot be purchased, but in the case of a single, normal sized cage, just buy it.

I actually have a PVC frame that is 30x24x48. Am planing on a larger mesh attached with zip ties. Prob looking at investing $30-$40 for whole set up.

Question is if I will be happy with 1/2 " squares on the hardware cloth?

Also plastic is hard to find here. I think I have seen pictures of cages made with the bare metal galvanized hardware cloth. Are there any glaring issues with the metal?

I'm sure you have a home depot or a lowes somewhere near you right?

just get some aluminum mesh. you want aluminum because anything else crickets can chew through.

Back
Top Bottom