New to Chameleons

Thmenmen

Hi I’m looking at getting a chameleon and I want to know what’s a good starting spieces and what kind of cage and things I would need in the cage would be im in love with the Jackson chameleon but if it’s not a good beginner chameleon I’ll stray away thanks :)

The caresheets here are a great place to start! Where are you located, where you live can factor in to which species to get. Once you decide, please fill out the ask for help form (link in my signature below), so we can double check if your husbandry is correct before you get your cham.

I live in Canada northern Ontario To mid Ontario the coldest it gets is -40 but we have the heat on and where the cage will be is in the basement and it’s very moist down there and warm
As long as the basement has the correct temperatures, or they can easily be fixed, go for a Jackson’s if your heart is set on them! Keep us updated! Make sure to do lots of research and prepare before buying one, have everything already set up!

OKAY THANKS SO MUCH another question I’m gonna get a baby one can I put it in the cage that it’ll go in as a adult or do I have to have a smaller one and get a new cage as it grows? And I’m kinda leaning into the panther now too I’ll decide when the time comes and can you point me to a website I can get baby’s and cages and stuff for a good price thanks :) and it’ll be ok to get a screen cage right?

I am new to Chameleons as well. I got my Veiled about 4 weeks ago. Spent money on all the wrong stuff at the pet store. :( Ended up finding this forum. I lurked around reading everything I could including all the help pages. So now I am in the process of changing everything as I have found out that these are very particular little guys and have specific needs to flourish. First round of stuff I bought was about $400. I am now in with another $900 with ordering the superior items. This includes the proper live plants and vines along with his new enclosure and lighting. I have his new enclosure on order from Dragon Strand. Bill there helped me and was very nice. https://dragonstrand.com/ They are awesome!!!! A bit of a wait but well worth it. I got my lighting from Todd at Light Your Reptiles http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/. I can't speak highly enough about Todd he even called me to go over details that I had questions on. I would definitely utilize reading all you can on this forum as I could not find hardly any info that wasn't dated on the web. :)

Oh okay I found a cage that’s the perfect size for 100$ I looked around and my final price with the baby chameleon is 230$ cad if anyone experienced wants to message me something so I can send pics and get a ok on the stuff that would be great as I want to wait for a ok on the cage before ordering . And where do ya get your plant life I want only real plants

OKAY THANKS SO MUCH another question I’m gonna get a baby one can I put it in the cage that it’ll go in as a adult or do I have to have a smaller one and get a new cage as it grows? And I’m kinda leaning into the panther now too I’ll decide when the time comes and can you point me to a website I can get baby’s and cages and stuff for a good price thanks :) and it’ll be ok to get a screen cage right?
You can put it straight into an adult cage. Make sure the baby is atleast 3 months old, don’t let anyone sell you one any younger. I LOVE panthers!!! Personally, they’re the best, but lots of people feel that way about Jackson’s, up to you. Jackson’s are smaller but more sensitive to supplements and heat. What sex are you looking at? Go with a reputable breeder that has captive bred and born chams and can track their lineage and offers a guarantee of some sort. They should be open, knowledge, and helpful, with clean facilities. Don’t buy from “chameleon flippers”, like LLL Reptile, Backwater Reptiles, or CBReptile, Underground Reptile and Snakes at Sunset aren’t the best either. If you’re going online, FL Chams is good. Also, quality over price, the cheapest price isn’t always the best breeder to go with. Lots of good breeders on this forum, as well! The site sponsors here have supplies. Reptile Supply Company has the cheapest prices and pretty much everything you need, but they’re not reliable, LLL Reptile is good for supplies, Josh’s Frogs is a little expensive. Full Throttle Feeders, Rainbow Mealworms, and Dubia Roaches have a great variety of feeders, Josh’s Frogs does too, along with Mulberry Farms, but both are more expensive. I wouldn’t buy a chameleon kit, they’re generalized and not for a specific species or sex.

Oh okay I found a cage that’s the perfect size for 100$ I looked around and my final price with the baby chameleon is 230$ cad if anyone experienced wants to message me something so I can send pics and get a ok on the stuff that would be great as I want to wait for a ok on the cage before ordering . And where do ya get your plant life I want only real plants
Definitely fill out the ask for help form and post pics before buying so we can help you buy the correct items
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

I used this link on this site https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
It is so full of info. I went by the plants listed. I bought mine from the local nursery and to be sure they were not sprayed with pesticides I went through a multi step process that I found on here for washing (with Dawn and water) rinsing them and repeat 3 times air drying in between the next washing. Then I replanted with a dirt peat moss mix from the pet store. Putting larger stones on top so Beman would not eat the dirt. Make sure the stones are not big enough that your Cham can eat them lol.

Great choice on going live! Josh’s Frogs has plants, but they’re insanely small and expensive. LLL Reptile and the Bio Dude have plants, as well. Your best bet is going to a Lowe’s, Home Depot, Walmart, plant nursery, etc. and buying cham safe plants from there. They’re cheap and big. FL Chams has a plant safe list, pothos (devil’s ivy), ficus benjamina, and schefflera (umbrella tree- make sure to get an arboricola) are great as well! Make sure to either Physan, bleach dip (rinse off EXTREMELY well multiple times afterwards if using either), or just rinse off really well all plants then repot bareroot into organic soil before putting in the cage.

You can put it straight into an adult cage. Make sure the baby is atleast 3 months old, don’t let anyone sell you one any younger. I LOVE panthers!!! Personally, they’re the best, but lots of people feel that way about Jackson’s, up to you. Jackson’s are smaller but more sensitive to supplements and heat. What sex are you looking at? Go with a reputable breeder that has captive bred and born chams and can track their lineage and offers a guarantee of some sort. They should be open, knowledge, and helpful, with clean facilities. Don’t buy from “chameleon flippers”, like LLL Reptile, Backwater Reptiles, or CBReptile, Underground Reptile and Snakes at Sunset aren’t the best either. If you’re going online, FL Chams is good. Also, quality over price, the cheapest price isn’t always the best breeder to go with. Lots of good breeders on this forum, as well! The site sponsors here have supplies. Reptile Supply Company has the cheapest prices and pretty much everything you need, but they’re not reliable, LLL Reptile is good for supplies, Josh’s Frogs is a little expensive. Full Throttle Feeders, Rainbow Mealworms, and Dubia Roaches have a great variety of feeders, Josh’s Frogs does too, along with Mulberry Farms, but both are more expensive. I wouldn’t buy a chameleon kit, they’re generalized and not for a specific species or sex.
I was gonna use underground because their prices were better then anywhere els how come they arnt that good?

I used this link on this site https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
It is so full of info. I went by the plants listed. I bought mine from the local nursery and to be sure they were not sprayed with pesticides I went through a multi step process that I found on here for washing (with Dawn and water) rinsing them and repeat 3 times air drying in between the next washing. Then I replanted with a dirt peat moss mix from the pet store. Putting larger stones on top so Beman would not eat the dirt. Make sure the stones are not big enough that your Cham can eat them lol.
Never heard of that washing method, could you link it so I can learn about it? Make sure the stones are big enough to where your cham cannot eat them, too small is not good

Great choice on going live! Josh’s Frogs has plants, but they’re insanely small and expensive. LLL Reptile and the Bio Dude have plants, as well. Your best bet is going to a Lowe’s, Home Depot, Walmart, plant nursery, etc. and buying cham safe plants from there. They’re cheap and big. FL Chams has a plant safe list, pothos (devil’s ivy), ficus benjamina, and schefflera (umbrella tree- make sure to get an arboricola) are great as well! Make sure to either Physan, bleach dip (rinse off EXTREMELY well multiple times afterwards if using either), or just rinse off really well all plants then repot bareroot into organic soil before putting in the cage.
Okay thank you so much

What size is the cage?

Etsy & Ebay are another great source for live plants - many are organically raised as well. I scored a TON of cham friendly plants at really good prices - bromeliads listed as cuttings that are HUGE; prayer plants; goldfish plants...many you won't find at your local store.

Never heard of that washing method, could you link it so I can learn about it? Make sure the stones are big enough to where your cham cannot eat them, too small is not good
So I read it on this site http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Panther-Chameleon-Care-Information/ halfway down the article under Inside the Panther Chameleon cage. It was part of a larger article on Chameleons. I saw a very similar concept on here but not as many steps. The one I found said use a solution of warm water and antibacterial unscented soap. Take the plants down to the roots removing the dirt. wrap the roots in plastic wrap (so they do not get the solution on them) and then submerge the foliage into the solution swishing back and forth making sure the front and backs of leaves are fully coated. Pull out and let sit 10 minutes (this is supposed to help dissolve anything that was sprayed on them) then dip and rinse in clean warm water. Repeat two more times. On the 3rd time after rinsing the leaves thoroughly let air dry then plant into proper soil. I am using heavy larger rocks as I was freaked by the idea of him accidentally eating one.

Last edited:
So I read it on this site http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Panther-Chameleon-Care-Information/ halfway down the article under Inside the Panther Chameleon cage. It was part of a larger article on Chameleons. I saw a very similar concept on here but not as many steps. The one I found said use a solution of warm water and antibacterial unscented soap. Take the plants down to the roots removing the dirt. wrap the roots in plastic wrap (so they do not get the solution on them) and then submerge the foliage into the solution swishing back and forth making sure the front and backs of leaves are fully coated. Pull out and let sit 10 minutes (this is supposed to help dissolve anything that was sprayed on them) then dip and rinse in clean warm water. Repeat two more times. On the 3rd time after rinsing the leaves thoroughly let air dry then plant into proper soil. I am using heavy larger rocks as I was freaked by the idea of him accidentally eating one.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom