New to Chameleons!

garrettcc

hey everyone, my name is Garrett and hailing from North Carolina. Had quite a few reptiles over the years and never a chameleon so I’m stepping into the waters. Ive purchased a cage and lighting but still planning everything else before I get my first veiled. I feel very comfortable with my lights and feeding but still wanting to figure out what type of live plant would be best and if to get some sort of mister at a decent price or fogger. Should be picking up the little guy in a couple days and want it to be perfect. Any pointers would be great! Thanks in advanced.

Here is a list of chameleon safe plants: http://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
I am pretty sure that this site is credible and can be trusted, but if it is not, hopefully someone will solidify the accuracy. (I am pretty sure you can trust the list as I have seen it suggested by established members numerous times)

A mister/dripper would be good, but the fogger might not do much. Use a humidifier, particularly one with warm mist, to keep the humidity up.

What feeders are you going to be using?

Okay I’ll take a look at the plant list. For a humidifier, is there one you prefer? Would you just stick it in the bottom of the environment and let it do it’s thing? I have a little dripper and was going to mist it in the morning and in the evenings. For feeding, starting off with small crickets, and small insects. Have some calcium and what not as well.

Also, is there any types of calcium and supplements that are better than others? I want what’s best for the little guy.

An automated mist system like mist king or climist are highly recommended. You set the timer to spray throughout the day and all you have to remember is to keep the reservoir filled. In my case, the mist system spraying 3-4 or more times per day eliminated the need for a humidifier.

Supplements youll get a lot of different answers due to keepers personal preferences and experiences. Make sure whatever brand you choose is Phosphorous- free. I personally use Rep-Cal products. Rep-cal plain calcium every feeding, Rep-cal Calcium with D3 2 per month ( or once every 2 weeks) and Rep-Cal Herptivite multi-vitamin 2 per month (Alternating weeks with the D3).

The supplement schedule I use is a very generic one and some different brands of supplements may require more or less depending on vitamin and mineral content levels.

Properly gutloading your feeder insects is also just as important as the supplements. I prefer to stay away from the commercial gutloads youll see in the pet stores and stick to leafy greens from the grocery store. Dandelion greens, kale, escarole, and some veggies like squash are great to gutload feeders.

Okay I’ll take a look at the plant list. For a humidifier, is there one you prefer? Would you just stick it in the bottom of the environment and let it do it’s thing? I have a little dripper and was going to mist it in the morning and in the evenings. For feeding, starting off with small crickets, and small insects. Have some calcium and what not as well.
As long as it is easy to clean and provides a clean-smelling, warm mist, the humidifier doesn't matter too much. I got mine from a local grocery store.
For the calcium, I know that Repashy is very esteemed as well. But you could get away with anything from your local reptile shop as long as it is phosphorous free (crickets have enough phosphorous). You may want to buy one calcium supplement with vitamin d3 and one calcium supplement without d3. Like @Graves923 said, ''Alternating weeks with the D3". Some people do it every three days, some do it every other, but just make sure that the time with and without vitamin D3 is equivalent.
For the gutload, I agree about the commercial things. The only item I actually buy from the pet store is the yellow calcium gel so that my roaches are hydrated and have a bit of calcium. I rarely give this to them, or I mix it in with their regular gutload (carrots, kale, lettuce, collard greens, etc.)

I have a list of about 50 chameleon safe ingredients that you can use for a gutload, and I can pm it to you if you want.

As long as it is easy to clean and provides a clean-smelling, warm mist, the humidifier doesn't matter too much. I got mine from a local grocery store.
For the calcium, I know that Repashy is very esteemed as well. But you could get away with anything from your local reptile shop as long as it is phosphorous free (crickets have enough phosphorous). You may want to buy one calcium supplement with vitamin d3 and one calcium supplement without d3. Like @Graves923 said, ''Alternating weeks with the D3". Some people do it every three days, some do it every other, but just make sure that the time with and without vitamin D3 is equivalent.
For the gutload, I agree about the commercial things. The only item I actually buy from the pet store is the yellow calcium gel so that my roaches are hydrated and have a bit of calcium. I rarely give this to them, or I mix it in with their regular gutload (carrots, kale, lettuce, collard greens, etc.)

I have a list of about 50 chameleon safe ingredients that you can use for a gutload, and I can pm it to you if you want.

That would be great! Anything would be great. Want him to be super healthy.

An automated mist system like mist king or climist are highly recommended. You set the timer to spray throughout the day and all you have to remember is to keep the reservoir filled. In my case, the mist system spraying 3-4 or more times per day eliminated the need for a humidifier.

Supplements youll get a lot of different answers due to keepers personal preferences and experiences. Make sure whatever brand you choose is Phosphorous- free. I personally use Rep-Cal products. Rep-cal plain calcium every feeding, Rep-cal Calcium with D3 2 per month ( or once every 2 weeks) and Rep-Cal Herptivite multi-vitamin 2 per month (Alternating weeks with the D3).

The supplement schedule I use is a very generic one and some different brands of supplements may require more or less depending on vitamin and mineral content levels.

Properly gutloading your feeder insects is also just as important as the supplements. I prefer to stay away from the commercial gutloads youll see in the pet stores and stick to leafy greens from the grocery store. Dandelion greens, kale, escarole, and some veggies like squash are great to gutload feeders.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom