New to chameleons advice welcome

Camchester

So I’m on day 5 with my new buddy Neville :) I was told he’s 9 months old I’d say after reading and looking he’s a little older but in not 100%

So he’s eating well.
He will take from my hand or his food bowl.

Locus
Silk worms
Cockroack
Kale

Water
I’m Misting 3 times a day and a dip onto his plants

Activity
He gets about hunting and seems to be just getting about his home happy.

Drinking I’ve not noticed as yet

One thing ive noticed when I go over to his tank he comes over to the doors like he wants out. If I open the door he’s strait up my arm is this normal ?

Home
Exoterra
(I’m not sure of the model roughly 3x3 feet)

bioactive started worms woodlice and springtails added some moss and coco and a hand full of plants.

from what you can see is anything going wrong any advice more than welcome.

Attachments

• F151794A-8D43-4B61-87C7-0AB61F84CD3D.jpeg
    F151794A-8D43-4B61-87C7-0AB61F84CD3D.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 606B4C08-C9EC-46C0-9EF8-A2E9572FBBAB.jpeg
    606B4C08-C9EC-46C0-9EF8-A2E9572FBBAB.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 3633C4F0-FB4D-4545-BEB4-C3F7AA216C4B.jpeg
    3633C4F0-FB4D-4545-BEB4-C3F7AA216C4B.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 2258C2B7-748F-4E2D-9646-F6444C2F7DF1.jpeg
    2258C2B7-748F-4E2D-9646-F6444C2F7DF1.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 174
  • E86EA3DD-3B25-4761-B66D-BB2EE65FEE20.jpeg
    E86EA3DD-3B25-4761-B66D-BB2EE65FEE20.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 61746CE9-E67A-4688-BC2A-407C8ABB3CBD.jpeg
    61746CE9-E67A-4688-BC2A-407C8ABB3CBD.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, MALE

and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 5 DAYS (IM TOLD 9 MOMTHS)

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? WHEN EVER I PICK HIM UP OR IF I OPEN THE TANK HE COMEZ OUT
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? LOCUS ,WAX WORMS, COCKROACH

What amount? TILL HES FULL
What is the schedule? TWICE DAILY FEW EARLY ON FULLY BELLY 4pm
How are you gut-loading your feeders? VEG IN BOX
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering 3 X MISTING A DAY AND DRIP RUNNING DAILY
technique do you use?
How often and how long to you mist? 2/3 MIN A 3X A DAY
Do you see your chameleon drinking? NOT AS YET

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. BROWN LITTLE WHITE IN IT QUITE MOIST.

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? NOT THAT IM AWARE

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Exo Terra large

What are the dimensions?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 40/55 day time 75/80 at night

How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Spray/mist and water and environment

What do you use to measure humidity? DIGITAL UNIT
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? YES

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? IN MY OFFICE. MID TRAFFIC 2/3 PEOPLE A DAY.

Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? MANCHESTER UK

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful

Congrats on the new cham! His name is adorable (Harry Potter?). Thank you for answering the questions. They are super helpful as they can point out any issues with your husbandry... which I see a few things that can be corrected to give him the best life possible.

Obesity is a very real concern with a chameleon and it is easy to overfeed them. You say you feed him until he is full... Do you know how many bugs you are feeding him? At his age (assuming it is correct) you'll want to feed him 3-5 medium/large feeders once a day. Once chameleons hit about a year old, it's recommended to cut back to once, every other day.

What veggies specifically are you using for your gutload? This is important because some fruits and veggies are better or worse than others. See video below.

Please answer this question (SUPER IMPORTANT): Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? See video below.

Hard to tell how big your enclosure is since you didn't mention the dimensions. A quick search online shows the Large X-Tall Exo Terra is 18x18x36". A male veiled chameleon needs a 24x24x48" enclosure. Some brands that make these are Zoomed Reptibreeze, Dragon Strand, and DIY cages.

Even though you didn't answer the lighting question, I can tell you have a compact UVB bulb. These don't penetrate deep enough for a chameleon to get enough UVB. What you'll want is a linear T5 HO (high output) UVB. Two brands that are recommended are Arcadia 6% and Reptisun 5.0.

I see you took a pic of your temp, but I can't tell where this is being measured. If that is the basking temp, is needs to be hotter. A male veiled needs a basking temp of 90-95 in order to properly digest their food. See video below.

Hope this helps! And be sure to answer the remaining questions, and ask any that you might have. I threw a lot of info at you and know it can be overwhelming. I also have a chameleon YouTube channel with a bunch of how-to videos you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q/

So I’m on day 5 with my new buddy Neville :) I was told he’s 9 months old I’d say after reading and looking he’s a little older but in not 100%

So he’s eating well.
He will take from my hand or his food bowl.

Locus
Silk worms
Cockroack
Kale

Water
I’m Misting 3 times a day and a dip onto his plants

Activity
He gets about hunting and seems to be just getting about his home happy.

Drinking I’ve not noticed as yet

One thing ive noticed when I go over to his tank he comes over to the doors like he wants out. If I open the door he’s strait up my arm is this normal ?

Home
Exoterra
(I’m not sure of the model roughly 3x3 feet)

bioactive started worms woodlice and springtails added some moss and coco and a hand full of plants.

from what you can see is anything going wrong any advice more than welcome.
Congratulations on your new cham! They are amazing, the cage looks beautiful! Also as stated by everyone else, you're going to have to upgrade his cage because he's at that age where he's going to grow a lot! They get up to about anywhere around 2 feet! So you don't want him to feel crammed. Also what is that thermostat measuring? His basking temp? If so. That's a little too cold. You want to try to get it around anywhere from 85-95 degrees.

Congrats on the new cham! His name is adorable (Harry Potter?). Thank you for answering the questions. They are super helpful as they can point out any issues with your husbandry... which I see a few things that can be corrected to give him the best life possible.

No the name was from the movie choppa ‍♂️ As in Neil Barto

Obesity is a very real concern with a chameleon and it is easy to overfeed them. You say you feed him until he is full... Do you know how many bugs you are feeding him? At his age (assuming it is correct) you'll want to feed him 3-5 medium/large feeders once a day. Once chameleons hit about a year old, it's recommended to cut back to once, every other day.

He’s eating one day 4 wax worms or 2 and a cockroach next day 4 locus

What veggies specifically are you using for your gutload? This is important because some fruits and veggies are better or worse than others. See video below.

Kale is the only thing he’s eat so fa

Please answer this question (SUPER IMPORTANT): Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? See video below.

Hard to tell how big your enclosure is since you didn't mention the dimensions. A quick search online shows the Large X-Tall Exo Terra is 18x18x36". A male veiled chameleon needs a 24x24x48" enclosure. Some brands that make these are Zoomed Reptibreeze, Dragon Strand, and DIY cages.

Even though you didn't answer the lighting question, I can tell you have a compact UVB bulb. These don't penetrate deep enough for a chameleon to get enough UVB. What you'll want is a linear T5 HO (high output) UVB. Two brands that are recommended are Arcadia 6% and Reptisun 5.0.

I see you took a pic of your temp, but I can't tell where this is being measured. If that is the basking temp, is needs to be hotter. A male veiled needs a basking temp of 90-95 in order to properly digest their food. See video below.

Hope this helps! And be sure to answer the remaining questions, and ask any that you might have. I threw a lot of info at you and know it can be overwhelming. I also have a chameleon YouTube channel with a bunch of how-to videos you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q/

Basking ranges from 95-114 pending building temps etc.

and it looks like I’ll be upgrading his tank again soon enough then lol.

thanks for all the kind words.

Couple comments on your responses.
  • 114 is wayyyyyy too hot. You're going to fry your poor guy and run the risk of burning him.
  • Wax worms are high in fat and should only be used as a treat. Roaches and locus are better options for him. I would also feed him things like superworms, silk worms, black solider fly larvae, blue bottle flies, etc.
  • You still didn't answer what you're using for gutlaod… what are you feeding the bugs before you feed them to Neville? If you're not feeding your bugs anything, that needs to change. Please see the video I linked above.
  • You also didn't answer the supplement question. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Improper supplementation can lead to metabolic bone disease, D3 poisoning, and in most cases, death.
  • The only thing more important than the supplements, is getting him the proper UVB. The one you're using now is not sufficient.
Things that you need to change/do ASAP in order of importance:
  1. Buy a new UVB fixture and bulb. You want a linear T5 HO UVB bulb. Either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.
  2. Get the correct supplements and use them regularly. You'll need calcium WITHOUT D3, calcium WITH D3, and a multivitamin.
  3. Lower the basking temp to be 90-95F
  4. Get a larger enclosure - 24"x24"x48"
  5. Start gutloading your bugs
  6. Feed more bugs that are higher protein and lower in fat

My 2 cents-

We can't help if you aren't willing to make changes. Just getting that out of the way.

Supplement schedule- Calcium w/o d3 every day, calcium w/d3 once every two weeks, and a multivitamin once every two weeks (alternate).

Continuing on what @Gingero said, I would get a reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen cage. Your current cage is too small.

Your lighting is also incorrect (as said above) you need to change it to a t5ho 5.0 reptisun/6% Arcadia. No way around it. Do not get a T8ho. For your basking bulb I would just grab a regular household bulb 60-70 watts.

Gutloading is very important. In short, you are what you eat, and what it eats. Here is a sheet on some good gut loading options. It is also recommended to include some sort of commercial gutload.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png

Here are some good feeder insect options-

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png

Could you give some more clear photos of him?

Hi sorry I was totally wrong on the heat I’ve taken a few images. Sorry for the slow reply’s I’m mad with work today

ok so the yellow is the basking spot the black is the other side of the tank.

supplement brand I’m not 100% but I can check in the morning and add information too.

and change course I’m willing to change anything for a better life for my little buddy.

the 99% humidity is because I’ve just misted.

are any of the bulbs in the images of any use. ? Or is it just the t5 stips

could someone please show me how there running there t5s in there tank thanks

Attachments

• 66863EDC-76C9-4460-A7A3-6F531DFF462F.jpeg
    66863EDC-76C9-4460-A7A3-6F531DFF462F.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 2D0ECB7C-11A0-497C-AC6C-812F27839F00.jpeg
    2D0ECB7C-11A0-497C-AC6C-812F27839F00.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 230DFC70-6D54-410E-8F51-CC5CDC45F254.jpeg
    230DFC70-6D54-410E-8F51-CC5CDC45F254.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 97
  • A5FCBFC9-91DC-4AD5-B5DE-E1585932EEE9.jpeg
    A5FCBFC9-91DC-4AD5-B5DE-E1585932EEE9.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 6C99366F-ED9A-4A11-852D-54DE216301A2.jpeg
    6C99366F-ED9A-4A11-852D-54DE216301A2.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 659DD85A-184E-4F43-A756-E497928458DD.jpeg
    659DD85A-184E-4F43-A756-E497928458DD.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 64DE219F-D80E-4A48-9629-C625332B0528.jpeg
    64DE219F-D80E-4A48-9629-C625332B0528.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Couple comments on your responses.
  • 114 is wayyyyyy too hot. You're going to fry your poor guy and run the risk of burning him.
  • Wax worms are high in fat and should only be used as a treat. Roaches and locus are better options for him. I would also feed him things like superworms, silk worms, black solider fly larvae, blue bottle flies, etc.
  • You still didn't answer what you're using for gutlaod… what are you feeding the bugs before you feed them to Neville? If you're not feeding your bugs anything, that needs to change. Please see the video I linked above.
  • You also didn't answer the supplement question. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Improper supplementation can lead to metabolic bone disease, D3 poisoning, and in most cases, death.
  • The only thing more important than the supplements, is getting him the proper UVB. The one you're using now is not sufficient.
Things that you need to change/do ASAP in order of importance:
  1. Buy a new UVB fixture and bulb. You want a linear T5 HO UVB bulb. Either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.
  2. Get the correct supplements and use them regularly. You'll need calcium WITHOUT D3, calcium WITH D3, and a multivitamin.
  3. Lower the basking temp to be 90-95F
  4. Get a larger enclosure - 24"x24"x48"
  5. Start gutloading your bugs
  6. Feed more bugs that are higher protein and lower in fat
I’ve only had the bugs feeding on Kale and lettuce and they have only been dusted once with one of the two powders I was provided I’ll add the pictures of them in the morning

food more bugs noted

temps I gave the wrong information earlier sorry. I think they are in fact correct

tank might have to Waite a few weeks as I just spent a few hundred on this one

Light fittings bought today and I still need a bulb tomorrow as it wasn’t in stock.

thanks for all advice

Supplements.

so I’ve just ordered a small tank for the seeds so there not in there plastic boxesI think it will make it easier to dust them and feet them this way.

Attachments

• C6ABE6EC-D589-4265-B6C2-C08BB6C07520.jpeg
    C6ABE6EC-D589-4265-B6C2-C08BB6C07520.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 7B4D48D8-8504-414D-BBB1-24D4370AC7AA.jpeg
    7B4D48D8-8504-414D-BBB1-24D4370AC7AA.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 126
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Timer-Aquarium-Marine-Cichlid/dp/B01L9SPDD0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=Odessa+t5&qid=1580498304&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
Good option for a t5 linear you will need to put a uvb bulb in and possibly different daylight bulbs they come with a 10000k bulbs and a aquatic reef bulb. Hydroponic shops tell t5 bulbs 6500k tends to be "natural" I'm not sure if the warmer or cooler k will effect the chameleons eyes but many people do use alternative bulbs to the 6500k for plant growth

hydroponics is my industry I have the t5 strips sat hear I’m going to get this sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom