New T. perreti eggs!

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Ok, so over a week ago I ordered five Trioceros perreti from the new Cameroon import. The importer agreed to ship suspected gravid females. However, when they arrived, I could see no sign that any were gravid.

Well, today while cleaning up, I found five eggs in one of the plastic containers they were shipped in! They are a bit dried out and dented in but I think they are savable.

Just a reminder to always check to see if they laid in transit. I would have noticed, but I was late for an appointment when they arrived and just unboxed them and placed them in enclosures.

That explains that one sleepy one. She's in recovery.

Awesome news Mike! Crossing my fingers that they can be saved! I'm so excited for mine to come in Wednesday :D

Chase

Here's a photo of them. They are plumping back up. They looked horrible a couple hours ago before I soaked them in shallow water for about an hour.

I think they might make it.

I'm recently switching to smaller incubating containers, the incubator was getting too full for the big ones. The medium is a mix of perlite and vermiculite. Something I'm testing out.

Attachments

• driedeggs.jpg
    driedeggs.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 320
Congrats Mike! I'm glad you found the eggs and hopefully they will hatch for you.

Thanks jannb. I almost didn't find them at all. I was just organizing a bit and knocked one of the containers on to the floor and heard a weird rattling. Had I not knocked it over, they would have perished. They must have been well hidden inside the paper towel she was packed with, that's why I didn't see them when she arrived.

Only one of them is slightly dented this morning, so they are looking better. I'll feel better once I see pink through the shells. The other concern that I have is that once the eggs have dried to that extent and then rehydrated, the shells become harder to pip. In my experience anyway.

I palpated her today and am pretty sure I feel three more eggs. No signs of restlessness yet, so I'll just keep an eye on her. She can lay in the cage if she needs.

Eggs have completely rehydrated and look fertile. Goes to show that even after almost a week they were still viable, so never throw out those eggs laid in the cage until you give them a chance.

Nine more eggs laid today. One is a bit soft, so I believe I have eight good ones. If everything goes well it will be a good summer. ;)

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 268
Back
Top Bottom