New strategy for raising babies

javadi

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is how I’ve been keeping babies of various species of chameleon, and it has worked very well for me. Grass and pea shoots. I’ve not been to Madagascar nor anywhere in Africa, but from what I can gather, many chameleon species live in undergrowth nearer to the ground as babies (and some as adults). As such I think this mimics natural environment to an extent, and encourages high humidity. There is more surface area for plants with grasses. The pea plants are a great diameter for baby chameleons and even if they die, they still make perfect climbing areas since they’re effectively vines that grow towards the light. All of this is also very cheap compared to individual plants from common retailers, and doing it this way precludes pesticides being added without one’s knowledge to the plants.

Attachments

• 1690650A-6D50-4C6F-9551-CF05FECE5F9D.jpeg
    1690650A-6D50-4C6F-9551-CF05FECE5F9D.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 839CB7BE-A8D6-48DB-BF65-6DA22AD96210.jpeg
    839CB7BE-A8D6-48DB-BF65-6DA22AD96210.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 80
Looks awesome! What is your method for planting? From seed?
Yep, from seed for the most part. This is nice because it actually provides material for breakdown in the bioactive setup (like the fern fiber, bark etc. in ABG mix), since after the grass sprouts, it leaves behind husks. Same with peas. I occasionally transplant grass into the enclosures as well for grass variety, but the foundation is just seed. If some dies you can also add more seed to it to continue revitalizing with the seed fiber left behind after sprouting.

OMG I just figured out who you are lol. I saw your post on FB and listened to your podcast on T. Ellioti. Never realized you were in the forum as well :hilarious: Happy you are though.
Haha, glad to hear it! :)
I'm a relative newbie on the forums, but glad I'm here as well!

This is how I’ve been keeping babies of various species of chameleon, and it has worked very well for me. Grass and pea shoots. I’ve not been to Madagascar nor anywhere in Africa, but from what I can gather, many chameleon species live in undergrowth nearer to the ground as babies (and some as adults). As such I think this mimics natural environment to an extent, and encourages high humidity. There is more surface area for plants with grasses. The pea plants are a great diameter for baby chameleons and even if they die, they still make perfect climbing areas since they’re effectively vines that grow towards the light. All of this is also very cheap compared to individual plants from common retailers, and doing it this way precludes pesticides being added without one’s knowledge to the plants.
I love this! While I’ll probably not be breeding any chameleons, this looks like the perfect set up that I would want to have.

It was an excellent interview by the way! You might be a newer in the forums but you are by far not a newbie. :)
So glad you liked it! I thought I fumbled a couple times but at least word got out about such a cool species of chameleon. There is likely another podcast ep coming in a few months so stay tuned!

Back
Top Bottom