New Rescue

drj5600

Alright guys, I did what every animal lover shouldn't do and I went to the animal/reptile section of the pet store while buying dog food and was heartbroken by what I saw - a teeeeeeeny, tiiiiiiiiiny veiled cham looking more pitiful than any creature I've ever seen :(:(. He was just hanging by two feet from the ceiling of his enclosure with both eyes shut. I know I should have never walked over but once I saw him I just could not leave him there.

I knooooow that I just fed into the awful pet store pet trade and opened a spot for another cham to be put but I just couldn't let this little one suffer any longer (plus I just happened to have everything I needed for a small cham setup already at home). Upon closer inspection, he has burns all over his little body and both eyes are not in good shape. There is no telling when he last ate or drank because there were no crickets to be found in his enclosure (even if they were, it would have taken heroic efforts for this little guy to get to the ground to get them) and he had a dripper that was dripping straight into a bowl on the ground :mad:. The temps in his glass enclosure were also nearing 100 degrees with barely 30% humidity from the gauge in his enclosure.

I only have panthers and a jackson's so any advice you all can give me on veileds would be much appreciated!! I have the little one quarantined in my guest bedroom in a small screen cage with lots of good hiding places, UVB, and a decent basking spot. With it being christmas weekend, I don't think a reptile vet trip will be possible but luckily I've got two small animal veterinarians for parents ;) hopefully we will be able to get him started on some meds for his eyes. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress and please send up a little prayer for this guy! If he doesn't end up making it, at least I can know I tried everything I could.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 134
I would have probably done the same thing, that is why I stay clear of the reptile section in those stores if I have to go in there for something else. Best of luck with him(are you sure he is a male?) Your picture did not show up.

33884D56-9FD8-4B1B-9685-CA489E8025C2.jpeg

Good eye ^^^^^

13580E35-9408-474D-8C46-9A7903BA0200.jpeg

Not sure if she’s got some fracture little ribbies too but none of my other babies have ever had ribs that looked this way.

216B6CFC-F65B-4F19-8981-62BDF69AA28F.jpeg

Bad eye ^^^

C4AB0507-1053-4FBC-9D79-854A38A1FB24.jpeg

Burns^^

FB8D41FF-3E67-4431-A882-E26BE365D0A3.jpeg
5C09F959-CC0D-46E7-B6BD-5F359FD560A3.jpeg
Alright guys so here’s an update:

I’m pretty sure it’s a female because I see no evidence of spurs whatsoever (from my research, this is how you sex veiled correct????)

I’ve switched her over to a much more suitable enclosure because the screen cage was so big it was just swallowing her up and the branches I had in there from a previous cham were just too thick for her tiny little feet. She also kept finding her way to the screen directly under the heat lamp and I didn’t want her to get any more burnt than she already is.

I took a closer look at her state and documented with photos...coorporate of this chain store will be receiving a very strongly worded email from me shortly.

This afternoon we flushed her little eyes out with a saline/tobramycin solution and she’s now opening both eyes (YAY). She is settling in to her new digs and I’ve seen her eat two gutloaded crickets so far...so I think we’ve got a fighter on our hands!!! She is still pitifil but as long as she won’t give up, I’m not going to either.

And hey, now I’ve got an excuse to exit the awkward Christmas family gatherings early :LOL:(y)

View attachment 196806
Good eye ^^^^^

View attachment 196807
Not sure if she’s got some fracture little ribbies too but none of my other babies have ever had ribs that looked this way.

View attachment 196808
Bad eye ^^^

View attachment 196803
Burns^^

View attachment 196804 View attachment 196805 Alright guys so here’s an update:

I’m pretty sure it’s a female because I see no evidence of spurs whatsoever (from my research, this is how you sex veiled correct????)

I’ve switched her over to a much more suitable enclosure because the screen cage was so big it was just swallowing her up and the branches I had in there from a previous cham were just too thick for her tiny little feet. She also kept finding her way to the screen directly under the heat lamp and I didn’t want her to get any more burnt than she already is.

I took a closer look at her state and documented with photos...coorporate of this chain store will be receiving a very strongly worded email from me shortly.

This afternoon we flushed her little eyes out with a saline/tobramycin solution and she’s now opening both eyes (YAY). She is settling in to her new digs and I’ve seen her eat two gutloaded crickets so far...so I think we’ve got a fighter on our hands!!! She is still pitifil but as long as she won’t give up, I’m not going to either.

And hey, now I’ve got an excuse to exit the awkward Christmas family gatherings early :LOL:(y)
Thanks to you...you both may have a Merry Christmas.

And hey, now I’ve got an excuse to exit the awkward Christmas family gatherings early :LOL:(y)[/QUOTE]

She is adorable. She looks like mine who just died. It was kind of you to rescue her.

Back
Top Bottom