New Pygmies! (Thanks ataraxia!) Girls or boys?

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
Ataraxia has supplied me with 3 new brevs to restart my little colony after my mama pyg passed away right when the ban went into place. They are in great shape and are eating and drinking great in quarantine! When I first unpacked them and looked at them all together I thought 2 females and 1 male for sure. Then I let them settle for a few days with minimal contact and now that I have looked at them more today...I'm not so sure... 2 are easy.

#1: Male for sure:
full

#2: Female for sure:
full

(A little hard to see but her tail is just a nubbin)

#3: ...female? The tail is a little long (long enough to curl a little), but not really long, and it's thin.
full

#4: Then I looked at my cb baby now over 6 months old and had doubts there too. I thought male...but this tail is about the same length as the one above, just thicker.
full

Pyg peeps: thoughts? Really hoping the 3 & 4 are not both males...that would make it 4 males and 1 female.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Oww tricky looks like the top one is male and the bottom one is female but Im way to new for my guess to count. Good luck how its is 3 females and a male.

Oh and I have another for-sure-male at home for anyone curious about the final count. ;)
Tiberius (little old man):
full

Now that's a male tail!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for pygs! I get mine in on Tuesday from atrax. Going to be a male and female :) maybe we could swap some bloodlines further down the road

Top 100% male and the last (the cb) male. the rest female(sept the one in the 2nd post. hes your boy :)

I think the two unknown ones are male. They are confusing though. I'm still on the fence about #3 though...

I'd be tempted to say they are males from the pics, but its always hard to tell. #4 seems male, #3 though is really hard to tell.....could it be a temp? he does look a little different, but I've never had temps (and he doesn't seem to have the little spike under his chin? perhaps thats just the pic)

In my experiences, my males show the "stripe" almost all the time, while females tend to only show that stripe when they are trying to tell males to go away (or otherwise scared).

That is not a temporalis. Temporalis have diagonal striping while brevs have horizontal striping. Plus their bodies look very different.

#3 seems to be a mystery all around...I guess I'll just have to wait until quarantine is over and see what happens when I introduce them to my old man pyg. I'll introduce the known female first to see if he is receptive to a female or if he is just upset at an intruder. If he's receptive then I'll put in the unknown to judge his reaction. I'm still leaning toward female personally with the body shape and coloration and thin tail base.

Back
Top Bottom