New panther not eating

Grimbo123

Hi people
My new Cham which I've had 3 days now isn't eating?
He fed from my hand the first day
But now nothing. I've put hoppers and crickets in the viv and he isn't interested.

His basking spot temp is 33c
And the ambient is 22c
He gets misted 3 times a day, by the mist king.
But for some reason he doesn't want to eat.

Any clues?
Or any advise?

Cheers dean

if you just got him a few days ago, id suggest he is probably just trying to settle in. give him some time. How old? is he?

if you just got him a few days ago, id suggest he is probably just trying to settle in. give him some time. How old? is he?

Yeah I was thinking that.
He's 6-7 months old and he's lovely.
So friendly and wanting to be out of the cage all the time. Lol

They're usually hungry the first day in the cage, especially if they were shipped, and then once the veil of hunger is gone they're like: "Ew! Human!"

They're usually hungry the first day in the cage, especially if they were shipped, and then once the veil of hunger is gone they're like: "Ew! Human!"

So I guess just give it couple of days and he should start eating?

ok so its been nearly 5 days ago
since my cham has eaten a hopper or cricket.
I have tried to hand feed it and put some in the viv to see if he will chase them down and nothing.

any ideals on how to temp this little guy to eat

I have noticed him eating the live plants(safe ones in the viv)
so he must be hungry....

I will create a feeder cup later and try that?

is there any particular food they like?
which I could temp him on.

cheers

He might just be shy and not eating when your looking- check for poop if he's pooping he's eating-
Sometimes changing sizes of feeders will help- bluebottle flies are my favorite appetite stimulator.. but I'm thinking your in the UK and they might not be as easy to come by as they are here. I would try silkworms or hornworms if you can find them -

Is the size of the feeder insect right? If they are too big, they won't eat them.

Your earlier comment about him being friendly and wanting out of his cage suggests he is stressed. "Friendly" is not a trait I think chameleons can possess. They might tolerate you, might even look forward to you giving them what they want, but they don't make friends. Trying to get out of the cage can be a sign of stress.

Does he have enough plant cover to feel safe? A feeder cup will likely inhibit his hunting instincts. Let the feeders free.

I'm not a big believer in "hunger strikes." Anorexia has a cause, but sometimes teasing out why an animal is anorexic is difficult. Healthy animals don't starve themselves to death; however, sometimes not eating for whatever reason becomes the driver for continuing not to eat.

Look at stress and health reasons for anorexia.

Flies are very stimulating for a chameleon. Sometimes getting them to eat something, anything, can break the cycle of anorexia. Get yourself a butterfly net and go hunt some bugs that fly.

I would try putting some crickets in a cup and putting them somewhere in his cage. Then leave the room and come back after 30 minutes see if he has eaten then.
You said he likes to come out of his cage. put a few worms on the ground and let him out. see if he will eat those (it works with my female).

Back
Top Bottom