New owner

cale1234

Hey all, just wanting to know if there is anything that I could be doing better/ or seeing if everything looks okay. I am using a mister twice a day right before lights come on and before lights turn off for 2 minutes. Then a misting at 11 for 1 minute for a little extra night time humidity. I have an automatic lighting system which turns my uvb and heat lamp off 12 hours apart. Using a t5 5.0 uvb bulb and a 60W heat lamp bulb. Baksing spot is 80 to 85 and gradient is 75 to 60. All live plants. Feeding 4 to 5 bugs(dubias, solider fly larvae, crickets, and superworms) every other day with calcium w/o d3 dusted every feeding and a multivit 2 times a month.

Just looking to see if there is anything I could do

Attachments

• 20230128_153308.jpg
    20230128_153308.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230128_153303.jpg
    20230128_153303.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230128_153256.jpg
    20230128_153256.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi and welcome! :) That looks and sounds like you’re most definitely on the right track. I do have some feedback for you. You really need more distance between the basking light and where your chameleon can get to. At the current distance it looks like he is at high risk for getting burned. If your uvb is a 5.0 or 6%, then you’ll need a distance of about 8-9” between lights and basking area. I love that you’re using only live plants. Add more, especially in the back. Adding more branches would also be great to give your handsome guy more roads to travel as he does his regular patrols. What are you using for giving him vitamin D3?

Hi and welcome! :) That looks and sounds like you’re most definitely on the right track. I do have some feedback for you. You really need more distance between the basking light and where your chameleon can get to. At the current distance it looks like he is at high risk for getting burned. If your uvb is a 5.0 or 6%, then you’ll need a distance of about 8-9” between lights and basking area. I love that you’re using only live plants. Add more, especially in the back. Adding more branches would also be great to give your handsome guy more roads to travel as he does his regular patrols. What are you using for giving him vitamin D3?
I am giving him a multivitamin twice a month every 15 days to get him D3. And with the heat lamp distance I had It at 8 inches but it wasn't producing enough heat at that distance so I just raised it up 2 inches. I think that the bulbs are a little weaker. But I've read that 60 W is the way to go regarding safety and heat.

Which multivitamin in particular are you using?
Your bulb strength depends on your unique environment. For me, I use 60w with my girls which keeps their temps around 80. For my males I use a 75w to give them a warmer 85. It would be better to have the distance and use a slightly stronger bulb than to use the lower watt one and have him so close. Do keep in mind your uvb levels. At approx 8-9” the uv index is around the ideal 3. Any closer and the uvb strength can dramatically increase.

Which multivitamin in particular are you using?
Your bulb strength depends on your unique environment. For me, I use 60w with my girls which keeps their temps around 80. For my males I use a 75w to give them a warmer 85. It would be better to have the distance and use a slightly stronger bulb than to use the lower watt one and have him so close. Do keep in mind your uvb levels. At approx 8-9” the uv index is around the ideal 3. Any closer and the uvb strength can dramatically increase.
I am using reptivite with d3 as the multivitamin. And I will get started on fixing the height of the basking branch.

Hello and welcome! You have done a nice job creating a cham habitate. Flukers makes some really good vines in a variety if sizes that can add to your jungle gym and they arent too costly. If your plants dont thrive Sansi makes some nice plant lights that will help. You have got yourself a male and he will want to patrol the entire cage at times so giving him extra vines will help. 🐸

Hello and welcome! You have done a nice job creating a cham habitate. Flukers makes some really good vines in a variety if sizes that can add to your jungle gym and they arent too costly. If your plants dont thrive Sansi makes some nice plant lights that will help. You have got yourself a male and he will want to patrol the entire cage at times so giving him extra vines will help. 🐸
Thank you and I've just read that those vines are a great place for bacteria to grow is that true or...?

Thank you and I've just read that those vines are a great place for bacteria to grow is that true or...?

. Flukers makes some really good vines
In the 3-4 years I've kepty chameleon I've learned to avoid these at all cost. They are cheap and easy and that often comes with drawbacks.
The fake vines with rubberized material are a hazard as chameleons often puff up their eyes and rub them on branches and leaves the rubber can get into the eye. Which is par of an issue I had with my chameleon in his first set up.

It pays off 10 fold to use real branches and live plants and users have shared many creative ways to mount branches to the frame of the enclosure. I've bought dragon ledges but if cost is an issue someone provided a way to run branches to the frame and make a support system that will preserve the integrity of the cage and allow you to mount as many branches and plants as you'd like.

Also mzlaurie11 mentioned sansi light these and jungle dawn are key for good plant growth ive got multiple sansi for my chameleon and house plants as well as a jungle dawn I recently purchased. Very pleased with each.

Well the vines that came with one set up were rubber around a metal cord which i tossed. I have never had an issue with them And as far a bacteria, i usualy wipe everything down once a month with chlarhexidine used by vets as a pet safe bacteria/fungus cleaner. Its good for smaller chams that have a hard time climbing branches larger than their little grasp.

I am using reptivite with d3 as the multivitamin. And I will get started on fixing the height of the basking branch.
Offer multiple basking perches. Also i have dimmer switch on all of my basking lights so i can adjust without moving branches. This is why i keep the temp gauge at basking area i have found that all bulbs are not created equal. I have noticed that if your boy, which is very healthy looking, goes to the bottom, is there a way to climb back up? Screen climbing at his size could cause him to lose nails. At some point he will start to patrol the entire cage and needs to have access to all of it so he doesnt hurt himself. Thats why i like vines.(only Flukers they also have luve feeders and vitamins). I do love the entertainment center you used. It looks really great!

Offer multiple basking perches. Also i have dimmer switch on all of my basking lights so i can adjust without moving branches. This is why i keep the temp gauge at basking area i have found that all bulbs are not created equal. I have noticed that if your boy, which is very healthy looking, goes to the bottom, is there a way to climb back up? Screen climbing at his size could cause him to lose nails. At some point he will start to patrol the entire cage and needs to have access to all of it so he doesnt hurt himself. Thats why i like vines.(only Flukers they also have luve feeders and vitamins). I do love the entertainment center you used. It looks really great!
So sorry its flukerfarms.com

Back
Top Bottom