New Owner!

Hey there! I'm fairly new to reptiles in general which I know you're not supposed to take on a chameleon as a beginner but I have a good support system and felt, with enough research I could figure things out. So I'm upgrading my boy (Rango, 5-6 month old male veiled chameleon) to a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft enclosure but I'm kinda hesitant to do it right now cause he just started a shed. He hasn't had a great past and gets stressed very easily so I was looking for any advice really. Will take any tips! I'm constantly trying to learn more

Attachments

• 20220721_210411.jpg
    20220721_210411.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220729_181101.jpg
    20220729_181101.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 46
Hey welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons! Why not just wait the shed out and set the new cage up and get everything prepped! Are you using new plants or adding any? Did you also upgrade your uvb to span the whole enclosure? Just tossing some thoughts out!

If you go ahead and put your new enclosure together. If you have dragon ledges you can put your pot in pot plants on the sides and get them established. Pothos is a great one to use. It took me about a month to get it ready. Welcome to the family😊 is that a male veiled

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_065319_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220720_065319_hdr.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 54
Hey there! I'm fairly new to reptiles in general which I know you're not supposed to take on a chameleon as a beginner but I have a good support system and felt, with enough research I could figure things out. So I'm upgrading my boy (Rango, 5-6 month old male veiled chameleon) to a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft enclosure but I'm kinda hesitant to do it right now cause he just started a shed. He hasn't had a great past and gets stressed very easily so I was looking for any advice really. Will take any tips! I'm constantly trying to learn more
He looks handsome! Can’t wait to see more of him.

Welcome on here! If you want, you can do a husbandry review to double check that everything's accurate for your handsome boy's new home! Two things I notice in his current cage are fake plants and Exo Terra vines, both of which should not go in his new cage as they are dangerous and can cause health issues

Hey welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons! Why not just wait the shed out and set the new cage up and get everything prepped! Are you using new plants or adding any? Did you also upgrade your uvb to span the whole enclosure? Just tossing some thoughts out!
Yeah I think I'm gonna wait cause he's been super grumpy. I'm getting probably 2 or 3 super viney ones pothos is definitely one of them! The UVB I have it's already too big for his 18x18x30 but ill double check to make sure it fits!!

Welcome on here! If you want, you can do a husbandry review to double check that everything's accurate for your handsome boy's new home! Two things I notice in his current cage are fake plants and Exo Terra vines, both of which should not go in his new cage as they are dangerous and can cause health issues
Yeah this is the setup I bought with him and I just haven't had the time to remove those things yet. Do you have any suggestions for where to get sticks for the cage? Also with fake plants I still will probably keep a few but only the silky ones. Since I've read that those ones are okay. I don't have any substrate or repti carpet either just to put it out there. What do you recommend for a drainage system for the mesh sided enclosures? I know you can drill holes in the bottom but I dont have something big enough to put under it! Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice!

Yeah this is the setup I bought with him and I just haven't had the time to remove those things yet. Do you have any suggestions for where to get sticks for the cage? Also with fake plants I still will probably keep a few but only the silky ones. Since I've read that those ones are okay. I don't have any substrate or repti carpet either just to put it out there. What do you recommend for a drainage system for the mesh sided enclosures? I know you can drill holes in the bottom but I dont have something big enough to put under it! Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice!
You can buy or collect sticks and branches, as long as they aren't from sap-producing or toxic trees (oak, manzanita, ghost wood, crepe myrtle, etc are all great!). You can't have fake plants at all, as veileds will eat them which could cause an impaction and lead to death. Here's a great thread for drainage ideas! https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/ What size is your bigger cage?

You can buy or collect sticks and branches, as long as they aren't from sap-producing or toxic trees (oak, manzanita, ghost wood, crepe myrtle, etc are all great!). You can't have fake plants at all, as veileds will eat them which could cause an impaction and lead to death. Here's a great thread for drainage ideas! https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/ What size is your bigger cage?
He's seemed to learn not to eat the fake plants and I only feed him in a food bowl. I'm definitely careful about it though and they're pretty temporary. My bigger cage is the 24inx24inx48in Reptibreeze cage! Also thanks for the drainage ideas!!

Do you really think it's worth the risk of him eating the fake leaves...or wouldn't removal be better? It only has to happen once for your chameleon to become impacted and die.
I don't really have any other options due to financial reasons. That's why I've only been using the silk ones. Plus I don't want him to get stressed out due to a lack of foliage and hiding spots. I really am trying but the new enclosure I bought him was pretty expensive so live plants are my next paycheck kinda thing.

Back
Top Bottom