Hi all. New owner here. Picked up our little bundle of joy today. His name is bud.
- Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon. Age unknow. Sex sold as male. Owned approx 4 hours
- Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? So far not much but he seems happy to climb onto an offered hand. Don’t worry about handling too often at this stage.
- Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Plan is crickets. Meal worms etc gut loading with fresh food. More detail here: what do you mean by fresh food? Also, it’s a good idea to include several different types of feeder. Crickets, roaches, silkworms, bsfl, hornworms, and the occasional super worm. I’d skip the meal worms.
- Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Plan on using arcadia calcium pro to dust daily and nutrobal one a week. Do you mean “Arcadia earthpro A”? Or is that just plain calcium? A lot will depend on your lighting here...more on this later. With a veiled, new owners typically find using an all-in-one such as “Repashy calcium plus LoD” at every feeding is often the easiest way to supplement until they feel comfortable with their research into several supplementation regimes. “Arcadia earth pro A” is also sort of an all-in-one, but it has no fat soluble vitamins, so some research and understanding is required to implement this routine.
- Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Plan mist twice a day. Not seen him drink as yetv. Hydration is a hot topic right now, and there are several schools of thought. To being with, I’d mist just before lights on in the AM, twice during the day for several minutes, and once just after lights off.
- Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not seen any yet and no idea
- History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Exo terra. Glass sides mesh top. 60cmcube. Unfortunately, this will be too small long term. Your chameleon can reach a length almost equal to the dimensions of your tank.
- Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Exo tera glow light with 75watt bulb. Arcadia ip67with a 14watt 12%uvb tube. No clue as yet to schedule. Your basking bulb will probably be too hot if you place it right on the enclosure. Try positioning it to create a basking area that hits around 85. Your uvb bulb (it’s a t5) is a great bulb. Good job! Youll want to place it on top the screen and have your main basking branch approximately 6” directly below it. Lighting schedule should be 12 hours uvb, and run your basking first thing in the morning until mid afternoon. Nightime should be total darkness, no heat.
- Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Digital thermometer. So look for an ambient daytime temp of 75ish, with the basking area about 85. Nightime can safely drop down to 65 degrees.
- Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Exo terra hygrometer. Daytime humidtu can drop as low as 30, but shoot for a nightime humidity of up to 99%. This can be achieved with a misting system or fogger.
- Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants 1 so far. Buying more tomorrow. try to place these so he has a dense layer of foliage just below the basking branch and extending down to the bottom third of the cage; you want to allow him to hide from you if he wants.
- Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?in bedroom. Warmest room in house. Top of cage 5ft from the floor
- Location - Where are you geographically located? In the UK
Not at all preachy we are happy to learn n give bud a 5*home. We want him to thrive not just surviveYikes! That came off as pretty preachy: sorry. Welcome to the forums! I’ve been up for two days ploughing snow and my manners are clearly suffering. Congratulations on your new chameleon, and please also consider the comments of members.