New Owner with a few questions

fubekka

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums as well as to chameleon husbandry. Being as that this is my first time, and it seems that the internet is full of chameleon horror stories, I want to do everything in my power to take care of the new little guy. He's a 3 month old veiled from FLCHAMS and he's coming in the mail tomorrow.
First off, the Petsmart employee that I talked to sold me a glass exo terra terrarium that he said was perfect for chameleons. I only realized after that it was a mistake. I just ordered a 38 gallon reptarium online but it will take a week or so before it comes in the mail. Is it ok to keep the new baby in the glass enclosure for a week?
Second, do you have to purchase 3 different sizes of enclosures or can you buy the 260 gallon reptarium and modify it for use throughout it's lifecycle?
My third question is, what is the best watering system? From reading online it seems that spraying with a spray bottle will do the job for a lot less money than the humidifiers and other expensive watering equipment, and if so, for how long should you spray in the cage, can you spray the chameleon directly, and should you actually see him drinking?
Sorry for the wall of text, I would just rather get it right the first time. Thanks in advance!!

McKay

Welcome... please read...

Here are a few very important and helpful links containing lots of info you shoul read over.... best not to rely on "Petsore" advise if you want to have a happy healthy Chameleon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/basic-husbandry-38769/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/general-care-true-chameleons-5943/

Good luck... Yes, you can mist with a hand held spray bottle... mist for a few minutes a few times a day... you may or may not see your Cham drink... this is normal as long as the poop looks good (dark w/white urtates on the end) then the hydration is good.

Let us know if you have more questions.... Yes, glass enclosures are not typically recommended so get him in the screen enclosure asap... use live plants they will help w/ humidity... but make sure the plants you choose are safe ones!
:p

Save yourself some money, take back the Exoterra, and go grab a 58 quart Sterlite container from Wal Mart. This will house your new baby just fine until you get your Reptarium. You can line the bottom with paper towels and just use a fake plastic plant on the bottom, or a live Pothos that isn't too tall. You won't need a lid unless you have kids or cats. You can clip a clamp lamp on to the side for basking light and stretch the UVB fixture accross the top. What other wrong supplies did they sell you?

Hey welcome to the forums, and i agree with Gensen, also use a dripper, u can use a cup with a tiny hole that slowly drips water, place it on top of the cage, How are your lights?, supplements?, and i guess its okay to use the plexiglass, but just know it will increase the temp really fast(dehydrate your cham and possibly burn him) so use a the uvb and get a low watt basking bulb(just a regular hardware bulb like 20-40 watts)...and spray with dripper....check the temps and humidty (digitial is recommended)
hope more ppl give more info:p
Good luck and ask more questions ifr you need the help:p;):cool:

Save yourself some money, take back the Exoterra, and go grab a 58 quart Sterlite container from Wal Mart. This will house your new baby just fine until you get your Reptarium. You can line the bottom with paper towels and just use a fake plastic plant on the bottom, or a live Pothos that isn't too tall. You won't need a lid unless you have kids or cats. You can clip a clamp lamp on to the side for basking light and stretch the UVB fixture accross the top. What other wrong supplies did they sell you?

that is great idea, and fully agree:cool:

Hey everyone, thanks for the great tips! Most of the equipment I bought came in a package setup with the exo terra terrarium, so I'll have to re-buy the UVB, but I have a mister, a heat lamp, and a pothos plant for him to live on. I've also been gut loading his crickets for the last 5 days, so we should be good to go! Thanks for your help, this forum is a great resource.

Back
Top Bottom