New Owner of Chameleon - Wanting to ask for opinion, of what do you think does my Veiled Chameleon Looks healthy?

endora

Hi,
I've got my Chameleon for couple days now, i've setup him enclosure and so far it seems to work for him, i'll have to do some adjustments, new UVB lamp that i already ordered. However currently my concern is his health i was wondering does he seem like everything is alright with him? since i dont know signs, of health conditions and all that.
So if someone who's more expirienced with Chameleons Veiled in particular, could tell me what he thinks, i've tried to make best photo of him, so in hope to get as more as possible words about how he looks. I noticed some dots at his body aswell they are darker green, he doesn't his at all, only 2 time when i opened a box in which he came, he hiss at me, after that he will come to my hand when he wants, he likes to walk on my shoulder and on me in general sometimes not so much, sometimes he just wants me to take him on window (opened) where's sun shining at him i would leave him there for 15-20 min since i know they love sun, so i try everyday to do it for him.
He's eating crickets, however i thought of switching to worms or something less smelly and that requires less attention.
Any advices, also words about his health? would be awesome to know!

Also white powder at his body is calcium D3 i spray at him, cause it felt like easiest way to give him. Then i noticed i can mix it in food.. so not doing it anymore, as it also scares him..
Also i dont see him that much drinking watter, however he have very good apettite, but i try to stop at 10-12 crickets......

This is Rocky, he's around 4-5 months old, and i know his dirty however i am not sure if its okay for me to wash him in watter or do anything similar.. :D
291033322_409138844586732_6596469948247200048_n.jpg

Hi Endora,

The best way for now, to get the summarized feedback is to fill out following form, just copy paste and answer the questions. Then we can provide you with the best information.

I do think your boy is older then 4-5 months and older then 6 months (don´t his exact age) therefore, he needs to go stricter feeding schedule, to prevent obesity. But, first things first, herewith the form.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help at the forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, 6 months (I've called place where i bought him, and they say its aproxx 6 months old), since 28.06.2022
  • Handling - 1 time a day only take him to window to get some Sun, today i did not do it. However usually i do try. I open window, and it shines directly at him.
  • Feeding - Crickets so far, however they died yesterday and i feeded him and today with them i know its bad idea, however tomorrow will come new .. I feed him with around 7-12 of crickets, however yesterday ordered waxworms and new crickets ... first ones i didn't feed since they had their food, but i made mistake leaving them outside at window, and in morning to much temperature killed them.. around 300 was dead....
  • Supplements - I am only giving him Calcium + D3 that i bought from amazon its from Exo Terra its powder suplement i make crickets wet and spray a bit of suplements on them, usually i give it to him when i feed him..
  • Watering - I am having watter system and its all connected automaticly it sprays couple times a day for 40 seconds (9:30 when he wakes up before, 12:00, 2:30,6:30, 10:20 this is last spraying since after 10:30 lights turn off automaticly and then is his time for sleeping)
  • Fecal Description - I am not sure about what colors is meant here, however i never took him to any doctors or anything.
  • History - No from what i can see, he's very healthy he's not angry pet, he wants to come and he have good apettite

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - So its Screen Cage by Exo Terra its 60x45x90 i know its not the biggest cage, but i bought it since i wasn't sure i readed that this should be just fine, then learned here that and this one is a bit low for him. However if that becomes a case in future i'll probably order a new one for him, and then just get female for this one.
  • Lighting - Exo Terra Compact Top Terrarium Canopy, Single (2 LED lights for more light) Furpaw Reptile Heat Lamp with Protective Basket, E27 Heat Lamp Ceramic UVA UVB Terrarium Heat Lamp for Turtle, Snake, Lizard, Chickens, Birds, Chameleon, 100W Also this one. I didn't order before T5 as i didn't know i'll actually need it since i thought that this furpaw heat lamp is also for UVA and UVB, since it states in tittle it provides that for him aswell. However i ordered T5 Arcadia 6% 39W just waiting for it to come it says in 2 or 3 days its gonna come, so i expect it till saturday! Hope and this Furpaw Reptile is okay for that job till the another doesn't come. Also temp wise i use led lights since i dont really need heat lamps now its always warm currently in cage is 28.4c which is i guess perfect temp for him.
  • Temperature - So temp goes up to 30c during day, at night lowest i saw yesterday around 21c I have device that i put inside, and near PC got another device that shows me inside cage temp and humidity, also got temp gun that shows me aswell temps in cage.
  • Humidity - So Humidity is a bit hard for me, i am finding my ways, i've got rain machine
  • Lucky Reptile Super Rain Nano Misting System it have 2 sprayers so its nice it works couple times to get all plants and everything wet so he can also drink, but to get more humdity during day, however at night i am having for him fogger machine: Hobby 37249 Hygro System - Digitale Benebelungsanlage für Terrarien which is okay i got to say i managed yesterday to make around him while he's asleep 69,70% humidity, i'll still work things around, however i am happy, and now during day i see its around 51 since fogger is mostly working in germany during sommer air is mostly dryer alot then in some countries.
  • Plants - So far got only scheffler in cage, however ordered and golden photos, and got plan to buy Ficus Benjamin for local store when they have it on aviability, got some branches live from near my home, but rest is fake plants in cage, even i heard its not good for him, however i'll replace them with real, once i find ones that are worth since i want it to look aswell nice in cage.
  • Placement - So cage is located near my PC in room! There is not as much traffic, me sometimes walking from PC to living room, or sleeping, so most of time i am in sitting possition near him. So he always watches me from above, from ground to top of cage its 182cm, which is i guess decent.
    He's next to Cabinet so he doesn't see light or outside, since i've heard its bad for him to watch outside as much, due to possible predators that he could get afraid of. So i've decided to place him in fully hidden place where he relies on lights mostly! While sometimes i take him outside for fresh sun
  • Location - I am located In Germany, Near Stuttgart and Frankfurt (Karlsruhe zone)

Current Problem - I dont think there's any problem with my chameleon i only think he's more lazy however i see him move, and do things from time to time. Yesterday noticed light green dots all over his body while he was sleeping, probably from fogger working, it got him cold or something, however highly doubt temp went bellow 18 around him. I turn all the lights during night, actually i've made it all automatic so i dont have nothing to touch. All i have to do manually is to feed him, and thats it. My concern is mostly cause i dont know how they should look, whats good for them, and whats bad for them, does he look ok from photo i know its harder to tell just of photo, but some of you are more expirienced, and maybe can notice some things on him that are not as good. Like yesterday i noticed while he was asleep that his head had something black, and today i dont think its black anymore, so it all confuses me cause its all relatively new to me... more info i could get from you guys, will help me understand things, and how to prevent anything from happening.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Hi Endora,

The best way for now, to get the summarized feedback is to fill out following form, just copy paste and answer the questions. Then we can provide you with the best information.

I do think your boy is older then 4-5 months and older then 6 months (don´t his exact age) therefore, he needs to go stricter feeding schedule, to prevent obesity. But, first things first, herewith the form.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help at the forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, 6 months (I've called place where i bought him, and they say its aproxx 6 months old), since 28.06.2022
  • Handling - 1 time a day only take him to window to get some Sun, today i did not do it. However usually i do try. I open window, and it shines directly at him.
  • Feeding - Crickets so far, however they died yesterday and i feeded him and today with them i know its bad idea, however tomorrow will come new .. I feed him with around 7-12 of crickets, however yesterday ordered waxworms and new crickets ... first ones i didn't feed since they had their food, but i made mistake leaving them outside at window, and in morning to much temperature killed them.. around 300 was dead....
  • Supplements - I am only giving him Calcium + D3 that i bought from amazon its from Exo Terra its powder suplement i make crickets wet and spray a bit of suplements on them, usually i give it to him when i feed him..
  • Watering - I am having watter system and its all connected automaticly it sprays couple times a day for 40 seconds (9:30 when he wakes up before, 12:00, 2:30,6:30, 10:20 this is last spraying since after 10:30 lights turn off automaticly and then is his time for sleeping)
  • Fecal Description - I am not sure about what colors is meant here, however i never took him to any doctors or anything.
  • History - No from what i can see, he's very healthy he's not angry pet, he wants to come and he have good apettite

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - So its Screen Cage by Exo Terra its 60x45x90 i know its not the biggest cage, but i bought it since i wasn't sure i readed that this should be just fine, then learned here that and this one is a bit low for him. However if that becomes a case in future i'll probably order a new one for him, and then just get female for this one.
  • Lighting - Exo Terra Compact Top Terrarium Canopy, Single (2 LED lights for more light) Furpaw Reptile Heat Lamp with Protective Basket, E27 Heat Lamp Ceramic UVA UVB Terrarium Heat Lamp for Turtle, Snake, Lizard, Chickens, Birds, Chameleon, 100W Also this one. I didn't order before T5 as i didn't know i'll actually need it since i thought that this furpaw heat lamp is also for UVA and UVB, since it states in tittle it provides that for him aswell. However i ordered T5 Arcadia 6% 39W just waiting for it to come it says in 2 or 3 days its gonna come, so i expect it till saturday! Hope and this Furpaw Reptile is okay for that job till the another doesn't come. Also temp wise i use led lights since i dont really need heat lamps now its always warm currently in cage is 28.4c which is i guess perfect temp for him.
  • Temperature - So temp goes up to 30c during day, at night lowest i saw yesterday around 21c I have device that i put inside, and near PC got another device that shows me inside cage temp and humidity, also got temp gun that shows me aswell temps in cage.
  • Humidity - So Humidity is a bit hard for me, i am finding my ways, i've got rain machine
  • Lucky Reptile Super Rain Nano Misting System it have 2 sprayers so its nice it works couple times to get all plants and everything wet so he can also drink, but to get more humdity during day, however at night i am having for him fogger machine: Hobby 37249 Hygro System - Digitale Benebelungsanlage für Terrarien which is okay i got to say i managed yesterday to make around him while he's asleep 69,70% humidity, i'll still work things around, however i am happy, and now during day i see its around 51 since fogger is mostly working in germany during sommer air is mostly dryer alot then in some countries.
  • Plants - So far got only scheffler in cage, however ordered and golden photos, and got plan to buy Ficus Benjamin for local store when they have it on aviability, got some branches live from near my home, but rest is fake plants in cage, even i heard its not good for him, however i'll replace them with real, once i find ones that are worth since i want it to look aswell nice in cage.
  • Placement - So cage is located near my PC in room! There is not as much traffic, me sometimes walking from PC to living room, or sleeping, so most of time i am in sitting possition near him. So he always watches me from above, from ground to top of cage its 182cm, which is i guess decent.
    He's next to Cabinet so he doesn't see light or outside, since i've heard its bad for him to watch outside as much, due to possible predators that he could get afraid of. So i've decided to place him in fully hidden place where he relies on lights mostly! While sometimes i take him outside for fresh sun
  • Location - I am located In Germany, Near Stuttgart and Frankfurt (Karlsruhe zone)

Current Problem - I dont think there's any problem with my chameleon i only think he's more lazy however i see him move, and do things from time to time. Yesterday noticed light green dots all over his body while he was sleeping, probably from fogger working, it got him cold or something, however highly doubt temp went bellow 18 around him. I turn all the lights during night, actually i've made it all automatic so i dont have nothing to touch. All i have to do manually is to feed him, and thats it. My concern is mostly cause i dont know how they should look, whats good for them, and whats bad for them, does he look ok from photo i know its harder to tell just of photo, but some of you are more expirienced, and maybe can notice some things on him that are not as good. Like yesterday i noticed while he was asleep that his head had something black, and today i dont think its black anymore, so it all confuses me cause its all relatively new to me... more info i could get from you guys, will help me understand things, and how to prevent anything from happening.
--------------
Please Note:
292093251_1948927228632210_8388926982846746070_n.jpg
291730168_341115774876594_4956214195679751455_n.jpg
292063935_427760615919714_3733171662201907341_n.jpg
291302593_1013243752685134_1181844251940276060_n.jpg
291033322_409138844586732_6596469948247200048_n.jpg
290897518_1001908190508018_2254862709201540650_n.jpg
291526122_1277656359711365_741404700499546072_n.jpg
291082929_723329402217171_1926119905466745263_n.jpg
291950832_355858116693157_3064926737655734881_n.jpg

Beetwen later at that night was even more humdity was around 71% it gradualy came..

Also i can see and now some dots at him... however i am not sure if thats normal!

Last edited:
Thanks will respond and review it tomorrow morning. Our maybe someone else chimes in before me. Most important for now is, don’t dust the feeders anymore with the calcium plus D3, will explain tomorrow why. This could be the reason why he’s so inactive.

Thanks will respond and review it tomorrow morning. Our maybe someone else chimes in before me. Most important for now is, don’t dust the feeders anymore with the calcium plus D3, will explain tomorrow why. This could be the reason why he’s so inactive.
Okay thank you man for all help so far!!! Much appriciated!

Oh if i readed correct on internet, i should get calcium without D3, and that one lightly spray on insects? since i still dont have my UVB 6% 39W 850 Arcadia lamp, maybe its okay that i still use? till i dont get it? then get another without D3..?? or i am wrong

Yes for daily feedings you should use plain calcium without D3, like the Arcadia Earth- Pro. You also provide him direct sunlight and there’s UVB light in the enclosure, not the correct one, but one that provide have levels of UVI, without proper setup and a UV meter. Personally, I would stop the dusting till you get the new calcium and UVB light.

Yes for daily feedings you should use plain calcium without D3, like the Arcadia Earth- Pro. You also provide him direct sunlight and there’s UVB light in the enclosure, not the correct one, but one that provide have levels of UVI, without proper setup and a UV meter. Personally, I would stop the dusting till you get the new calcium and UVB light.
ahsooo so then this light is actually functional till i get actual arcadia uvb 6%? so its the same, but maybe higher levels of UVB? .. i mean its less chance he will get sick of MTB or however its called sickness, since amazon says the light will be delivered either 7-9 July... so till then i need to use this one, however i also higher as much as i could this light to prevent him from touching it.. bottom of it can be up to 400c while sides 300c i've bought meter pistol so i can check temps... on his wood and all around temps are 30c which is i guess okay.. however i still wanna replace these as i cannot sleep well knowing its wrong lol!!
Anyways thanks for return message mate, go sleep and leemme know more tomorow when u have time!

Well here we go, see my comment in red ;) and remeber: don’t worry you’re doing great and it’s a lot in the beginning, however once every is setup correctly its just feeding and enjoying and will prevent lots of problems and vet visits and will save you money.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, 6 months (I've called place where i bought him, and they say its aproxx 6 months old), since 28.06.2022 This would sound more correct, then the earlier stated 4-5 months. For the next following 3 till 6 months, he still will be growing.
  • Handling - 1 time a day only take him to window to get some Sun, today i did not do it. However usually i do try. I open window, and it shines directly at him. I would reduce this to once a week, this will be less stressful for them, because they really don’t like to be handled. Once a week real sunlight is good for their health. I put mine every weekend outside, under supervision, in a tree to absorb fresh UVB. Here’s an interesting blog about building trust with your chameleon: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - Crickets so far, however they died yesterday and i feeded him and today with them i know its bad idea, however tomorrow will come new .. I feed him with around 7-12 of crickets, however yesterday ordered waxworms and new crickets ... first ones i didn't feed since they had their food, but i made mistake leaving them outside at window, and in morning to much temperature killed them.. around 300 was dead.... Key for an healthy cham is variation in feeders. In Germany you can find lots of different feeders. Waxworms are healthiest feeders, because they obtain a lot of fat. You can best keep them in their container and put the container on top of the enclosure and within a few weeks they pop into moths, this is real treat for your cham. Following a sheet with good feeders and how to feed (gut load) your feeders. AND NOW REALLY IMPORTANT IS TO CUT BACK THE FEEDING TO EACH OTHER DAY FOR MAX 5 FEEDERS PER TIME. FROM >6 MONTHS THIS IS IMPORTANT TO CONTROL THEIR WEIGHT AND PREVENT OBESITY.
78151148-C91C-4E2E-B05E-CF62DB773363.jpeg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

• Supplements - I am only giving him Calcium + D3 that i bought from amazon its from Exo Terra its powder suplement i make crickets wet and spray a bit of suplements on them, usually i give it to him when i feed him. You need 3 types of supplements, as following:
Calcium without D3 – for regular feedings
Calcium with D3 – for once per 2 weeks (say first and third Saturday of the month)
Multivitamin – for once per 2 weeks alternated Cal+D3 (say second and fourth Saturday of the month)
Just powder the feeders slightly without wetting them.

• Watering - I am having watter system and its all connected automaticly it sprays couple times a day for 40 seconds (9:30 when he wakes up before, 12:00, 2:30,6:30, 10:20 this is last spraying since after 10:30 lights turn off automaticly and then is his time for sleeping) Most of us follow the following routine for lighting, misting and fogging. Meaning light cycle of 12 hours, from 07.00am till 07.00pm, misting just before lights go on for 1 a 2 minutes and just before lights off for 1 a 2 minutes. Then fogging starts at 11.00pm till 06.00am for 15 minutes each hour. The fogger is perfect, I got the same and try to figure out his sweet spot for sleeping, that’s where you wanna aim the fogger tube. Once you have this routine and setup, you want have to be bothering with humidity. I’m doing this with the free range chams and works perfect.
  • Screenshot 2022-07-06 090608.jpg

• Fecal Description - I am not sure about what colors is meant here, however i never took him to any doctors or anything. The color indicates its hydration level, white urate is hydrated, a bit of yellow or orange crystals with white is still hydrated, orange urate is dehydrated. Runny fecal could indicate parasites or when fed only worms this could the reason. This is how a healthy fecal looks like. And doing a fecal test for parasites always recommended.
  • what.jpg

• History - No from what i can see, he's very healthy he's not angry pet, he wants to come and he have good apettite.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - So its Screen Cage by Exo Terra its 60x45x90 i know its not the biggest cage, but i bought it since i wasn't sure i readed that this should be just fine, then learned here that and this one is a bit low for him. However if that becomes a case in future i'll probably order a new one for him, and then just get female for this one. We spoke about this, you’ll need a larger enclosure in the near future. If you wanna reuse this enclosure, check for smaller chameleons, because with a female veiled you’ve the same issue.
  • Lighting - Exo Terra Compact Top Terrarium Canopy, Single (2 LED lights for more light) Furpaw Reptile Heat Lamp with Protective Basket, E27 Heat Lamp Ceramic UVA UVB Terrarium Heat Lamp for Turtle, Snake, Lizard, Chickens, Birds, Chameleon, 100W Also this one. I didn't order before T5 as i didn't know i'll actually need it since i thought that this furpaw heat lamp is also for UVA and UVB, since it states in tittle it provides that for him aswell. However i ordered T5 Arcadia 6% 39W just waiting for it to come it says in 2 or 3 days its gonna come, so i expect it till saturday! Hope and this Furpaw Reptile is okay for that job till the another doesn't come. Also temp wise i use led lights since i dont really need heat lamps now its always warm currently in cage is 28.4c which is i guess perfect temp for him. You need to ditch the Furpaw, these kind of lights are really dangerous without a UV meter, because they can produce massive amounts of UVB, which will overdose your cham. Once your arcadia comes in, you need to make sure that the distance from the back of your cham till the UVB light is around 15 cm.
  • Screenshot 2022-07-06 090521.jpg

• Temperature - So temp goes up to 30c during day, at night lowest i saw yesterday around 21c I have device that i put inside, and near PC got another device that shows me inside cage temp and humidity, also got temp gun that shows me aswell temps in cage. This is okay
  • Lucky Reptile Super Rain Nano Misting System it have 2 sprayers so its nice it works couple times to get all plants and everything wet so he can also drink, but to get more humdity during day, however at night i am having for him fogger machine: Hobby 37249 Hygro System - Digitale Benebelungsanlage für Terrarien which is okay i got to say i managed yesterday to make around him while he's asleep 69,70% humidity, i'll still work things around, however i am happy, and now during day i see its around 51 since fogger is mostly working in germany during sommer air is mostly dryer alot then in some countries. See above
  • Plants - So far got only scheffler in cage, however ordered and golden photos, and got plan to buy Ficus Benjamin for local store when they have it on aviability, got some branches live from near my home, but rest is fake plants in cage, even i heard its not good for him, however i'll replace them with real, once i find ones that are worth since i want it to look aswell nice in cage. Best to take all fakes out and place them on the outside for extra privacy. I would buy one our Pothos, they’re cheap in Germany €10 to 20 and are big you can place them inside, these plants also have vines, which your cham can use. They’ll eventually eat from the fake plants, which can cause impaction for them, really dangerous.
  • CB6A1CC4-F0C8-409E-8A56-E415031F5BDB.jpeg

He's next to Cabinet so he doesn't see light or outside, since i've heard its bad for him to watch outside as much, due to possible predators that he could get afraid of. So i've decided to place him in fully hidden place where he relies on lights mostly! While sometimes i take him outside for fresh sun You’re good with this.

Current Problem - I dont think there's any problem with my chameleon i only think he's more lazy however i see him move, and do things from time to time. Yesterday noticed light green dots all over his body while he was sleeping, probably from fogger working, it got him cold or something, however highly doubt temp went bellow 18 around him. Dots are normal and will become more noticeable when maturing.I turn all the lights during night, actually i've made it all automatic so i dont have nothing to touch. All i have to do manually is to feed him, and thats it. My concern is mostly cause i dont know how they should look, whats good for them, and whats bad for them, does he look ok from photo i know its harder to tell just of photo, but some of you are more expirienced, and maybe can notice some things on him that are not as good. Like yesterday i noticed while he was asleep that his head had something black, and today i dont think its black anymore, so it all confuses me cause its all relatively new to me... more info i could get from you guys, will help me understand things, and how to prevent anything from happening.

Hopefully, I didn’t miss anything, maybe @Beman or @MissSkittles got some extra input. Here you find all the information:
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - So its Screen Cage by Exo Terra its 60x45x90 i know its not the biggest cage, but i bought it since i wasn't sure i readed that this should be just fine, then learned here that and this one is a bit low for him. However if that becomes a case in future i'll probably order a new one for him, and then just get female for this one. We spoke about this, you’ll need a larger enclosure in the near future. If you wanna reuse this enclosure, check for smaller chameleons, because with a female veiled you’ve the same issue.
  • Lighting - Exo Terra Compact Top Terrarium Canopy, Single (2 LED lights for more light) Furpaw Reptile Heat Lamp with Protective Basket, E27 Heat Lamp Ceramic UVA UVB Terrarium Heat Lamp for Turtle, Snake, Lizard, Chickens, Birds, Chameleon, 100W Also this one. I didn't order before T5 as i didn't know i'll actually need it since i thought that this furpaw heat lamp is also for UVA and UVB, since it states in tittle it provides that for him aswell. However i ordered T5 Arcadia 6% 39W just waiting for it to come it says in 2 or 3 days its gonna come, so i expect it till saturday! Hope and this Furpaw Reptile is okay for that job till the another doesn't come. Also temp wise i use led lights since i dont really need heat lamps now its always warm currently in cage is 28.4c which is i guess perfect temp for him. You need to ditch the Furpaw, these kind of lights are really dangerous without a UV meter, because they can produce massive amounts of UVB, which will overdose your cham. Once your arcadia comes in, you need to make sure that the distance from the back of your cham till the UVB light is around 15 cm.
  • View attachment 326316
  • Temperature - So temp goes up to 30c during day, at night lowest i saw yesterday around 21c I have device that i put inside, and near PC got another device that shows me inside cage temp and humidity, also got temp gun that shows me aswell temps in cage. This is okay
  • Lucky Reptile Super Rain Nano Misting System it have 2 sprayers so its nice it works couple times to get all plants and everything wet so he can also drink, but to get more humdity during day, however at night i am having for him fogger machine: Hobby 37249 Hygro System - Digitale Benebelungsanlage für Terrarien which is okay i got to say i managed yesterday to make around him while he's asleep 69,70% humidity, i'll still work things around, however i am happy, and now during day i see its around 51 since fogger is mostly working in germany during sommer air is mostly dryer alot then in some countries. See above
  • Plants - So far got only scheffler in cage, however ordered and golden photos, and got plan to buy Ficus Benjamin for local store when they have it on aviability, got some branches live from near my home, but rest is fake plants in cage, even i heard its not good for him, however i'll replace them with real, once i find ones that are worth since i want it to look aswell nice in cage. Best to take all fakes out and place them on the outside for extra privacy. I would buy one our Pothos, they’re cheap in Germany €10 to 20 and are big you can place them inside, these plants also have vines, which your cham can use. They’ll eventually eat from the fake plants, which can cause impaction for them, really dangerous.
  • View attachment 326315
    He's next to Cabinet so he doesn't see light or outside, since i've heard its bad for him to watch outside as much, due to possible predators that he could get afraid of. So i've decided to place him in fully hidden place where he relies on lights mostly! While sometimes i take him outside for fresh sun You’re good with this.

Current Problem - I dont think there's any problem with my chameleon i only think he's more lazy however i see him move, and do things from time to time. Yesterday noticed light green dots all over his body while he was sleeping, probably from fogger working, it got him cold or something, however highly doubt temp went bellow 18 around him. Dots are normal and will become more noticeable when maturing.I turn all the lights during night, actually i've made it all automatic so i dont have nothing to touch. All i have to do manually is to feed him, and thats it. My concern is mostly cause i dont know how they should look, whats good for them, and whats bad for them, does he look ok from photo i know its harder to tell just of photo, but some of you are more expirienced, and maybe can notice some things on him that are not as good. Like yesterday i noticed while he was asleep that his head had something black, and today i dont think its black anymore, so it all confuses me cause its all relatively new to me... more info i could get from you guys, will help me understand things, and how to prevent anything from happening.

Hopefully, I didn’t miss anything, maybe @Beman or @MissSkittles got some extra input. Here you find all the information:
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

My reaction didn't color red, therefore see above, that would be easier

Hi and welcome! :) @Sonny13 has given you lots of great advice. I think it was a typo, but waxworms aren’t good for staple feeders because they are very fatty. They are great treats and letting them turn into moths will add some fun for your chameleon to catch them. Black fly soldier larvae (bsfl) will also turn into flies for added chameleon hunting fun. It is important to keep whatever insects you are using as healthy as possible so that they will be more nutritious. I keep mine well fed with fresh greens (turnip, mustard, dandelion, collard), various squashes, bell pepper, carrot and small bits of blueberry, raspberry, apple or orange. I also use Repashy Bug Burger and add bee pollen and spirulina to it. With crickets it’s also important to keep their bin clean. The gasses from their own waste can kill them. Roaches are great feeders and much cleaner than crickets. Having a good variety of staple feeders is best.
Ideal daytime humidity is between 30-50%, which is around the level that we are comfortable too. High heat plus high humidity increases the risk for respiratory infection.
Definitely you’ll want to add more branches or vines for your chameleon to travel on. It can be a challenge to attach them, but with some creativity it can be done. Many use garden trellis which is quite easy and can look nice. You’ll want to have the frame of your enclosure carry the weight, so attach the trellis or whatever you use to the frame and not the screen.
As Sonny13 has said, pothos is an excellent plant for chameleons. As the vines grow, you can wrap/drape them around branches and create a lovely little jungle for your guy. Chameleons do like to have some spots to hide and get shade so make sure to provide some.
You will notice several changes in your chameleon’s colors and patterns depending on his mood and temperature. When he is cold and trying to warm up or absorb uvb and heat, he may be darker. If he is stressed his colors may brighten way up and he’ll puff out to show you just how big and scary (gorgeous) he can be. When asleep, his colors will be close to his excited colors. Veileds have an assortment of colors - green, teal, orange, yellow, black, white - in spots, bars, lines, etc. The colors that I see in your pics are normal relaxed colors.
Do check the links that Sonny13 provided for great info and learning more. Reading forum posts and asking questions is also a great way to learn more…plus we love hearing more voices and perspectives. 💗

Congrats on your new boy! Everyone has gone thru husbandry so i wont address other than to say you need to add more climbing apparatus. Also if you are going to add worms to your cricket regaim glue the biwl down to a rock so it wont go flying and set it up at the same place for his confidence. He looks to be about 7 1\2 months to me and ready to molt which will alter eating patterns and mood. Also light thru a window pane will not let him get the benefits of sun. Screen.yes. you might want to add lettuce or collard greens for hydration snd vit a and k. Veileds eat green leafy lettuces which is why all fake plants a no no.

Thank you all for submitting your helps. I'll definetely stick this post as note in my browser, so i can always check it out and improve things within time. This is definetely gonna help me improve my cage, plants, feeding, lights. However my additional concerns is possition of fogger , i've put it behind up, hope that possition is still fine? Didn't find nowhere the exact location where it should be located.
The rest i understood, and i hope i'll be getting better things for him, aswell ordered calcium https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00O4B0G3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can someone of you just let me know if its any good, it doesn't have any D3 inside
biggest thanks to @Sonny13 that all was very detailed explained, thanks for your time and dedication to help me out with helping my pet.
Also to @MissSkittles & @MzLaurie11 for pointing out things that should be improved and better done!

I appriciate you all!! :))))

However my additional concerns is possition of fogger , i've put it behind up, hope that possition is still fine? Didn't find nowhere the exact location where it should be located.
In general chameleons have favorite sleeping spot. This is where you should position the fogger tube, so the fog cloud comes down right above him, this way he’s breathing constantly the moist air which helps them staying better hydrated. The fogger itself doesn’t matter, however be careful with those harmonica tubes, they can retain water, which can lead to bacteria grow when positioned the wrong way. Always try to let the water run back into the fogger.

Back
Top Bottom