New owner of a Veiled chameleon...

Bigskny1

Hello everyone. Today I purchased a juvenile Veiled Chameleon and am new to the forum. My wife and I decided to buy one around christmas time so I started researching and reading a lot of helpful information about chameleons. This is my first one so for the past couple of weeks I tried to learn as much as possible.

I will try to get some pictures of "Paco" and the habitat that I built from scratch last week.

Hello and Welcome. I just got my male veiled chameleon last Wednesday. Mine is 11 months old. Not my first, but my first in quite a few years. I also made mine his own enclosure. Actually I will be free ranging him, once he gets accustomed to his cage being his home base.:D

Hello!! And welcome to our lovely community:D congrats on your new little one:D

Since you are new to the forums and chameleons in general, if you fill out the how to ask for help form we can help you perfect your setup and make your little one happy and healthy:) it is located in he health clinic. :)

Several of the members on here have great care sheets, I would link them for you but I can't from my phone, so if no one else does I'll do that for you later:)

Once again, welcome!! And we would love to see pics!!

Thanks. I will be sure to fill out that info. I'm going to post some pics tomorrow. Just put in a couple of crickets. Very cool watching him eat.

Hello and first of all I just want to say welcome to the forums!
Congratulations on you and your wife for getting a chameleon. I'm still a little new around here and to chameleons but my chameleon comes in on Wednesday and I can't tell you how excited I am. Mine is also a veiled chameleon. He is 5 months from what the breeder has told me. I can't wait to see pictures of your chameleon. Once again, welcome to the forums and trust me you are going to love it here. Everyone is so nice and helpful around here. If you stick around, you will learn so much that you might not possibly be able to handle :p
Good luck!!

Thanks for all the welcomes and positive advice.
Just got our ficus tree in today going to set that up and snap some pics. Hopefully it helps bring the humidity up.

ok guys.... just tried to get him out and he is hissing and trying to bite.. I'm guessing this is normal? how often do you handle them before they get use to you?

ok guys just tried to handle him and he is hissing and trying to bite... i'm guessing this is normal? how often do you have to handle them before they get use to you?

I haven't read all of this thread (I'm supposed to be doing an assignment...:rolleyes:) but y'know.....other people can post this up too......just sayin' :D https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Sorry David, but I always read through the entire thread to see if you have given this link yet :p. Now GET BACK TO WORK!!! :mad:

Welcome to the forums Bigskny1! Cant wait to see your new addition. Tons of info here and tons of knowledge, so good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions! (and definitely don't hesitate to add pictures ;))

getting anxious to hold him and I try to put my hand in slow and let him craw onto my finger but he turns some pretty crazy colors, starts hissing and trying to bite. Should I just give him some time to calm down or am I going to have a cham that just doesn't like to be bothered? I know they really don't like being held but I see all these pics of people on here holding theres and get jealous lol.

getting anxious to hold him and I try to put my hand in slow and let him craw onto my finger but he turns some pretty crazy colors, starts hissing and trying to bite. Should I just give him some time to calm down or am I going to have a cham that just doesn't like to be bothered? I know they really don't like being held but I see all these pics of people on here holding theres and get jealous lol.

You definitely want to let your new baby get settled in! This can take a week or more sometimes. Remember to move very slowly, do not do too many modifications to his environment for a while, and remember that you most likely seem like a threat to him. He is doing what comes naturally! After the initial settling period, you can try to hand feed him, or just make sure he knows you are the source of the yummy food! This should help ease the transition, and may just make you seem less of a threat. Whatever you do, don't force it! this will make it even worse. Patience and persistence are the key. :)

Thanks for the info. I got some tongs the other night and have tried that but he just moves away, he has no problem eating. I put about 10 crickets in there this morning, came home for lunch and saw one left.

Here are some pics of Paco and his home...

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 110
One other suggestion to help Paco feel more secure is to add a bit more foliage to his enclosure. (At the top portion) This will also help him escape the basking spot if he decides to ;).

That was weird! I only saw the first pic when I read the post. Now there are more :eek::confused::eek:. I take that last post back about adding more... looks nice! He'll get settled in soon ;).

Back
Top Bottom