New member starting from scratch

I have it narrowed down to buying a Dragon Strand enclosure. My house has central A/C and the temp is around 70 degrees all year long with around 50% humidity. Is it better to get the full screen enclosure or the clearside enclosure with only one side screened to keep the humidity high? I plan on using a mist king misting system.
So I have a dragonstrand clear side... This totally depends on your natural humidity level in your house. I happen to live where I have high humidity year round. I actually run a de humidifier year round due to this. It keeps my house humidity down to about 40% and in my enclosure with all the live plants it sits about 47% during the day. Which is a good day level for a Panther. You want to shoot for that 40-50% range in the day. Then fog at night for higher humidity. I do a reduced misting schedule as well.

I really like the clearside... Not only does it maintain a humidity level but then you do not have to modify it for overspray.

Here is a really great podcast by Bill strand on natural hydration. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

Here is my build link to Beman's enclosure. If you set it up right with the ledges you are golden so don't make my mistakes. :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-side-aka-bemans-mansion.167884/#post-1459296

The first thing you should do is plan on where the second cage is going to go as this is addicting. hahah jk......or am I? @Beman

In all seriousness. Not in any order and some of what I use.

1. Cage - Should be 24x24x48 screen cage for a male. Dragon strand is nice but nothing wrong with zoo med or exo terra. all my cages are exo terra. There are people who use glass but that is very dependent on humidity in your area.

2.Heat Light will need a typical clamp lamp or similar reptile lamp for heating with a standard house 65w bulb. Get a temp gun to help here

3. t5 fixture with reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% (preferred) Personally I purchased the reptisun fixture that came with a bulb and replaced it with Arcadia when it was due.

4. Mister - Mistking or climist > Monsoon > reptirain > all else haha Personally I use Monsoon and will swap for mistking when they break. That said they have been going for a year with no problems.

5. Plants - great place to start is a pothos or umbrella plant. Easy to keep alive. Also fake plants if needed and lots of branches for horizontal walking.

6. Source for feeders which can be online or your favorite pet store. Petco and Petsmart also some of this but they are pricy and total jerks.

7. Timers for all your lights unless you want to do this by hand but keep in mind its 12hrs on and 12hrs off. No exceptions

8. supplements. Repticalcium with out d3 and one with d3. Multivitmin. Or you can use repashy brand which is a sort of all in one but some people will argue its not good.

9. gut load can be home made but I find cricket crack and repashy bug burger are very good and do a great job for someone like me that doesn't want to make my own.

10. Consider a drainage setup for all the water that will be misting/dripping in the cage or be prepared empty the bottom tray quite often. a wet vac works well for this.

There are a ton of little things along the way but you will build up as you go. Just keep asking questions and read as much as you can. I learn new things every day and I use the search bar on here all the time. Sounds crazy but I look for the horror stories so I know what to avoid.

The first thing you should do is plan on where the second cage is going to go as this is addicting. hahah jk......or am I? @Beman

In all seriousness. Not in any order and some of what I use.

1. Cage - Should be 24x24x48 screen cage for a male. Dragon strand is nice but nothing wrong with zoo med or exo terra. all my cages are exo terra. There are people who use glass but that is very dependent on humidity in your area.

2.Heat Light will need a typical clamp lamp or similar reptile lamp for heating with a standard house 65w bulb. Get a temp gun to help here

3. t5 fixture with reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% (preferred) Personally I purchased the reptisun fixture that came with a bulb and replaced it with Arcadia when it was due.

4. Mister - Mistking or climist > Monsoon > reptirain > all else haha Personally I use Monsoon and will swap for mistking when they break. That said they have been going for a year with no problems.

5. Plants - great place to start is a pothos or umbrella plant. Easy to keep alive. Also fake plants if needed and lots of branches for horizontal walking.

6. Source for feeders which can be online or your favorite pet store. Petco and Petsmart also some of this but they are pricy and total jerks.

7. Timers for all your lights unless you want to do this by hand but keep in mind its 12hrs on and 12hrs off. No exceptions

8. supplements. Repticalcium with out d3 and one with d3. Multivitmin. Or you can use repashy brand which is a sort of all in one but some people will argue its not good.

9. gut load can be home made but I find cricket crack and repashy bug burger are very good and do a great job for someone like me that doesn't want to make my own.

10. Consider a drainage setup for all the water that will be misting/dripping in the cage or be prepared empty the bottom tray quite often. a wet vac works well for this.

There are a ton of little things along the way but you will build up as you go. Just keep asking questions and read as much as you can. I learn new things every day and I use the search bar on here all the time. Sounds crazy but I look for the horror stories so I know what to avoid.
Yes proper cage placement is important.... That mistking tubing is not good crossing the room. you need a long wall with multiple enclosure possibilities :hilarious:

• dragonstrand enclosure
  • mistking system
  • schefflera arboricola or amate/ficus benjamina or alii
  • LOTS of branches (I prefer manzanita)
  • repashy calcium plus LoD
  • arcadia bulb of the appropriate percentage for the species
  • dual fixture to hold a plant bulb as well
  • cricket crack gutload
  • R/O filtration system
  • bioactive supplies (ABG substrate, springtails, isopods)
  • nationwide pet health insurance (~$9/month)
  • solarmeter for UVI testing
  • infrared thermometer
  • reliable hygrometer
  • list of chameleon-experienced vets in your area
yoooo the pet health insurance tip! Yes! Also the rest this is really perfect. I had a reptibreeze enclosure temporarily and it was actually surprising how much it sucked. Never using anything but dragonstrand again.

LOL, that does sound exactly like me though. But for now I'll keep taking baby steps.

I've decided on the Dragon Strand clearside enclosures. Is the 24X24X48 large clearside enclosure big enough for a panther chameleon? Or should I go for the medium or large clearside atrium enclosure. The medium is only 18" deep and the large is 22" deap. I know bigger is always better but not always necessary. I just want to start out with a happy chameleon and not waste money on a incorrect size enclosure for the type of chameleon I get.

ps. I also plan on getting the drip-easy drainage tray option as well.

LOL, that does sound exactly like me though. But for now I'll keep taking baby steps.

I've decided on the Dragon Strand clearside enclosures. Is the 24X24X48 large clearside enclosure big enough for a panther chameleon? Or should I go for the medium or large clearside atrium enclosure. The medium is only 18" deep and the large is 22" deap. I know bigger is always better but not always necessary. I just want to start out with a happy chameleon and not waste money on a incorrect size enclosure for the type of chameleon I get.

ps. I also plan on getting the drip-easy drainage tray option as well.
Your going to be fine with the large clearside. You will love the drip easy pan... Just be aware that it will not hold the weight of plants on the bottom. So you will be anchoring all the plants to the dragon ledges.

So these come with the left and top panel screen... so you find a wall that will eventually accommodate 2 cages. Then when you need to get the second cage you let Bill know that you want the right and top panel to be screen on this one so you can have them clear side to clearside with a divider in between... Just helping you with your future planning lol.

Your going to be fine with the large clearside. You will love the drip easy pan... Just be aware that it will not hold the weight of plants on the bottom. So you will be anchoring all the plants to the dragon ledges.

So these come with the left and top panel screen... so you find a wall that will eventually accommodate 2 cages. Then when you need to get the second cage you let Bill know that you want the right and top panel to be screen on this one so you can have them clear side to clearside with a divider in between... Just helping you with your future planning lol.

yes, I plan on doing something like what Rlc1994 did in this thread with the expandable foam https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/show-me-your-enclosures.169718/page-3

yes, I plan on doing something like what Rlc1994 did in this thread with the expandable foam https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/show-me-your-enclosures.169718/page-3
Oh and FYI... He has a Medium TALL Atrium... It just is not on the website yet. This is what I have Beman in... It is a combo between the large standard that you ordered with the same height and depth but it has the Medium Atrium's width at 30 inches. It works great for Beman since is is constantly active exploring everywhere. I did order the standard clearside for my Nosy Be though. I do not have it yet. Basically I loose 6 inches of width but I am thinking that will be just fine.

That thread you mentioned was how I came up with going to the beach and finding driftwood as well. I happen to live where there is a ton of it and hauled back a mini forest :p

Oh and FYI... He has a Medium TALL Atrium... It just is not on the website yet. This is what I have Beman in... It is a combo between the large standard that you ordered with the same height and depth but it has the Medium Atrium's width at 30 inches. It works great for Beman since is is constantly active exploring everywhere. I did order the standard clearside for my Nosy Be though. I do not have it yet. Basically I loose 6 inches of width but I am thinking that will be just fine.

Great, now I find out there are secret enclosures sort of like the Wendy's 9-patty T-Rex burger that you have to know somebody who knows somebody who knows someone who works for the secret development department. LOL

Great, now I find out there are secret enclosures sort of like the Wendy's 9-patty T-Rex burger that you have to know somebody who knows somebody who knows someone who works for the secret development department. LOL
LOL don't ya know it is all about who you know not what you know. :hilarious:
If you are interested in that one just email him... I am not sure when he is doing another build for them.

ok, I'm starting to get my shopping list together but have a few questions. This will be for a male ambilobe panther chameleon.

I'm going to get the Dragon Strand 30x24x48 medium tall clearside with the drainage tray. I also talked to Jim and he will be making these again in August.
I plan on pluming a connector to have the tray drain into a bucket.

I'm looking at the Mistking 4th gerneration starter misting system for $129.00 This comes with one nozzle. Is that enough or should I get a different kit or add-ons?

for the light fixture. I'd like to get a 30" light to match the width of the enclosure. Should I get a 4 bulb fixture? I see some people have 1 arcadia bulb, 1 plant bulb, and 2 regular full spectrum light bulbs. Others seem like they only have 1 or 2 bulbs.

heat light, 65w bulb that lays on the top of the cage pointing down. I see some users using a dual bulb fixture. Not sure the differences in some setups I've seen online.

plants, I will be mounting the pots to the dragon ledges. Seems like I need a umbrella plant and ficus on the bottom. And pothos plant and another that hangs down on top.

Sticks are easy enough to get. But for the vines. What fake vines should I get that are good for them. I've seen threads about some scratching their eyes.

feeder cup. I planned on getting the magnetic camo feeder cup, but the shooting gallery looks cool. but my enclosure also only has one screened side to it.

Feeders, I do plan on raising some of my own, such as silks and dubia's and buying others such as crickets, hornworms and superworms.

supplements, repticalcium without d3 and one with d3. Do most use the all in one multivitamin?

I'd like to get two combo thermometer/hygrometer for the enclosure. One mounted by the basking branch and the other about halfway down the plants in the shade/hiding places.

For the nighttime. Is just turning off the lights enough? I see some pics of people having drapes/sheets against their enclosures to keep out the light.

I'd like to have most of the lights and misting on a timer/schedule so that my little guy gets used to the everyday schedule of things.

Back
Top Bottom