New Member Question

Mrd916

Just joined and searched around this forum and it's really great. My question is I am looking at purchasing a 6 month to 1 yr old male panther and I wanted to know if it's possible to keep his cage outside on my open air front porch. It gets filtered sun and I live in St Pete, Fl. Temps here are around 90 and humidity is high. Obviously I would move him indoors when winter hits. We use our porch so much it would nice to have him out there to enjoy viewing him. Any help is greatly appreciated. Will try and post a pic of what porch looks like when sun is out to make sure it isn't too much sun. Thanks, Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 113
As long as he has plenty of shaded places to get out of the sun when needed, and is misted regularly he should be fine on your porch. There are A LOT of chameleon keepers in your area that keep their chams outdoors most of the year.

You looted that pic from an advertisement, admit it.:D If that is your backyard, forget the cham, enjoy the yard. It will work just fine, but since it is covered, an outdoor steel fan could help on the 90°f days.

@Junglefries, haha thanks for the compliment. Yes it's my yard and we are out there all the time. That is why I want him out there. So a misting system is a must for outdoor chams? I haven't owned a Cham in 12 years and I always just used a dripper with my Nosy Be but he was moldy inside all the time. Thanks for helping me guys

As beautiful as it is, I wouldn't recommend having your cham outside on that porch. My reason is that if a strong wind gust were to knock over the cage your little guy could escape. If your porch was screened in, you could have him out there and he would still be enclosed even if the screen was knocked over. You also have to think about the wildlife - birds of prey will notice your cham, and make attempts to have him for supper. Lastly, depending on how close you are to the road, someone might see him and think that they needed to steal him.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I'm all for having your chams outside enjoying the beautiful weather that we're so lucky to have, but I'd make sure that I was always out there supervising things. There are entirely too many threads on here about people losing their chams outside, or to predators.

I didn't even think about the wind, it gets pretty windy at night out there and he could def get blown over. Thanks for the reminder. Oh well, I can always take his cage out there when we are having dinner and enjoy him.

As beautiful as it is, I wouldn't recommend having your cham outside on that porch. My reason is that if a strong wind gust were to knock over the cage your little guy could escape. If your porch was screened in, you could have him out there and he would still be enclosed even if the screen was knocked over. You also have to think about the wildlife - birds of prey will notice your cham, and make attempts to have him for supper. Lastly, depending on how close you are to the road, someone might see him and think that they needed to steal him.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I'm all for having your chams outside enjoying the beautiful weather that we're so lucky to have, but I'd make sure that I was always out there supervising things. There are entirely too many threads on here about people losing their chams outside, or to predators.

I agree that precautions must be taken, but I do not see a problem keeping them outdoors if set up properly. That being said, I would recommend having an indoor cage that you could move him to when you are not around, at night, or during bad weather.

As for the misting system, I believe that it is a must, though others may not agree. I still think that having a dripper is a good idea, but the mister will not only help keep your cham hydrated, but will also help to cool his environment and keep him from overheating.

Welcome to the forums. I live in FL also and the sun get pretty intense here....not like it is on the west coast of the US. I can only take my chameleons out a few hours in the early morning and another hour or so in the evening in the summer. We have been scorching hot this month. My daughter lived in Tampa for 6 years when she was in college there and she keep all of her chams inside except for a little outside time once in awhile. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers and it has links to pictures of what all you will need to get set up for a chameleon and where you can buy each item. Most chameleon supplies can not be found in local pet stores. Post plenty of pictures when you get your guy. BTW where do you plan to purchase him?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

I have been searching the classifieds here and have found a couple that fit my criteria. I keep going back and forth on blue bar Amibole or the red bar one. I'm looking at needing a bigger one cause I want to go with the 24x24x48 set up. I was all set to buy the setup from my local reptile store and buying my chameleon this week but I don't think my local place has everything I need for complete setup. I know they don't carry the plastic tray that goes on bottom of reptarium to prevent water everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom