New Member/ New Owner

do I place the basking lamp in one area and the uvb bulb in another?

I would … many of us feel that chameleons regulate UVB just like they do heat. So if the cham wants UV but not heat, and both bulbs are very close to one another then you aren’t giving the cham much choice and choices such as that, heat gradients, different feeders, etc. are one of the keys to keeping the cham healthy/happy.

-roo

Ok, so I buy a 24 inch reptiglo 5.0 to cover the whole top of the cage for my uvb?

I found some stuff in petsmart 2.1 calcuim/phosporous, could that be sprinkled on crickets?

And put my basking lamp at the highest branch and look for temps 90-100 degress?

I haven't set up a drip system yet could I just poke a hole in a cup for now, water twice a day, mist 3-5, and feed in the morning?

A good temp range in the cage should be around 70-90 degrees. It also depends on the age of your cham. Younger chams should have a lower high temp.

As for the calcium supplement that you mentioned, don't get that. You want something that is phosphorus free. Most of us are using rep-cal supplemments. You want pure calcium and maybe one with calcium with D3. Also get the multivitamins from rep cal.

Ok, so I buy a 24 inch reptiglo 5.0 to cover the whole top of the cage for my uvb?

This sounds like the best bet. Just be sure that the lower part of the cage has plenty of foliage so that if your cham wants to get out of the UVB light, he can

I found some stuff in petsmart 2.1 calcuim/phosporous, could that be sprinkled on crickets?

You definitely do want to supplement your crickets with calcium but you need to buy the kind that is calcium only.. no D3 and no phosphorus. Crickets already have a large amount of phosphorus and adding more interrrupts the cham's calcium absorption.

And put my basking lamp at the highest branch and look for temps 90-100 degress?

You want you cham to be able to sit under the basking light and not run the risk of being burnt. The top of his casque should be 5 or 6 inches from the bulb, at least. 90 - 95 degrees is good for a veiled. To achieve the right temperature without the burn risk you will have to experiment with bulb wattages and distances. With my veileds, I just screw a cup hook into the shelf above their cages and hang the basking light from that. Then you can move it up or down depending on what temperature you need.

I haven't set up a drip system yet could I just poke a hole in a cup for now, water twice a day, mist 3-5, and feed in the morning?

Yep, the hole in the cup method works well. Make sure that you are washing the cup out daily though, or add a lid with a pin hole in it also. Misting 3 - 5 times a day is good but make sure that you are giving him a pretty long misting session with plenty of time for the cage to COMPLETELY dry out between each one. Otherwise, you will end up with a moldy, bacteria filled enclosure. I personally feed my chams in the afternoon when they have had a chance to wake up and warm up.

Also, did you get a screened enclosure for your cham? The glass aquarium will overheat very quickly and doesn't allow for the proper airflow that chameleons need for optimum health. This is a very important detail that must not be overlooked.

I think that the reptisun 5.0 would be a much better choice for a UVB source. Most keepers use them.

-roo

I'm in petsmart by the way is why I'm asking all these questions, so I get the phoso free rep-cal with calcuim and vit d3 ultra fine powder and the herpivite multivitamin from re-cal? Man this is the greatest forum I have ever been on. Thanks for the help

For sure get the calcium one. As for the one with D3, some people use it some don't. I use it 2 times a week. Be careful with it because you can cause an overdose with your cham. Get the multivitamin and use it only once every two weeks. If they have the reptisun bulb like roo mentioned, I'd go with that. Sometimes petsmart has and most of the time they carry repti glo. But Reptisun is better.

For sure get the calcium one. As for the one with D3, some people use it some don't.

Maybe I'm having a dumb-ass moment but isnt the "calcium one" he mentioned have the D3? Are you refering to the vitamin supp or you refering to the calcium supp without the D3?

I suspect he's on wireless ... most likely a smart phone.

-roo

He's most likely looking at the calcium supplement with D3 included. I bought mine at petsmart and that's all they had. But rep-cal does make one without D3. I use the one without D3 about three times a week since I've been taking my cham outside lately.

He's most likely looking at the calcium supplement with D3 included. I bought mine at petsmart and that's all they had. But rep-cal does make one without D3. I use the one without D3 about three times a week since I've been taking my cham outside lately.

Right, but I think your "some people use it some people dont" comment will confuse him and I think he isnt planning on taking he cham outside at this time so he needs the calcium supp with D3.

-roo

I agree. The one with the D3 is the most important at the time. I just hope he knows not to over do it though. I've heard stories of chams overdosing on d3. Sorry for the confusion.

Chamelio, if you are buying Rep-Cal supplements, you need:

1. Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin
2. Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 (Phosphorous - Free Ultrafine powder)
3. Rep-Cal Calcium (Phosphorous Free - No Vitamin D3)

Chamelio, if you are buying Rep-Cal supplements, you need:

1. Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin
2. Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 (Phosphorous - Free Ultrafine powder)
3. Rep-Cal Calcium (Phosphorous Free - No Vitamin D3)

That's exactly what I said but you explained it alot better.

Back
Top Bottom