New member/chameleon keeper

Ok so I just saw him eat for the first time...sort of. He snatched a wax worm, chewed it up, then spit it out. That would have been his first meal in 3 days I think. He is drinking though. His eye looks like it is opened more today since turning off the compact UVB bulb. My wife is picking up some small Horn worms for him so hopefully he will eat those.
Yikes... That's good that he's doing better though and I hope he loves hornworms!

I hope Curl starts eating for you soon. Today marks four weeks since I got my little guy, and when he didn't eat in the beginning I was freaking out too! I totally empathize with you! :(

I hope Curl starts eating for you soon. Today marks four weeks since I got my little guy, and when he didn't eat in the beginning I was freaking out too! I totally empathize with you! :(
How long did yours go without eating. Curl still shows no interest in food. I tried putting a worm in his mouth and he chewed it once and spit it out. He is still keeping his right eye closed but can still open it and see fine. Can they move their tongue into the orbital? I notice sometimes a small bulge inside but it's not the eye as I can see the eye being sucked in then a bulge in the front. He also rubs it sometimes. Still giving him eye drops. Tomorrow he goes back to the vet for follow-up shots

How long did yours go without eating. Curl still shows no interest in food. I tried putting a worm in his mouth and he chewed it once and spit it out. He is still keeping his right eye closed but can still open it and see fine. Can they move their tongue into the orbital? I notice sometimes a small bulge inside but it's not the eye as I can see the eye being sucked in then a bulge in the front. He also rubs it sometimes. Still giving him eye drops. Tomorrow he goes back to the vet for follow-up shots
how long has he not been eating? What shots will he be getting? did he eat before you got the first shots for him?

how long has he not been eating? What shots will he be getting? did he eat before you got the first shots for him?
He has not eaten in a week. I have had him for 2 weeks. But even when he did eat it was very little. Maybe 1 cricket a day. I took him to the vet for the eye issue and lack of eating. I believe he got vitamin A and antibiotic just in case the eye was infected...though I don't think it is. It looks ok but maybe irritated? I don't know. I feel helpless and don't want to lose this little guy.

Here is the feeder cup I made. The crickets stay on that mesh so I know Curl can get them but he just doesn't care. I put worms in front of him and he just ignores them. Sometimes crickets get loose and I have seen them walking in front of and on top of him but again just ignores them.
20160731_165001.jpg

He has not eaten in a week. I have had him for 2 weeks. But even when he did eat it was very little. Maybe 1 cricket a day. I took him to the vet for the eye issue and lack of eating. I believe he got vitamin A and antibiotic just in case the eye was infected...though I don't think it is. It looks ok but maybe irritated? I don't know. I feel helpless and don't want to lose this little guy.
have you gotten a fecal done? if not I would defiantly.

I have done tons of research and I feel like I have done everything right. I took him to the vet as soon as I noticed a problem. The vet is very knowledgeable when it comes to reptiles. My worry right now is that even if he does start eating that the lack of calcium right now is going to cause problems. I saw a thread where someone mentioned putting liquid calcium in the misting water but that got mixed responses. I was really bummed Friday I received my order of Dubia roaches but they were all DOA. I was hoping they would peak his appetite after reading how much chams love them.

yes he looks skinny. going to the vet is good but I dont know if they will be able to help. You said you got him at petsmart? big chain retailers often do not take good care of the animals they are selling so that may factor in too.

So I decided I would feed him and get some water with calcium in him. I have liquid calcium I put in water and used an eye dropper to get it in him. Then I waited until his mouth was open and fed him a waxworm. He ate it! I was so happy. So I will nurse him back to health if it kills me. And hopefully the eye clears up. He rubs it a lot. Surprisingly he was pretty cool with me handling him. Tomorrow I will find out if he lost any weight and I ordered a scale so I can track it myself.

If you look closely you can see he is perched with his right front and left leg. And his left front and right rear feet are clasped together. Curl had his 3rd visit to the vet today. More vita,D,B and antibiotic. Good news is he hasn't lost weight...bad news he hasn't gained any. More good news I was able to get him to eat yesterday and today. 1 worm yesterday and 2 crickets today. Happy for the small victories. Next visit to the vet is Wednesday. This little guy had been to the vet more times in the 2 weeks I've owned him than my 2 dogs have bee
20160801_221744.jpg
n this year.

Back
Top Bottom