New member/chameleon keeper

Mister is set for every 2 hours for 15 seconds and I turn it off a couple hours before lights out. I turn the mister on at 8am and off around 6. I also hand mist the plants here and there. Humidity is around 80% during the day.

He looks really dehydrated. His eyes are very sunken in the last picture you posted. 15 seconds really isn't enough to stimulate him to drink. I would suggest upping those to 45 seconds and picking 2 of those times to do a longer misting of at least 4 -5 minutes. Longer misting sessions encourage them to drink.

What is the humidity level in his cage? How dry does it get? Are you using an AC in the room during this hot summer? One thing new keepers don't realize is that even if a cham drinks regularly, if their setup is too dry much of the time they lose more body moisture than they are getting each day. They are not very efficient at conserving body moisture (didn't really need to be in their wild habitats). Dehydrated chams don't eat much if any which just adds to the problem. He has deteriorated pretty fast based on your pics. How do you measure cage humidity? I wouldn't overdo the liquid calcium...there are other nutrients he isn't getting right now such as electrolytes and calories. If you are giving him liquid by dropper already, what about mixing the water with Pedialyte to get some into him?

The humidity level is good. I have 1 digital and 1 analog hygrometer that I calibrated using 65% Boveda packs. They are not cheapo pet store ones. I have a large humidor in my house for my cigars so I am constantly rotating hygrometers and checking their calibration. And no I don't smoke in the house. I was trying to leave him alone as not to get him more stressed but in doing so didn't realize how dehydrated he had become. That being said, he has been peeing every day so I thought he was drinking enough. Like I said I'm doing my best now to get fluids and food in him with the hope that once he regains his strength he will get back to normal. And my vet is very good and has been taking care of getting vitamins in him.

He really doesn't look good. This is a quick deterioration over just a few days since you started this thread. When I've had young chams get to this point it's what I call the 'Death Mask.' You may have done a lot of research and everything you can, but it sounds like the pet store did what pet stores do best......f*** all. I would suggest offering him a variety of feeders - slugs, rolly pollies (those little sow bugs that roll up into a ball). I really find any chameleon can't resist a slug, if your yard is pesticide free. If you can find some safe moths or grasshoppers as well. Also try mealworms and silkworms. I find my chameleons rarely go after reptiworms (aka phoenix worms, aka black soldier fly larvae).

I would not give this guy a good prognosis, but don't let it discourage you from trying again. Next time, buy from a breeder and observe the chameleons for at least 15 minutes before you choose one.

He really doesn't look good. This is a quick deterioration over just a few days since you started this thread. When I've had young chams get to this point it's what I call the 'Death Mask.' You may have done a lot of research and everything you can, but it sounds like the pet store did what pet stores do best......f*** all. I would suggest offering him a variety of feeders - slugs, rolly pollies (those little sow bugs that roll up into a ball). I really find any chameleon can't resist a slug, if your yard is pesticide free. If you can find some safe moths or grasshoppers as well. Also try mealworms and silkworms. I find my chameleons rarely go after reptiworms (aka phoenix worms, aka black soldier fly larvae).

I would not give this guy a good prognosis, but don't let it discourage you from trying again. Next time, buy from a breeder and observe the chameleons for at least 15 minutes before you choose one.
chameleons eat slugs? can they carry parasites? I dont feed anything wild caught to Stark because Im afraid of parasites. I do have a pill bug colony going though

When Jackson's were introduced to Hawaii, the main concern has since been the effect on the native slug/snail populations. Chameleons LOVE slugs. The fear for parasites is pretty well unfounded - as parasites are host specific. If you live in an area that has a lot of reptiles around, you might need to be concerned... You actually have a much bigger risk of transmitting parasites to your chameleon if you buy a new chameleon from a breeder who keeps WC chameleons, or handle a chameleon at a reptile expo.

I would suggest considering wild caught insects. Here's a bit more info on the subject: http://reptiles.guru/chameleon/can-chameleon-eat-wild-bugs/

After 5 rounds of shots and increased misting curl shows little to no improvement. He weighed 7 grams at his first visit to the vet and has maintained that weight over the last 2 weeks. He still looks dehydrated despite 2 fluid infusions and the increased misting. Today I really thought I was going to lose him. He was so stressed from the shots and weak from not eating that he literally laid on the bottom of his carrier tank and was lifeless for an hour on the way home. He wasn't even propped up on his legs just laying on his side. His head turned bright white then he turned a very dark color. So that was the last of his scheduled vet visits. The only other thing he said could be done was feeding him through a tube. I don't know about that. Seems cruel and just putting off the inevitable. It breaks my heart seeing him like this. I tried putting a worm in his mouth tonight but he was too weak to even chew it and it eventually fell out. Tomorrow if he looks like he has recovered from today's ordeal I will try to put him in the shower for a while with his favorite plant. If the showers don't work then I'm at a loss. At that point I guess I'll just leave him alone and let nature take it's course. I'll still put food in the cage for him but I know that is fruitless at this point. A few days ago I could hand feed him with relative ease but now he won't even open his mouth for me and he is so fragile that I don't want to man-handle him. And what little food I was getting in him was coming out almost completely undigested. Sorry guys I really have done everything I could and heeded everyone's advice. I guess this is a lesson...no chams from the big box stores. I've only had him for 3 weeks but this is just gut-wrenching. I'm so sorry.

After 5 rounds of shots and increased misting curl shows little to no improvement. He weighed 7 grams at his first visit to the vet and has maintained that weight over the last 2 weeks. He still looks dehydrated despite 2 fluid infusions and the increased misting. Today I really thought I was going to lose him. He was so stressed from the shots and weak from not eating that he literally laid on the bottom of his carrier tank and was lifeless for an hour on the way home. He wasn't even propped up on his legs just laying on his side. His head turned bright white then he turned a very dark color. So that was the last of his scheduled vet visits. The only other thing he said could be done was feeding him through a tube. I don't know about that. Seems cruel and just putting off the inevitable. It breaks my heart seeing him like this. I tried putting a worm in his mouth tonight but he was too weak to even chew it and it eventually fell out. Tomorrow if he looks like he has recovered from today's ordeal I will try to put him in the shower for a while with his favorite plant. If the showers don't work then I'm at a loss. At that point I guess I'll just leave him alone and let nature take it's course. I'll still put food in the cage for him but I know that is fruitless at this point. A few days ago I could hand feed him with relative ease but now he won't even open his mouth for me and he is so fragile that I don't want to man-handle him. And what little food I was getting in him was coming out almost completely undigested. Sorry guys I really have done everything I could and heeded everyone's advice. I guess this is a lesson...no chams from the big box stores. I've only had him for 3 weeks but this is just gut-wrenching. I'm so sorry.
Hey it's not your fault. You did everything you could to keep him happy and safe. That's just how chameleons are, and I hate to say it. They are just very fragile. Just know that whatever happens, happened for the best! when his time comes, he'll be eating snacks in heaven!!! Don't beat yourself up, chameleons are just that way sometimes.

Thanks... Curl passed today. He didn't look well when I got up this morning. He was standing there opening and closing his mouth but extremely lethargic. I reached in and pet him a few times knowing it was probably the last time I would see him alive. I found him laying on the floor of his cage when I got home from work this afternoon. Here is a picture of him hanging out on my hand in the waiting room yesterday. If I could go back and do it again I wouldn't have taken him to the vet yesterday. He was too weak to deal with the stress of more shots. But I really didn't realize that at the time. RIP little buddy...
20160805_175529.jpg

Back
Top Bottom