New lights for larger terrarium?

samthechamman

Hi folks,

I am currently building a large terrarium for my veiled cham and I am really excited about it. He has nearly outgrown his old one and I think he definitely deserves a new one. :)

The new terrarium is going to measure 2x2x4 ft (length, width, height) and has
the side, bottom and back walls made of glass, while the front and top are made of screen with a 1 ft high glass lip in the front to prevent soil and foliage from falling out. I plan on having living plants on the bottom, and creating a living background that has plants and flowers along with various sticks and vines protruding.

My dilemma is figuring out what strength and size of light system to upgrade to.
The terrarium my cham grew up in was 18x18x36 inches and I used two dome style lights. A 26 Watt UVB coil bulb to mimic sunlight, along with a separate heat light were enough to keep foliage growing and provide a basking area.

Clearly for a larger cage I'm going to require larger lights.

I was checking out some tube style UVB bulbs at the pet store today, but am unsure of what Wattage I should use, or how many I will need. The lights must be strong enough to reach the plants growing near the bottom, as well as the plants growing on the back wall of the cage.

Any recommendations?

A 24'' 4 lamp T5HO with 1 12% uvb bulb and 3 5000k-6500k plant grow bulbs would suffice. Of course with a heat lamp also for basking. If you want to get all fancy like you could go LED for the plant growth.

Something like this(T5HO):
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/trblhot524qu1.html

For LED, you could use:I have a similar(not as good)fixture on my cage and the plants love it!!!
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Freshwater-Plant-p/56544p.htm
The LED set up is considerably cheaper and much slimmer, however I don't know if my local pet store would carry it and I'd like to avoid ordering online, although if they seem worth it I would make an exception. Does your cham seem to enjoy these style of lights?

Don't know how beneficial to the cham it is, but the plants sure do love the light. I bet the extra light in his cage does maybe help with his mood, hunting, etc. Todd at lightyourreptiles has some LED lamps too, but I am partial to the slim design of LED freshwater aquarium fixture design.

I highly recommending getting a HO T5 fixture. Either a quad or a double fixture would be your best bet. The LED fixture would work but you will still need to get another fixture for the UVB bulb as LED's do not produce the UVB chameleons require. So your getting a two for one deal with a T5 Fixture.

As for the benefit of the 6.5k bulbs or LED's on a chameleon. The full spectrum light is important for all livings things and so is the brightness to simulate natural circadian rhythms. Circadian rhythms are important in determining the sleeping and feeding patterns of all animals, including human beings. It also fights reptile depression as stated above.

I use this fixture for all of my Chams.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52323p.htm

It comes with 6500K plant bulbs. I just replace one of the bulbs with an Arcadia or Reptisun UVB bulb and they are good to go. These lights keep my plants and trees trhiving, my chams happy, and they are much less expensive than other 4 bulb T5 HO fixtures out there. The integrated timer is nice as well. If you don't want the timer get the one without, but then you will have external ballasts. I enjoy the internal ballasts in these.

I would recommend getting two UVB bulbs for your quad fixtures. Especially if your cage is going to be 2x2x4 and is being planted.

I know most folks are aware--

But just to remind anyone new "tuning in" to using LED...

when using LED, you must use a UV emitting bulb with it.

And in most cases, some heat emitting light too.

LED of the CORRECT spectrum is great for plants!

But any LED product commercially available will have NO 0 % UV B,
and does not project much heat.

Cheers!
Todd

Back
Top Bottom