New Jackson's babies

Chromashumans

Well, we have been pretty stressed around here. Our Jackson's has not been eating well for weeks. We had taken her to see two separate vets, one did an X-Ray, and the other did an Ultrasound, and neither confirmed she was pregnant. We thought she might be pregnant again, because we had heard that they can retain sperm, Turns out that is true. She had one batch of 8, about four months ago, then today had 23!! No wonder she hasn't been eating well. She had no room! I'm so relieved- we have been hand feeding, and just so worried about her. She looks like she already feels better, but still hasn't eaten anything, though she had the last babies around 3 hours ago.

Has anyone experienced this? How long does it take for chams to eat after giving birth usually?

Six of the babies were still born. We are going to do our best with the rest- I've been poring over the cham forums all day!

Thanks for any advice, experience you can pass along.

-Sarah

Most livebearers I kept starting eating a day or two after giving birth. Make sure she gets rehydrated also.

Congrats on the babies!

Carl

Congrats on the babies. Only 4 months huh, wow! Quick gestation.

My girl had babies 6 months ago and looks like she is ready to pop any day now (also retained).

Babies should eat within 3 days at the latest. Usually it is 1-2 like said above. I would get crickets and fruit flies as some do prefer one over the other. I've noticed with all the Jackson babies I've had, fruit flies get them going the best.

Make sure your girl is well hydrated. Usually they will eat after giving birth, or early the next day.

Thank you, Carl. That helps ease the worry a lot. She drank right away, so I think she won't have any trouble there. We have been feeding her Ensure with blended dry crickets for about three weeks now. The day she starts eating on her own I may do a backflip, (and get a new blender.)

These babies are amazing.

I appreciate your response!

Seiryu,

Thank you, and good luck with your babies! We have fruit flies now, which they haven't seemed interested in, and should be able to get pinheads tomorrow.

I may be off a bit on the four month gestation. I started keeping a calendar but well after the first brood.

-Sarah

Seiryu,

Thank you, and good luck with your babies! We have fruit flies now, which they haven't seemed interested in, and should be able to get pinheads tomorrow.

I may be off a bit on the four month gestation. I started keeping a calendar but well after the first brood.

-Sarah

It's possible, don't rule it out :). There is a lot unknown about Jacksons retaining yet.

Pinheads are good. But I've noticed my babies can eat the 1/8" right off the bat. The problem is in a week or so the 1/8" are too big. But with how many mouths you have to feed, you'll go through them fast. But pinheads are definitely on the safe side.

Good luck with the babies! I wish my girl would have hers. She looks miserable. Still eating though, so maybe she isn't as close as I hope.

Back
Top Bottom