New hornworm chow??

AndrewH

i like the look and almost odorless smell of this new chow i see the hornworms on. i picked up a few pods from a local exotic pet store. It seems to give them a much brighter coloration too. hopefully it will stop them from growing so fast as well ;)

If anyone out there knows if this change is permanent or temporary, and what the reasoning may be behind the change?

Just curious and bored :)

andrew

DSC06285.jpg

DSC06286.jpg

I have heard that they are producing different colored Hornworms by feeding different types of Chow. Looks like that chow may be specially made to make the hornworms that eat it that lighter color. Just a guess.... I have never seen that.

That chow does not have the chlorophyll which causes plants and Horn worms to be green. That is also a majority of the smell (leaf like) comes from.

Feed a horn worm exclusively on red bell pepper and see what happens. Its really cool what you can do with their color.

It is a you are what you eat thing

Edit : You can actually request the blue worms from them. The food is more susceptible to mold.

I have found that very early on.
Actually, I find that the blue one seems to grow as fast as the green one.

That chow does not have the chlorophyll which causes plants and Horn worms to be green. That is also a majority of the smell (leaf like) comes from.

Feed a horn worm exclusively on red bell pepper and see what happens. Its really cool what you can do with their color.

It is a you are what you eat thing

Edit : You can actually request the blue worms from them. The food is more susceptible to mold.

try mulberry leaves yet?

hrrrmmm. red bell peppers??? interesting :D looks like i'll be experimenting, thanks for the info guys

Back
Top Bottom