New here

Dyamedic

Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area.I just obtained my first cham,got him from repticon in Atlanta this past week end.I am just wondering if anyone could give me the approx age of this little guy(or girl).I look forward to doing a lot of research here and talking with you all ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366071809.055173.jpg

YOUR CHAMELEON YOU PURCHASED IS VERY SKINNY AND DEHYDRATED. PLEASE FEED HIM AND WATER HIM A LOT.
Looks maybe 3 months.

How much are you watering and feeding.

See how sunken his eyes are? He needs more water. Also you shouldn't be able to see the bones in his tail, he is far too malnourished.

I am not real good with guessing ages. I like to see the chameleon on someone's hand to get a comparison for size as pics can be deceiving. I do agree with the other member that he is very dehydratred and thin. How are you providing water?

dude!! do you see his eyes sunken in? that meens he is not getting water...d oyou see the ridge on his back. and his hips that meens he is not getting a variety of food...worms have essential fats gutloaded crickets with dust provide vitimins!! you need to do much more research!! they don't drink from a dish they need a dripp and multiple misting with a bottle or system a day!! mine eats a lot about 10 crickets and 4 medium horns a day!!!

Did you see that I just got it 2 days ago,I'm not here to get bashed.i will offer the correct foods and water.i can't turn him around in two days.i do however appreciate the help and suggestions

dude!! do you see his eyes sunken in? that meens he is not getting water...d oyou see the ridge on his back. and his hips that meens he is not getting a variety of food...worms have essential fats gutloaded crickets with dust provide vitimins!! you need to do much more research!! they don't drink from a dish they need a dripp and multiple misting with a bottle or system a day!! mine eats a lot about 10 crickets and 4 medium horns a day!!!

take it easy bro. . . . . he just said hes new im sure hell be a good cham owner

Unfortunately some newer keepers get a little errrr overzealous. Most of us do want to help you and your chameleon get a good start so don't get dissuaded.

At this point water is the best thing you can do for your animal and I've given several suggestions on how to achieve that in the blog I linked earlier. Water will get her rehydrated, flush her system and clean her skin and eyes. Considering the time of day I would get started on the showering in the morning and let her sleep tonight.

Keep us posted and don't be shy asking questions.

not tring to bash you but its at the point that his eyes are sinking. when i see something like that i get bothered..why buy a cham that has been wrongly cared for? i would have made the breeder at repticon feel like @$$ for real.

do a constant drip from a water bottle with a hole or a repti dripper...also spray his environment till eveyting is soaked hit the screen at a angle so the water drops hold for a while do this 5-7 times also you can easily spay him to help with hydration...very gutloaded crickets should have a lot of moisture and hornworms are packed with juices. do this for a week and he will be in right shape!!! welcome to the site

not tring to bash you but its at the point that his eyes are sinking. when i see something like that i get bothered..why buy a cham that has been wrongly cared for? i would have made the breeder at repticon feel like @$$ for real.

not everyone knows what to look for in a healthy chameleon. I have seen people buy chameleons with MBD and not realize it because they did not know what MBD was. The new owner is trying to do the best he can. He just got the chameleon. Let's give him all the support we can. He did not make the chameleon look this way.

sorry man ... i ment zero disrespect!!!! i forget about the mistakes i have made as a beginner and assume everyone knows what others on this site do. i love my herps man..i have my whole family envolved and get excited when i see lapses in care...we will get him right...i may be a direct person but i mean only to help. my two boys help me feed my chams and walk my 4 foot iguana rescue . plus love the 55 gal fish tank...im loaded with stuff man...im "into" this stuff its apart of me...we will get him straight!!

I understand how upsetting it is to see one not cared for properly.I have had iguanas,snakes,fish,dogs,cats,and birds.I love animals and sometimes pay more attention to them then I do my on personal needs.Even if I had known he was in bad shape,I probably would have still bought him.At least he has a chance now.I will do everything I can for the well being of this little guy.i will take another picture of him in 2-3days so some comparisons can be made.I do appreciate all the help

ChameleonsbyVanGogh: I can assure you nothing has been deleted from this thread. Are you quite sure you posted?

Welcome to the forum Dyamedic! you've come to a great place for accurate knowledge on chameleon care :)

as suggested, she definitely needs more water. there are several ways to do this. you can make a home made dripper by taking a plastic cup, or well washed milk jug and pierce several holes in the bottom and put lukewarm water in it. place it on the top of the cage over the foliage and this will simulate rain to stimulate her to drink :) you can also purchase a Little or Big Dripper. when misting, i suggest misting for 3-5 minutes at a time as it will take her a minute or two to be stimulated to drink. you can also place her in the shower on a plant, point the shower head at the wall so the water bounces off the wall and onto the plant. use warm water as it will be warmer to her then to you. watch her carefully and you can have her in there for 15 or so minutes. this ill also help convince her to drink :)

what kind of cage do you have? its important to let the cage dry out between mistings! and you dont need to mist or have the dripper going at night.

also, here is a link to the Flapneck caresheet, has accurate info on their care https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/senegal/

this blog has great ideas for feeders for your cham, it also tells how much they can make of your chams diet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html variety is important for them!

and this blog has a great gutload recipe for your feeders to give your cham as much nutrition as you can! https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

hope this helps some and please keep us updated on how she is doing! :D

glad to have you here and any questions you have, please ask and we will do everything we can to help!

Back
Top Bottom