new here :)

OliveTheVeiled

Hi I'm new to the forum! I have a 3 year old female veiled named Olive. We've had her for a little over a month and she's been a wonderful member of the family so far. We just picked up a 2x2x4 open air tank and she seams to be loving all the room. I'm having a few minor issues figuring out a good misting/water system ( right now we have a repti mister but its pretty much worthless and always needs to be refilled) i like the fact that it mists and i'm not always spraying. Any advice on what may have a better tank size/ more then one nozzle? I looked at the monsoon but didnt see the greatest reviews. I also have her on a daily cricket diet with a milworm treat maybe once a week. I know she can have some veggies but how do I offer them since she's all about the catch? Any advice would be great
~Mandy

Mistking or aquazamp. I use mistking because they replied quicker as I needed it sending to UK
But I'm so happy I got one saves so much time during the days especially when I'm not home

I looked into the mist king, maybe it's something i'll have to work towards. The smallest kit I saw was a little over $300! Maybe it would help if my toddler would stop flipping the on off switch to make my little mister spray lol he doesnt want her leaves to ever be dry. Thank you both for your replies, i've never even heard of aquazap.

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Glad to hear Olive has settled in with you nicely.
I just hand mist so I can offer no more advice on automatic systems. Here is a great all-round caresheet I always recommend to new people with Veileds though https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html
If she's not interested in the veggies there's no need to get her to eat them. As long as her insects get them of course :)
Here's a great list of other feeders she might like - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Hand spray like 1 to 3 times a day, if you have the money i just got a repti fogger and it works well. but must use purified water NOT tap. good luck! chams are dope ass pets

Where are you looking ? Lol its 99dollas for a starter kit which has everything you need for 1 cage
http://www.mistking.com/Starter-Misting-System-MKMSN.html

WOW in the wrong place I guess! Thanks, this small repti set was $99 and the link you sent seams to be much better.

David- i was hand misting too when she was in her smaller cage, but i'm also a mom of 3 (soon to be 4) and a daycare provider so i wasnt getting upstairs as much as I wanted to mist. We bought her a nice fountain but she wasnt interested in as a water source. I have yet to offer her veggies because I wasnt sure how to go about offering them.

Well worth the money.
You shouldn't use fountains really unless you plan on giving it daily maintenance, they're a haven for bacteria. I use to use one but chucked it in the bin after a while as it was always needing cleaning and a pain in the ass to do so

David- i was hand misting too when she was in her smaller cage, but i'm also a mom of 3 (soon to be 4) and a daycare provider so i wasnt getting upstairs as much as I wanted to mist. We bought her a nice fountain but she wasnt interested in as a water source. I have yet to offer her veggies because I wasnt sure how to go about offering them.

I can understand. I have occasions where I don't mist for a day and I get away with it now mine are adults with drippers. There are days when they seem to be enjoying the water and I'm in all day though. They get at least two very wet days each week........
Not everyone can spare the time to stand there like an idiot spraying lizards until he's 100% sure they aren't at all thirsty anymore though :) I might have to get an automatic mister myself sometime soon.....
I agree with RoskaL, I had a fountain before I knew it could be a real health risk and they are more trouble than they are worth. Take it out, get her some more leaves (another plant:)).
Offer any veggies or fruit you can use in gutload https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html just on a plate or in a bowl. If she's interested she'll eat. My male doesn't eat things that don't move. If you have a fairly dim, unintelligent cham who will handfeed like my female you can wave the food around a bit and she might be more interested......

Sometimes, you really need to spend the $$ and buy a automatic misting
machine, esp if you own montanes (jacksons).
For a veiled cham, I would not be no neurotic about RH as they come from
Yemen and can tolerate lower humidity.
I would also recommend a cheap humidifier from like, Walmart or someplace
like that.

Personally, I dont even have my veiled on a automatic mister. I leave his
dripper on all day, spray his cage down really well in the morning before
leaving for work, then again when I get home at 4pm.

The cham room is never below 50% RH in the winter, and is like 70 to 80% in the summer.

I may like my mister i have more if i felt comfortable with how much its misting, i'm afraid its not enough. I have it set for every hour for 45 seconds. It seams to get everything nice and misted but her lights dry things out so quickly. The reptile guy at the pets store thought i ave too much light/UV on her. I've actually removed a bulb because when we got her she had a 3 bulb set up with a 5.0 on either end and a 2.0 in the middle then a separate heat lamp. I removed the 2.0 and left the 2 5.0's. He think's even 2-5's are a bit much.

I may like my mister i have more if i felt comfortable with how much its misting, i'm afraid its not enough. I have it set for every hour for 45 seconds. It seams to get everything nice and misted but her lights dry things out so quickly. The reptile guy at the pets store thought i ave too much light/UV on her. I've actually removed a bulb because when we got her she had a 3 bulb set up with a 5.0 on either end and a 2.0 in the middle then a separate heat lamp. I removed the 2.0 and left the 2 5.0's. He think's even 2-5's are a bit much.

The thing with that is 45 second isn't long enough to lower the surface temps enough to keep everything moist for longer periods so you either need to increase time of misting or increase frequency.
Mine mists 5and half mins 3times a day and 3 and half for the last misting so its not that wet at lights out

Well,
I'm new to this forum and to chameleons. I still haven't gotten mine but I'm getting myself a vieled chameleon. Personally, if you have the money then I would suggest you to go to mistkings and buy yourself a misting system. It will be worth it because lets say you're running late one day or you deicde to stay over a family members house or your friends house and you need to mist your cham. The misting system will be there to automatically mist your chameleon. As for me, I'm staying with my hand mister for now. I am not going out of town anytime soon. The only time I leave my house is at 9:30am to go work and I get back home at 4pm so I will make sure I hand mist my cham very very well once I get it. I am thinking about getting myself a misting system but maybe a couple months from now when I actually begin planning on being away from my house for a day. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom