New Here (Starting build for Female Panther coming beginning of Sept)

maplejwl

Hi Guys. I’ve been listening to the Bill Strands podcast and guides for building the Forest Edge enclousure. Right now I am adding the basking, hiding, feeding and sleeping branches. Along with other climbing branches. Any feedback is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 105
Is there a screen bottom in that enclosure or do you have the plastic square?

Just thinking that if there is no bottom other than the drip tray you may have bugs getting loose!

Oh! So I took bottom out I have the dragon strand 2x2x4. I was going to use the white bottom for potted plants and drill holes for misting.
Is there a screen bottom in that enclosure or do you have the plastic square?

Just thinking that if there is no bottom other than the drip tray you may have bugs getting loose!

Hi Guys. I’ve been listening to the Bill Strands podcast and guides for building the Forest Edge enclousure. Right now I am adding the basking, hiding, feeding and sleeping branches. Along with other climbing branches. Any feedback is definitely appreciated. Thanks.
Your going to need vertical bracing branches for the dragon ledges. It will allow the ledges to support more weight for hanging plants higher as well.

https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

Was co
I think you could add more branches, especially at the top... and maybe add a Pothos Or something for cover more near the top as well??

you can suspend Your uvb and/or basking light to the correct and safe distances to use the space at the top of the enclosure.
[/QUOTE
I think you could add more branches, especially at the top... and maybe add a Pothos Or something for cover more near the top as well??

you can suspend Your uvb and/or basking light to the correct and safe distances to use the space at the top of the enclosure.
Got a devils ivy near the top maybe get another one? I need to find some better quality branches for filling the top. I kind of felt the same way, but wanted to leave at least 10 inches for the uvb and heating lamp.

Oh! So I took bottom out I have the dragon strand 2x2x4. I was going to use the white bottom for potted plants and drill holes for misting.
Did they not supply a screen bottom as well? Some folks put the screen bottom in with the screen flat on the central pedestal of the drain pan, then put a piece of plastic egg crate on top of the screen to provide support & weight distribution for plant pots. ;)

This should keep the bugs in, and still allow excess water from misting to drain below into the drain pan. A bulkhead can be installed in the drain pan to drain water out into a bucket below the enclosure.

Did they not supply a screen bottom as well? Some folks put the screen bottom in with the screen flat on the central pedestal of the drain pan, then put a piece of plastic egg crate on top of the screen to provide support & weight distribution for plant pots. ;)

This should keep the bugs in, and still allow excess water from misting to drain below into the drain pan. A bulkhead can be installed in the drain pan to drain water out into a bucket below the enclosure.
I had intended to use the PVC board with holes drilled into it to allow for draining. I guess the screen bottom may be the better option.

I had intended to use the PVC board with holes drilled into it to allow for draining. I guess the screen bottom may be the better option.
FYI you can not put weight on the screen bottom with the plants... If you use the screen bottom you have to mount all plants. so drilling holes into the pvc board will allow for drainage.

FYI you can not put weight on the screen bottom with the plants... If you use the screen bottom you have to mount all plants. so drilling holes into the pvc board will allow for drainage.
I'm sorry, but that's not what I suggested. What I said was,
Some folks put the screen bottom in with the screen flat on the central pedestal of the drain pan, then put a piece of plastic egg crate on top of the screen to provide support & weight distribution for plant pots.
This works perfectly fine, and does not put weight or stress on the screen.

bill strands creation / design are the best on the market... mine are very close, made out of cedar / redwood, you need more branches!!

bill strands creation / design are the best on the market... mine are very close, made out of cedar / redwood, you need more branches!!
I’m not sure what you are referring to. A link perhaps? Yeah I am definitely going to add more branches and a dimmable heating lamp because I am getting a female where I’ve seen the temps need to be around 80F instead of 85F

I was speaking to the op. Making sure they knew that they could not only use the screen and put pots on it.
Sorry—that wasn't clear that far down in the thread.

What I suggested still holds though. The way they are designed, as long as the screened bottom is put in bead-side down, you can put the egg crate under the screen or on top of the screen. The weight of any plants is still supported & distributed by the egg crate, which is in turn supported by the drain pan structures. I wasn't the first one to think of this.

Sorry—that wasn't clear that far down in the thread.

What I suggested still holds though. The way they are designed, as long as the screened bottom is put in bead-side down, you can put the egg crate under the screen or on top of the screen. The weight of any plants is still supported & distributed by the egg crate, which is in turn supported by the drain pan structures. I wasn't the first one to think of this.
No, your correct and I am in no way trying to say that your not. Like I said I was speaking to them letting them know not to use the screen only and add plants, as it will not support any weight and will in turn rip out and flex that screen.

No, your correct and I am in no way trying to say that your not. Like I said I was speaking to them letting them know not to use the screen only and add plants, as it will not support any weight and will in turn rip out and flex that screen.
IDK. You might be able to get away with it as long as the pots were placed directly on the drain pan structures, and not the screen hanging in space. I believe that's why those structures are there—the big round one in the single size and the fins in the double-wide. My first thought was using large tiles supported by the pan structures, but it would be too difficult to get the tiles in the right place in case they slipped or shifted. The egg crate solves that problem.

It would obviously damage the screen trying to support anything on just the screen itself. Silly me—I thought something like that would go without saying, but then half the world... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom