New Enclosure Project?!?

BKFritz

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but its about 5' tall and 6'wide. A friend of mine on FB has a husband who manages a Petco (I know, I know lol) near me and they are looking to get rid of this! So! For a $40 donation to the local humane society it will be mine! It is all glass but I plan on screening 3 sides and maaaaybe, if I'm feeling brave, I will turn the back wall into one of those fancy spray foam, living wall things :)

Cross your fingers that Juliaf3 can fit it in her vehicle when she goes to town on Thursday!

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 10.03.40 PM.jpg

Sounds like a great deal you should take advantage of.If it already has glass maybe even for something other than a chameleon.I would put wood dividers in there to make it for multiple reptiles.I think you should take 2.5' wide and the 5' tall to put a divider in that and just make the non glass side screen and it would be PLENTY big.The expanding foam spray is inexpensive and I think (J.M.H.O.) is easy to apply.I can get a can for $5

Very cool! I'd just screen the doors and the top and see if you get enough air flow with that.

Look like a STEAL! Nice catch and petco people gets so much crap on them here. I can't blame them they have some sad horror stories in regards of their reptile department. Any way, I would go with turning that into a mini reptile show case. Just like what thereptileguy said.

GOOD LUCK!

I'd screen the sides and top and leave the glass on the front. All screen is over rated. Many people take a screen cage and put the fancy background on the back, then cover the sides so that they can't see other chameleons on each side of them. So that leaves only the front and top screen. Then they say "they only use all screen cages", lol.

You'd have plenty of ventilation with the sides and top being screen.

I'd screen the sides and top and leave the glass on the front. All screen is over rated. Many people take a screen cage and put the fancy background on the back, then cover the sides so that they can't see other chameleons on each side of them. So that leaves only the front and top screen. Then they say "they only use all screen cages", lol.

:D lol, funny.

Oh, that's sweet indeed! I don't think that's fitting in any car. Maybe on the roof of a car or a truck bed. Anyway good luck getting it home and enjoy that awesome en losers

Look like a STEAL! Nice catch and petco people gets so much crap on them here. I can't blame them they have some sad horror stories in regards of their reptile department. Any way, I would go with turning that into a mini reptile show case. Just like what thereptileguy said.

GOOD LUCK!

I agree! Petco certainly gets a lot of crap about their reptile department (usually well deserved). The reptiles at this one do seem to be kept in better conditions. Not ideal by any means, but for sure better than a lot of others. I would love to go in there and hook them up with a couple proper cages. They never have much foliage, but then again if they had the level of coverage that was preferred customers would not be able to see the chams and would probably assume they were empty cages. I have a hard time hating on them when they do so much work with local rescues and the humane society.

Oh, that's sweet indeed! I don't think that's fitting in any car. Maybe on the roof of a car or a truck bed. Anyway good luck getting it home and enjoy that awesome en losers

NO, definitely not fitting in a car :) My brother in law and I are going in the morning with his buddies pickup and bringing it home :) It's a big boy so please pray my back hold out :p

That's really nice! It will make an awesome enclosure.

Thank you Jann! I'm really excited about it! It might take me a while to get it ready to live in though. Gotta figure out drainage and figure out how exactly I want to set it up. Then I will probably need a whole new lighting system. The stuff i have now works well for a 2x2x4 cage but this sucker is 6ft long and 5ft high! :) It comes with a double fixture but I'm not sure what lights it takes.

Anyways! It will be a fun winter project :)

You think just the top and the sides screen will be good? I just worry because their cages are in the basement. It's a nice basement and it stays dry so mildew in general isn't a problem but I worry that with all the water going through the cage it might not be enough circulation.

If anything, maybe leave the sides and back glass, and just do the front and top in screen. That way theres a bit more surface area made of screen. Am I making sense? lol

Very cool! I'd just screen the doors and the top and see if you get enough air flow with that.

Thanks!

I think there is just the one door :/ I haven't actually seen it yet. :eek: It's a "want" enclosure, not a "need" enclosure so I have oodles of time to play with it and make it great! :) I won't be able to really finish it until spring anyway. People 'round here clean up their trees in the spring there are ALWAYS awesome branches!

You think just the top and the sides screen will be good? I just worry because their cages are in the basement. It's a nice basement and it stays dry so mildew in general isn't a problem but I worry that with all the water going through the cage it might not be enough circulation.

If anything, maybe leave the sides and back glass, and just do the front and top in screen. That way theres a bit more surface area made of screen. Am I making sense? lol

It appears to me that the sides have almost the same square area as the front. I personally would like looking at my chams through glass instead of screen if it were possible to give them ventilation through the sides and top. If I were doing a showcase type of setup, the front would not be screen. IMO.

It appears to me that the sides have almost the same square area as the front. I personally would like looking at my chams through glass instead of screen if it were possible to give them ventilation through the sides and top. If I were doing a showcase type of setup, the front would not be screen. IMO.

I got it home today. I was told it was glass but it's actually plexy glass. the glass on the front is cracked and has been calked as a repair. The whole thing is kind of a mess at the moment so it should be fun making it over :)

On the up side...I gave them $20 and I got the enclosure, 4 big dome lights, 4ft double fixture and this water fall thing. It's huge! Takes up my entire bathtub! I'm thinking I could enclose it in something, somehow, and make a neat frog habitat. I still have to do some research, but sounds rad :D

It's laying on its side.
waterfall.jpg

Agreed to trash that stuff. Plexi is not good at all. Good luck with your project!

Thanks! I was looking at that Ultra View HD window screen. It's supposed to have a lot better viewing. Do you or anyone have any experience with the stuff?

Thanks! I was looking at that Ultra View HD window screen. It's supposed to have a lot better viewing. Do you or anyone have any experience with the stuff?

Nope, but they say "refined yarns" which is a red flag to me. Insects will chew through everything but aluminum screen in my experience.

Nope, but they say "refined yarns" which is a red flag to me. Insects will chew through everything but aluminum screen in my experience.

Thanks! It is way more then I would like to spend on screen anyways. :/ I don't have anybody in need of a new home at the moments so I can take my time figuring out what to do with it :)

Back
Top Bottom