New custom enclosure Finally done

Hey just wanted to jump on and share the new enclosure build I talked about when I first got Mr Kimbo and it has been a project but so glad it's done and he's in his new home he already seems better off!!!
Went with at 24x36x48 in size its wood but sealed with pond armor and aquarium silcone and still sat and off gassed for a week in my shed.
Solid back wall with cork bark attached a picture of 10lbs from pangea alot more than I expected.
All aluminum screen (charcoal color)
Mist king (best investment ever)
2 T5 linears a 12% arcadia uvb. hanging perfect 13 inches above his basking branch and 6400k veg bulb for the umbrella tree pothos and lighting in the cage and 100w incandescent bulb for basking perfect 83 with a lazer temp gun.
Biggest challenge I faced building it was the drainage for the mister and water at the bottom of the cage. I ended up building the bottom of the cage with 2inch board instead of 1 inch and built almost a shower type floor with a 1inch slope and grey shower liner for water proofing and ease of cleaning. installed a 24in linear shower drain in the floor and it works flawless water goes to one spot no where else. I feel pretty proud of it first cham enclosure I've built!!! hopefully some good feed back from everyone thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• 20210504_145112.jpg
    20210504_145112.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210505_112531.jpg
    20210505_112531.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Snapchat-490354354.jpg
    Snapchat-490354354.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Snapchat-64503136.jpg
    Snapchat-64503136.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210511_130920.jpg
    20210511_130920.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210511_131905.jpg
    20210511_131905.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210511_165554.jpg
    20210511_165554.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210512_173918.jpg
    20210512_173918.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210524_173830.jpg
    20210524_173830.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 20210524_181821.jpg
    20210524_181821.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 158
Here's the rest of the pictures since I can only do 10 a post haha

Attachments

• 20210524_182350.jpg
    20210524_182350.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Snapchat-1954933964.jpg
    Snapchat-1954933964.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Snapchat-1385475226.jpg
    Snapchat-1385475226.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Snapchat-146570131.jpg
    Snapchat-146570131.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Snapchat-791236371.jpg
    Snapchat-791236371.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Snapchat-100535784.jpg
    Snapchat-100535784.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Snapchat-229076717.jpg
    Snapchat-229076717.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 157
Some great ideas & implementation there. (y)

I've got a digital one in there already my good friend I just like using the lazer for surface temps 👍
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-home-made-enclosure.182780/page-2#post-1670406

Should you ever decide to rearrange around a centerpiece plant, egg crate makes a great floor compatible with your drainage system (great use of linear shower drain!). It can support large potted plants while still allowing drainage. (It also makes a dandy trellis for climbing vines. ;))

I'm thinking mayhaps I should have elaborated a bit...
Posts like this make me falsely believe that I too can build a nice enclosure. Y’all do such a nice job and make it seem easy. 😉
Looks great and that’s a handsome cham!

In the public school system I grew up in during the '60s/'70s, typically the boys took "shop" classes (where we learned a lot of the basics of this kind of stuff) and the girls took "home economics". During that same period, things began to change; some of the girls took "shop" and some of the boys took "home ec". IDK what kids & schools are doing these days. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, whether male or female, if you did or didn't, there are ways of redressing the situation for those of a mind or desire.

Two ways I know of for regular folk to learn these kinds of skills—and get affordable access to the machines & tools, and how to use them—are adult continuing education classes and woodworking clubs. (If you think keeping reptiles is expensive—which it is—try pricing out what a decent shop full of machines & tools costs! :eek: )

In either of the above, they usually encourage (if not require) folks to have a project to work on. I think a chameleon enclosure could make a dandy project. :)

I'm thinking mayhaps I should have elaborated a bit...

In the public school system I grew up in during the '60s/'70s, typically the boys took "shop" classes (where we learned a lot of the basics of this kind of stuff) and the girls took "home economics". During that same period, things began to change; some of the girls took "shop" and some of the boys took "home ec". IDK what kids & schools are doing these days. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, whether male or female, if you did or didn't, there are ways of redressing the situation for those of a mind or desire.

Two ways I know of for regular folk to learn these kinds of skills—and get affordable access to the machines & tools, and how to use them—are adult continuing education classes and woodworking clubs. (If you think keeping reptiles is expensive—which it is—try pricing out what a decent shop full of machines & tools costs! :eek: )

In either of the above, they usually encourage (if not require) folks to have a project to work on. I think a chameleon enclosure could make a dandy project. :)
I do have basic tools, knowledge and skills. My measuring sucks really badly though and I’m quite afraid of using my circular saw. I’ve watched YouTube videos on using the saw, which help immensely. Not sure how to fix my crappy measuring and I’ve really tried. Maybe when stepdaughter moves and takes all her stuff that’s packed in my garage I’ll start some simple practice projects.

I do have basic tools, knowledge and skills. My measuring sucks really badly though and I’m quite afraid of using my circular saw. I’ve watched YouTube videos on using the saw, which help immensely. Not sure how to fix my crappy measuring and I’ve really tried. Maybe when stepdaughter moves and takes all her stuff that’s packed in my garage I’ll start some simple practice projects.
We have both of those issues in common.
  • Measure twice several times—cut once. Consistency—always measure & cut on the same side of a line or mark. This stuff takes practice like any skill. Nobody starts out a Wendell Castle—not even Wendell Castle! ;)
  • Don't fear the saw. Have a healthy awareness of—and respect for—it.
  • The most important tool is your brain.
  • A clean shop is a safe shop.
  • A sharp tool is safer than a dull tool.
  • Don't try to rush things; take your time and think things through, and results will improve.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help. I think this is where a class or club can really help.

Hey man! Couple of quick questions. If you don’t mind. I’m just getting back into the hobby after a few year break. I built a 40 gallon naturalistic terrarium for 5 Brookesia therezieni.
I made the background out of spray foam cut ledges for shade..... had a blast. Covered the foam with spaghnum, drainage layer, and substrate. I’m sorry for being long winded but basically here’s my question. In this situation you have a system that fertilizes it’s self, active springtail culture and isopods in the substrate to keep it clean, and chameleons to provide fertilizer to the plants. (Spagh, coco husk and sand isn’t very nutritious) so it’s good that the whole is able to be bioactive by adding dead leaves which will be broken down etc... you get it.

Back when I had a veiled I had a single umbrella that needed to be fertilized one way or another, I was so paranoid about this I put a freaking screen cover over the pot so he couldn’t get to it.
I have a stack of lumber in my garage vinyl screen, little bit of plexiglass. Same deal you did for the most part. My major question and I can’t tell in the pics is the pothos... there elevated and are a root bound plant so did you secure the pots up there? I may be a dumbass but I just can’t figure it out. How to fertilize, have water runoff, worrying about making chams sick. I just wondered what you did or if you think this is even an issue (maybe pothos don’t even need fertilizer who knows I’m pretty dumb.)
Have a pair of jacksonii jacksonii bought and asking breeder to hold them Building a tandem cage which houses both with a divider, no visual contact ofc. 2 hanging pothos for each. 3 bromeliads 1 large that are root bound to cork bark so they definitely don’t need fertilizer other ones stay tiny but they work insane for a water source and humidity. Long story short. I have the plant light as well, but how do you keep a soil root based plant suspended and alive without some form of fertilizer. I may be goofy as hell but I’d really appreciate some input or thoughts man! Thanks and awesome build! Need to get off my butt and turn the pile of wood into something pretty

@HunterCope the pots are secured above the floor with zip ties to the stick frame just made sure it was sturdy enough I have solid pots with the pothos and some composted living soil I re amended from my vegetables I grew a few months back and i just water with ro water cover the top with rocks so he dosent munch the mix and end up impacted pothos or devils ivy are so so so hardy no need for pot drain just be light on water when you do water they don't need much I did the same with the umbrella repoted it from the store in a lower profile pot took the coco coir away and added a natural soil and cover with rocks so I'm not even using fertilizer I know everyone sayss grow them in coco but haven't had any problems with a living soil they seem healthier to. It's probably my soil I'm using to ill propagate pothos and have new plants growing in less than 2 weeks.

@HunterCope the pots are secured above the floor with zip ties to the stick frame just made sure it was sturdy enough I have solid pots with the pothos and some composted living soil I re amended from my vegetables I grew a few months back and i just water with ro water cover the top with rocks so he dosent munch the mix and end up impacted pothos or devils ivy are so so so hardy no need for pot drain just be light on water when you do water they don't need much I did the same with the umbrella repoted it from the store in a lower profile pot took the coco coir away and added a natural soil and cover with rocks so I'm not even using fertilizer I know everyone sayss grow them in coco but haven't had any problems with a living soil they seem healthier to. It's probably my soil I'm using to ill propagate pothos and have new plants growing in less than 2 weeks.
Thanks so much. Going to be much less of an issue than I assumed!

Back
Top Bottom