New colony :)

Nemesis

Avid Member
Giant green banana roaches doing well =) 20200108_092715.jpg

A quote from 2013 when i was selling these little guys

Ok somewhere in hell they make you count flying climbing roaches. I thought i was going to be smart and cool them to 65F. At that point the females are grounded and the males can only hop about 2-3". Well that was all till something bad happened. ya see if you line the tub with olive oil or vasoline, the condensation and heat causes it to melt or absorb water/dust and then the little guys can just run right over it in about a week. So i line my tubs with coconut oil, it never absorbs water nor runs and lasts for over a month between wipings. Well guess what happens when you cool coconut oil to 65F...

I had greenies all over the tub lids, the giant bowl i used for counting lasted till the coconut oil solidified, then they all started making a break for it. Its not been a good day. I had to heat up the tubs again and reline everything with olive oil and then drop them back down to 65F. Then everything went as planned.

The giant green bananas I have don't hide... they are CRAZY INSANE LUNATICS that run and flutter all over their cage, day and night! I have no idea how I'm going to round them up and feed them when the time comes (but I'll take @nightanole 's experiences to heart :)) Where did you get your giants at @Nemesis? THere are a few varieties possibly so we may have different species with different traits.

My regular green bananas I never see. I always think they're all dead and then I'll find a few who scatter and dig into the soil immediately.

The giant green bananas I have don't hide... they are CRAZY INSANE LUNATICS that run and flutter all over their cage, day and night! I have no idea how I'm going to round them up and feed them when the time comes (but I'll take @nightanole 's experiences to heart :)) Where did you get your giants at @Nemesis? THere are a few varieties possibly so we may have different species with different traits.

My regular green bananas I never see. I always think they're all dead and then I'll find a few who scatter and dig into the soil immediately.

I got mine at roachcrossings. And yes mine are so noisy they have to kept in a shut closet or they keep me up at night:)

What do you mean by noisy? What kind of noise do they make? I keep them in in a separate part of the house.

Yall are brave!!!!! I just can't do flying roaches. I think it is from growing up in the south... They have Palmetto bugs... AKA giant flying roaches. When you have long hair and one of these decides your head is the landing spot it is not a good thing. Nothing like running screaming with a roach all up in your hair and not being able to rip it out because it is now totally hooked into your hair. Good times.

Yall are brave!!!!! I just can't do flying roaches. I think it is from growing up in the south... They have Palmetto bugs... AKA giant flying roaches. When you have long hair and one of these decides your head is the landing spot it is not a good thing. Nothing like running screaming with a roach all up in your hair and not being able to rip it out because it is now totally hooked into your hair. Good times.

Not at all brave... once a week I crack a corner ... throw in some food and water and then run like hell! Green bananas are the least roachy roach I've seen. Still don't want to cuddle with one, but not as bad as others. I think adult dubia are way more gross, especially the males. YECK!

And when I'm in FL there are only 3 things I worry about: Alligators, hillbillies, and palmetto bugs!

Not at all brave... once a week I crack a corner ... throw in some food and water and then run like hell! Green bananas are the least roachy roach I've seen. Still don't want to cuddle with one, but not as bad as others. I think adult dubia are way more gross, especially the males. YECK!

And when I'm in FL there are only 3 things I worry about: Alligators, hillbillies, and palmetto bugs!
LOL I think the green banana's are at least pretty. I feed dubia but I do not breed them. I buy mine small. And as soon as they start looking way too roachy or big they are taken to my pet store and sold.
I remember when I first got Beman the pet store showed me an adult Dubia telling me I should feed them blah blah blah. It was all I could do to keep a straight face and not act like a crazy person.

This could be like Snitz said they are not True Giant Green Bananas.

It's actually very common that P. nivea are sold as P. exoleta. True P. exoleta are very hard to actually get your hands on they are rare even in the hobby, and people confusing them and selling regaular GBRs as GGBRs is a large part of the problem.

Or they get in your house and crawl on you in your sleep...good times :hilarious:

Ok since I was little my worst fear is sleeping and having a bug crawl into my ear :wideyed:

I actually know someone that happened to, my college girlfriends mom, starting go deaf in her left ear it got worse and worse, and finally she went to the doctor. A house fly flew into her ear to the drum, and got encased in wax in there.

I actually know someone that happened to, my college girlfriends mom, starting go deaf in her left ear it got worse and worse, and finally she went to the doctor. A house fly flew into her ear to the drum, and got encased in wax in there.
I am gonna have nightmares :wideyed::eek::oops:

Back
Top Bottom